I burned myself with a soldering iron
Dec 25, 2006 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

GlorytheWiz825

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, in my attempt to start DIY projects, I was practicing soldering wires together and ended up burning myself. I held the metal part of the gun instead of the insulated part. How smart. -_-; Now I've got these two big water bubbles forming on my hands. Guess I'll pop them tomorrow morning.

Anyway, anyone else have accidents with soldering irons?

Dec 25, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 54
Last month I hit the power chord with my arm and the tip of the iron hit the back of my hand. The smell of burning flesh is actually worse than burning hair if that's possible. Didn't get any blisters though, it only burnt through the skin so it was like getting a deep scratch.

Dec 25, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 54
Hi,

It sounds very much like you have second degree burns. Since they are on your fingers (I would assume index and second fingers on dominant hand), you don't want to mess with this. Get medical help. Here is an excerpt from the Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-burns/FA00022):
Second-degree burn
When the first layer of skin has been burned through and the second layer of skin (dermis) also is burned, the injury is termed a second-degree burn. Blisters develop and the skin takes on an intensely reddened, splotchy appearance. Second-degree burns produce severe pain and swelling.

If the second-degree burn is no larger than 2 to 3 inches in diameter, treat it as a minor burn. If the burned area is larger or if the burn is on the hands, feet, face, groin or buttocks, or over a major joint, get medical help immediately.
So it could turn into something serious. My advice is not to risk it, see a doctor soon.

Dec 25, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, in my attempt to start DIY projects, I was practicing soldering wires together and ended up burning myself. I held the metal part of the gun instead of the insulated part. How smart. -_-; Now I've got these two big water bubbles forming on my hands. Guess I'll pop them tomorrow morning.

Anyway, anyone else have accidents with soldering irons?

Happens.
Guzziguy is right, you have 2ed degree burns. I am assuming they hurt like hell. Be very careful about treating those, I would also advise seeking medical help to take a look at them and dress them.
BTW if they don't hurt, you may have third degree burns, and you need to get to a ER right now.
Take care.
Dana

Dec 25, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #6 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....PICS!

You really want pictures? Alright...let me get my camera.

I don't supposed it helps that it's Christmas so the doctor's office is closed. -_-; I might make a trip to the general hospital in town if it gets worse.

Dec 25, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #8 of 54
Pictures:

The other image is on my right below my fingertip on my index finger and kinda hard to get a picture of. It also looks kinda nasty so don't want to gross people out. :/

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 54
..........Ouch
eek.gif

/could of been worst...Only if it had happened to me
rolleyes.gif

They do look large / Not good at all....

Take Care

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #11 of 54
Ack! I second the comment about taking burns on the hands seriously. A couple of months ago, I spilled a bit of hot soup on my hand. It didn't really hurt that much, but after a little while the spot got blotchy red and started hurting like you wouldn't believe. It was so bad I literally couldn't sleep without holding my hand on a bag of ice. A day or two later it blistered up, and now I have a nice dime-sized red scar that itches occasionally.

Dec 25, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #12 of 54
ouch! I dont have a proper soldering iron stand so one time I just left the soldering iron on the table (granite surface) and walked away for a bit to get some wire. when I came back I saw the cord had shifted and now the iron was melting its own cord. Immediately I knew this was a very dangerous situation and that I probably shouldn't touch it as the insulation would burn through at any instant, and surely enough no sooner had I realized this I was greated by a loud ZAAAAP and a lot of flying sparks. Good thing the wall socket was in the washroom and had a built in circuit breaker.

Dec 25, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice.

Don't pop it.

It'll hurt even more if you do.

-Ed

Whaa? Whenever I get blister burns it always feels better when you drain the fluid, because the pressure and tenderness is also lost. have to make a pretty gaping hole in the burn for it to work though, it always ends up healing and filling back up.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever you do, PLEASE DO NOT pop those blisters!

Just curious (Not at all medically inclined!) what are the dangers of doing so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back