"I cannot tell my wife how much I spend last night... in audio" Thread
Nov 27, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #17 of 36
yeah... my wife always finds out. 

I buy a lot of stuff and then sell it again when something else catches my eye. 

I used to buy new, and take a pounding when I sold it. 

Now, buy used, sell for about the same. She knows, but i think she's happy it keeps me off the streets. I don't drink, or smoke, and the kids are always catered for, so it works ok.

I don't recommend lying to your wife, as appealing as it may be.

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #19 of 36
  I don't recommend lying to your wife, as appealing as it may be.

Agreed.

A year after I joined, she found and opened up an invoice I mistakenly left on the kitchen counter for headphones she thought maybe cost at most $50; only in dreams can one get the Denon AH-D7000 for $50.  That incident resulted in a major disagreement, but it was civil and she realized that it was just another little hobby that I picked up.  We have very similar music taste when it comes to classical and after I had her listen to the D7000 and my setup at the time, she understood and knows that I lose little on the resale and more often break even (gotta scout out the deals).  The following anniversary, she bought me the Grado RS2 as a gift.

I have a fixed budget that I play with and I'm pretty disciplined with its boundaries.

With it comes to my CIEM, I just play dumb.  I can understand her thinking I'm a little nuts spending that much on a pair of acrylic nuggets. So far, playing dumb is still working.

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #20 of 36
"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive."  Walter Scott.

If you are going to lie to your wife, my advice is don't get caught.

Deliveries to work.
Receipts are hidden.
Low profile, say nothing unless forced into a corner.
When pushed, be vague.

Women; can't live with them, can't live with without them.

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #21 of 36
My girlfriends mother just told me, that her friends (other middle aged women) often buy clothes, and lie to their husbands about price - making it seem like they spent very little.

Sound familiar, lads?

tongue_smile.gif

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #22 of 36
  My girlfriends mother just told me, that her friends (other middle aged women) often buy clothes, and lie to their husbands about price - making it seem like they spent very little.

Sound familiar, lads?

tongue_smile.gif

Everyone spends, that's just a fact. The difference is just the object they bought, and often people with no interest in them can't justify the price of it.

Would I, or should I say, any of you be able to make sense buying a $5,000 piece of apparel? I guess it's safe to say, it would be easier for us to make sense of buying a $5,000 SR-009 
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #23 of 36

Everyone spends, that's just a fact. The difference is just the object they bought, and often people with no interest in them can't justify the price of it.

Would I, or should I say, any of you be able to make sense buying a $5,000 piece of apparel? I guess it's safe to say, it would be easier for us to make sense of buying a $5,000 SR-009 
tongue.gif

Too right.

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #25 of 36
She: Do you want to buy pretzels?

Me: No, $4 is expensive for pretzels.

She: Are you spending money on headphones instead of food?

Me: No! That's ridiculous!

She: Then why aren't you buying pretzels?

Me: It's just that I've been spending too much on pretzels recently.

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #27 of 36
I have learned/earned my lesson the hard way. The less I spend on audio gear the more sex I get.. from and with my wife of course
wink_face.gif
 . So the real question is do I deceive her when I tell her that the $500 unit only was $100 or do I just receive free sex for $400? 
blink.gif

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #28 of 36
For those undervaluing your stuff when telling your wives, just hope she doesn't have to sell them on your behalf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back