I bought a MS1 and a AD700 at the same time
Feb 6, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will use a good source and amp and like them better than otherwise.

Yeah I have a Gilmore Lite and a Entech 205.2. I also own a Zero DAC. I just forgot to put it in my sig.

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 35
No need to post much about the AD700. I'm back-and-forthing them with my K701 right now, and they sound very similar. Besides the comfort, the biggest differences are that the AD700 just seems to have the slightly larger, deeper, more immersive soundstage at the moment, while the K701 sounds possibly crisper and definitely brighter. It also needs more volume to reach the same sound level.

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need to post much about the AD700. I'm back-and-forthing them with my K701 right now, and they sound very similar. Besides the comfort, the biggest differences are that the AD700 just seems to have the slightly larger, deeper, more immersive soundstage at the moment, while the K701 sounds possibly crisper and definitely brighter. It also needs more volume to reach the same sound level.

Would you say that the AD700 is a lot more forward? I love my K701 but I love trying out different sound signatures.

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say that the AD700 is a lot more forward? I love my K701 but I love trying out different sound signatures.

Right now, it's the opposite; I get the more immediate sound from the K701. It's like the AD700 are a slightly darker, airier version of the K701. Keep in mind, though, that my K701 has about 20 hours on it (got it yesterday); if burn-in is real for these phones, things may sound different a week from now. I've had the AD700 for three weeks though, and the sound is (to my ears) pretty much the same as they were when I first got them.

What do they both sound like to you?

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 35
Ah, gotcha. Well, it's something to look forward to. I keep A/Bing them trying to hear something in one phone that I don't hear in the other, but nothing yet. The main differences just seem to be in mood and air. One phone is slightly warmer, while one is slightly brighter. Will keep listening.

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 35
lucky, you're running the k701's without a external dac or amp?

then in your comparison the ad700's have the advantage of not really needing them. atleast not as much as the k701's.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lucky, you're running the k701's without a external dac or amp?

then in your comparison the ad700's have the advantage of not really needing them. atleast not as much as the k701's.

I'm testing them both through my Macbook and through a UB802. I'm not holding the extra impedance of the K701 against it; in fact, it's worthy to note that it's only three or four clicks behind the AD700 on my Macbook. On my UB802, it's about 1.5-2 hours behind, in terms of how far I have to turn the knob to have the same perceived volume between both phones. All my comparisons are being made at the same perceived volume.

Pictures of the two:

Note the K701 as I've modded it expands the fit far beyond the default headband extension; they would have been a misery to wear otherwise.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #11 of 35
I thought the AD700 were much more forward and certainly more energetic than the K701.

The K701 was too boring and dull.

As for MS1 vs AD700, MS1's certainly are nice but I much preferred the AD700's. It takes the energy and mids of the MS1's and adds a much larger soundstage. The bass is lighter in the AD's though.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The k701/702 are notoriously hard to drive (low sensitivity). Headroom recommends 300 hours burn-in to fully develop

Yeah, I'm trying to remember that (burn-in time). Believe me, I'm not having any trouble driving them. I will try to wait for 300 hours before passing final judgement. Right now, they seem like a thinner, brighter version of my AD700. That's not a bad thing, but right now, that makes the AD700 a warmer, wider version of the K701. I'll keep listening.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #14 of 35
the k701's are definitely not being driven/powered well in that setup.
frown.gif

there's more than just volume.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm trying to remember that (burn-in time). Believe me, I'm not having any trouble driving them. I will try to wait for 300 hours before passing final judgement. Right now, they seem like a thinner, brighter version of my AD700. That's not a bad thing, but right now, that makes the AD700 a warmer, wider version of the K701. I'll keep listening.

Sure its driving them, but is it driving them well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back