I broke today my ER4s, I need a new pair of IEM
Jul 14, 2008 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cortes

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know what I did this morning in the bus but I broke in two parts the right ER4
mad.gif
. So I'm in the market for a new pair
biggrin.gif

I've done a quick search in the forum and I've seen that new models have appear since I bought my ER4s. I'm very tempted to buy another different model, but I would like to get something better if that's possible. I've seen good reviews of the pricey SE530. So please, someone who has listened to both could compare both?.

Things that I really like of ER4s and I dont want to miss:

- Isolation. That's terrifice in ER4s. Do SE530 or another can has similar isolation?.
- Detailed. I like this feature of ER4s because it allows me to improve my comprehension of English with movies. Yes, an odd feature for most of the people here but useful for me.

Things that I would like to have in the new set of phones:

- Comfort. I owned a pair of E2C some year ago, and I know that shure is quite more comfortable than Etymotic. I don't know with other high-end models though.

- Acceptance of falanges. I just like them more than foams. At least with ER4s.

So, please guys, any comment is welcome. Of course if there is not a clear improvement on ER4s I'll buy another pair of ER4s.
wink.gif

Ah!, any recommendation of shop that ships to Europe is also welcome!.

Thanks all.

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 9
I've listened to neither but I do know that shures have a warm sound and the SE530's have a treble roll off.You should also consider the ultimate ears triple.fi 10. Also you can buy stuff from amazon and get it shipped to Europe.

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 9
Why not get your ER-4 repaired? Shouldn't cost much. Someone once quoted around $80.
Win-win.

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 9
I had ER-4S for years and just bought my first alternate: SE530. I use a Sansa clip for the gym and an H140 with D1 amp/DAC via optical connection as my main rig. Here's what I've noticed after a ton of back and forth testing with FLAC files and mostly metal/prog rock/rock.

Isolation - About the same cause I'm using the same black olive foam tips I was cramming onto my Ety's. So, very good.

Comfort - Better with the Shure's. They don't stick out as far, and the whole cord mess is much easier to deal with. That's one of the biggest reasons I bought the Shure's. The Shure cabling is great.

Detail - The Ety's have more clarity and presence because of the better treble/high frequencies. But the Shure's still have a high degree of detail, so don't count them out specifically for "detail." I would argue that the Ety's. win here though.

What you will miss with the Shure's (very obvious) is the high frequencies and sharp clarity. I hate that part, but I'm trying to get used to it and accept it. So far my eq'ing efforts aren't helping to solve this.

What you will gain with the Shure's is more bass, possibly wider soundstage, and better comfort. Also mids are better - vocals and guitar solos come across as richer/fuller to me.

Overall the Ety's still ROCK in my opinion as the overall best sounding between the two because I like treble. But the Shure's make a nice alternate for me as my comfort and bass heavy phones.

1. I recommend getting your Ety's fixed. If your warranty is dead, they'll probably only charge you $50. I've broken my barrels twice now and they fixed them under warranty, Ety customer service rocks.

2. Buy the Shure's as an alternate if you have the cash and you like the pros I listed above. But I bet you'll still love your Ety's. after getting the Shure's. You certainly won't regret getting the Ety's. fixed.

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 9
Ex-ER4P/S owner here, and for $200 at soundearphones.com, you can get a pair of Sleek SA6s, which will more than make up for your loss. I have a pair of im716s, modded at 47ohm, and while they are fine when amped (very close to the ER4P sound), it's no contest. Get some SA6s and stop worrying. Just read the massive SA6 thread. Not too many naysayers, only a handful if that. Forget the Shures, for sure. Interested in wireless? Soon to come with the Sleeks. Interested in being able to adjust the sound to your tastes? Available with the Sleeks. Need to replace cable? Not a problem. If you don't like them, you can always return them. But you won't.

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 9
You might get them fixed from Etymotics for just the cost of postage both ways. I have had mine fixed with cracked barrels 3 times and the last 2 times were definately out of warranty. As stated Etymotics have really good customer service.

Jul 15, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks so much to all for your help. I think I'll follow the fixing path. I didn't know that was possible. I'll contact Ety to find out how to proceed.

Best.

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 9
If my ER4S is spoilt.. i would get another pair... i dun think any other IEM can truely match it
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back