I "burned in" my new headphones, now they sound distorted
Jan 28, 2014 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ag8908

500+ Head-Fier
I left my Shure 940s on, driven by music from my MP3 player at 80% of volume all night (I normally listen at 25%). In the morning I went to see how they sounded, and some sounds seem to come out distorted (to describe it, it would be something between an insect's wings fluttering and fingernails on a chalkboard) sounds on some high mid or low treble sounds.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #3 of 10
I think so. It doesn't sound distorted for all sounds, but on some sounds I hear what I can only describe as insect wings fluttering or a scratchy sound. Before the sounds were always very smooth.

What's clipping by the way?

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 10
So I noted three songs which I thought sound distorted at certain spots, listened to them carefully using the old SRH940s and then relistened to them with the new SRH940s I just got in exchange at the retailer. They sounded exactly the same and it was just my imagination.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 10
I think a lot of times, the detail that can be brought out with these higher end headphones and earphones can really show how bad a recording is. The terrible things we can sometimes hear in songs we know well, were always there... We just didn't hear them through lesser headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back