I burned myself with a soldering iron
Dec 25, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #16 of 54
I once stepped on a soldering Iron... that was fun and the first time in my life I was really dancing like crazy...

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by OGTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious (Not at all medically inclined!) what are the dangers of doing so?

I've always been told they are there to cover the exposed wound (and to prevent infection from setting in). I've always followed that advice to good effect. As for the details, I'll leave it to our medicallly-trained members.

Cheers!

Dec 25, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #18 of 54
Ouch....well it wasn't a soldering iron but, I just burned the top of my pinky finger trying to get something out of a 400 degree oven the other day. Accidentally crazed the oven rack now that is smart
tongue.gif
, no blister here, just burned right through my skin. Just keeping it clean with antiseptic and putting Neosporin on it.

Dec 25, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #19 of 54
I once went to tip an opened thermos upside down right over my tight. The water was just under boiling temp, and burned right through the pants. I had a blister like you.. except it was the size of a mug base.

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
usually you should put the burned area under running tap water for 20 minutes immediately after you got burned.

I did that. In my case, the skin just peeled right off
tongue.gif

Dec 25, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

usually you should put the burned area under running tap water for 20 minutes immediately after you got burned.

...running COLD tap water. Better yet - when you solder, keep a large bowl of ice water handy. If you get burned, IMMEDIATELY plunge the hand into the bowl, and keep it there just as long as you can stand it. If you get it in there in a matter seconds, there should be nothing worse than a red spot. I was told by the fellow to whom it happened, that he was once working in a fast food place, and inadvertently plunged his hand into the hot grease. He immediately took it out and put it into the ice bin. He just had redness.

Laz

Dec 25, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #23 of 54
i have burnt myself a couple times with soldering irons.

nothing as bad as described here though. usually the skin just turns red in a smallish circle (or the shape of the tip
wink.gif
) and eventually gets all hard and flakes off like days later.

i have ALMOST dropped my iron in my lap a couple times when trying to navigate wires with it. i ALWAYS wear thick cotton jeans when im soldering because of this. at least they wont melt to my skin....

ironically, since i got a better iron and stand i have burnt myself LESS than when i was using a cheapie. i dunno if its more practice or more skill. im happy anyways.

Dec 25, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #24 of 54
I've been doing DIY for a couple of months now and luckily no injuries, yet.

Once I burned myself touching a car cigarette lighter. The smell of burnt flesh is kinda nice. Smells like food.

Dec 25, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got these two big water bubbles forming on my hands. Guess I'll pop them tomorrow morning.

Yuck... too much information

Quote:

Anyway, anyone else have accidents with soldering irons?

Sure, plenty of times.
But I've burned myself much less since I got a butane iron. The fact that there's a live flame there and a hole through which extremely hot air comes out makes me pay more attention to the thing, and as a result I don't burn myself.

Dec 25, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Or put toothpaste on it.

Dec 25, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or put toothpaste on it.

NOOOOO
only if the burn isnt severe. if the burn is severe pastes/creams cause more dammage when removed.

Dec 25, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #28 of 54
I touched across my arm with a soldering iron once. It didnt hurt at all after the initial burn, I think I ended up just cauterizing the skin so there wasn't any pain....it scabbed up, few days later it came off, now I have a nice scar there.

Dec 25, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #29 of 54
I've had some minor accidents with a soldering iron, I think it was about twice that a bead of solder had flew into my face and it does sting/hurt. Lucky it didn't fly into my eye. (I had safety goggles on so it was good regardless)
I have a small scar which is sort of an indention on my face from where the bead of solder hit me.

Dec 26, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #30 of 54
Once in high school electronics I asked someone to pass me the iron. They passed it metal side towards me, I wasn't looking and gripped it with my fist. Got quite a nasty surprise :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back