I Break Earphones - Best Buy for 20 quid ($30)?
Feb 15, 2012 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Deckard1979

Head-Fier
Hi folks.

I love headphones.  I spend good money on them, and plenty on audio equipment in general.

Thing is, earphones plugged into my smartphone that I use walking to/from work... they break.  A lot. In fact, I've now destroyed two pairs in approximately 4 months.

I can't afford to waste money on expensive earphones which'll end up knackered quickly.  However, I also want something which sounds pretty good.

Can you therefore do the impossible, and recommend me a pair of earphones/IEMs for 20 pounds (UK) or under, which sound pretty good?

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 13
Well, I mean one solution is to stop breaking them. 
tongue.gif
 One way to do that is to just make sure to put them away nicely, rather than just wrapping them around your phone. One solution to that could be to get a pair that comes with some kind of case, to make it easier for you to remember to take care of them. For around $30 you could check out some of the Brainwavz headphones, like the Beta or Pro-Alpha, or MEElectronics IEMs like the M6 or M9.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm not sure why they break, as I don't subject them to any particular amount of stress. It seems to be something to do with the weight of my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2), which goes in the breast pocket of my coat.  Somehow there must be some kind of pressure on around the headphone jack area, as this is where they always end up broken.

Thing is, with earphone cables they're always so flimsy that they are nigh on impossible to repair.

Thanks for the suggestions though - I'll have a look...

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
I'm not sure why they break, as I don't subject them to any particular amount of stress. It seems to be something to do with the weight of my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2), which goes in the breast pocket of my coat.  Somehow there must be some kind of pressure on around the headphone jack area, as this is where they always end up broken.

Thing is, with earphone cables they're always so flimsy that they are nigh on impossible to repair.

Thanks for the suggestions though - I'll have a look...

I used to have that exact same problem, where wear on the jack kept killing my IEMs. When I got into better gear however, i learned to at least unplug them before I put them away, which only takes a couple seconds, but greatly increases the life of the headphones. Also, I just make sure not to subject it to too much repetitive wear and stress, which is really just a simple shift in mindset. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Actually, I do unplug them the moment I am done with them. It's an odd one - there's obviously something going on.  It may be that the heavy phone is simply shifting its weight in my pocket, and putting regular pressure on the jack area.

It's quite infuriating - I'd get a good pair, but if they broke soon after it would be a horrendous waste of money.

The Radiopaq Jazz did look quite interesting, but has some awful reviews in addition to the good ones.  In the end I went for the Klipsch Image X1s, for 17 quid... as those seem to have a fair bit of praise at that price.

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Actually, I do unplug them the moment I am done with them. It's an odd one - there's obviously something going on.  It may be that the heavy phone is simply shifting its weight in my pocket, and putting regular pressure on the jack area.

Never had that problem. 
I would think that if it's the phone's problem, the jack would break on the phone, not the plug.
The only moment of me breaking a plug is to my Portapro's and pulling at the plug like a half-brained monkey. It broke.

Check out Meelectronics in the multi-IEM universal review thread. Most, I think, have 90degree plugs which would relieve the strain. The M6-BK is my fav, I bought several pairs for my mother. (she loses them)

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:

It's quite infuriating - I'd get a good pair, but if they broke soon after it would be a horrendous waste of money.

The Radiopaq Jazz did look quite interesting, but has some awful reviews in addition to the good ones.  In the end I went for the Klipsch Image X1s, for 17 quid... as those seem to have a fair bit of praise at that price.

Maybe it has something to do with how you treat the plug while they're plugged in? Regardless, hope you enjoy your purchase.

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Maybe it has something to do with how you treat the plug while they're plugged in? Regardless, hope you enjoy your purchase.

Thanks man.  Well, they're not going to be anything amazing at that price.  Just hoping for something reasonable.  As for how the plug is treated when plugged in - yes, think it has to be this.  Didn't have this problem back when I owned a Zune/Cowon and both are lighter devices.  Reckon the Galaxy S2 just moves in my pocket and the jack ends up bouncing off my side while walking, or something.

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:

ignore the crap reviews on amazon, they are clearly written by utter morons.  the jazz are astounding for a tenner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back