I came here a few days ago looking for some new cheap headphone, but now I want more.
Feb 8, 2007 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

SpacemanSpiff23

100+ Head-Fier
I have Senn PX 200s and I wanted to upgrade to something in the $100 dollar range. After looking around on the site for a few days, I've decided that's just not good enough. Now I'm thinking about upgrading on a much grander scale, but I need some help doing it.

I'm pretty sure I want the Audio-Technica A900s. I am also going upgrade my soundcard to a Chaintech AV-710.

After this I get a little confused. I know the A900s don't need an amp, but if I were going to get one I don't have the slightest idea what to look for. I would be using these headphones on my computer and using my old Senns any time I would be going out, so It doesn't have to be portable, but what do I know. Seeing how this would be my first amp (if I got one at all) it wouldn't have to be high-end at all. In fact, I would prefer it to be as cheap as possible without being a total piece of garbage.

After buying an amp, I'm completely in the dark. I've heard people talk about DACs and Sources, but I have no clue what they are or what they do. Also, anything else that you think I should know about (for example some other piece of software/hardware that I can't possibly live without), feel free to let me know.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

P.S. This site is going to ruin my life.

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #2 of 19
wheres-the-money.gif

laughing_group_270.jpg

Too bad for you sucker !
tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. This site is going to ruin my life.

It doesn't have to. Spend what you can afford and then go after the music. Take up a new genre, it's good for you.

As for an amp, there are a few good budget choices out there. If you're going to listen from your PC, take a look at the CoolerMaster Musketeer 3. Here's one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cooler-Master-Mu...QQcmdZViewItem

$40 shipped. It fits in a 5.25" bay and has one 12AU7A tube in there. The reason it's so inexpensive is because it runs off your computer's power supply. I've got one in my box and think it's halfway decent. There are other inexpensive amps, but I think this is one of the best deals out there.

A DAC is a Digital/Analog Converter. It'll take a digital feed from your soundcard, computer, CD player, etc. and convert it to analog. Most of the external ones are a step up from what you'll find in the average CD player or soundcard. They're worth buying, and the entry point for a decent one is about $100.

When people refer to sources, they're talking about things like CD players, computers, record players, AM/FM tuners, and stuff like that. Computer-as-source (what you're doing) is a great place to start. With even an entry level DAC, you can get terrific sound from your computer. After awhile, you might get curious about vinyl, SACD or maybe even reel-to-reel.

There's an awful lot of gear on the market, so it pays to stick around the boards and learn. Also, buy used. Always buy used. You'll get great deals and will be able to resell without losing much, if anything.

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #4 of 19
Thanks for all the info Eric.

I don't know if I really want to install an amp, I might want it a little more portable than that, but at $40 and a sweet looking addition to a really bland computer, it's certainly something to think about.

Where is a good place to buy used equipment (other than Ebay of course).

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Where is a good place to buy used equipment (other than Ebay of course).

The "for sale" forums right here, of course.

Feb 8, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for an amp, there are a few good budget choices out there. If you're going to listen from your PC, take a look at the CoolerMaster Musketeer 3. Here's one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cooler-Master-Mu...QQcmdZViewItem

$40 shipped. It fits in a 5.25" bay and has one 12AU7A tube in there. The reason it's so inexpensive is because it runs off your computer's power supply. I've got one in my box and think it's halfway decent. There are other inexpensive amps, but I think this is one of the best deals out there.

How's "half decent" ? Any reference amp? How do you benchmark it against any other hybrid amp ?

Feb 8, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 19
If I was going to get a portable amp, what would be some good choices?

Feb 8, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 19
In this thread, some people said the amp he was using was having a negative effect on the headphones. Will the Coolermaster Musketeer 3 have that problem? Will any amp haave that problem with the A900s?

Feb 8, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 19
In all truthfulness, your ears will be the ones to decide on the last say. I'd say go for the amp, and go from there.

Enjoy your stay, and sorry about your wallet. Looks like it's time to buy some more ramen stock
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #11 of 19
I ordered my A900s. They should be here some time next week. I'm still debating the amp and sound card. I think I'm going to get the Musketeer 3 just to have an easy access port and volume control on the front of my computer.

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

I ordered my A900s. They should be here some time next week. I'm still debating the amp and sound card. I think I'm going to get the Musketeer 3 just to have an easy access port and volume control on the front of my computer.

Plus it looks pimp.

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #13 of 19
After reading a few more reviews it sounds like both the Chaintech soundcard and the Coolermaster "amp" are bad choices.

If I got an amp (probably a Go-Vibe V5) would a new sound card be completely unnecissary? If not, what are some good affordable sound cards?

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

After reading a few more reviews it sounds like both the Chaintech soundcard and the Coolermaster "amp" are bad choices.

If I got an amp (probably a Go-Vibe V5) would a new sound card be completely unnecissary? If not, what are some good affordable sound cards?

If all you are going to get is the A900, skip the amp. It would just be a waste. Wait until you buy something that needs it. The A900 doesn't need one. I didn't hear any difference in quality when connected to an Xenos 0HA-REP.

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #15 of 19
I think you should be more focused on spending some money on a good pair of headphones than amps and all that. I mean, it is obvious that you can get amazing sound from a pair of headphones without any amplification, specially at your level.

I dont know how much you are willing to spend but there are many choices around $300 that offer great sound without amps. Grado SR225, Senn HD595s, A900s, IEMs like WM2s, ER4P, UE sfi 5, and if you want to go deep thw GRado RS1...I know there are others that i cant remember now.

I am a noob, but even the most experienced Headphoneus supremus say this is the way to go for entr level (Sub $300) Hifi sound.

I have been reading a lot here lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back