I Blame you Bozebuttons
May 12, 2006 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

vpivinylspinner

1000+ Head-Fier
Well Bozebuttons forced me to listen to his highly modified Melos SHA-Gold at the last NYC mini-meet for over an hour. Then he even went as far as telling me where I could get a stock one of my own. Of course his sounded so good I couldn't resist getting one myself so today this arrives.

Melos.jpg

Melos4.jpg

Melos2.jpg

Melos3.jpg

The sound with the Grado RS-1 is excellent while the numerous inputs make my life much easier. If I wasn't so upset I would have to thank him for introducing me to a great piece of gear.
tongue.gif

May 13, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 40
It really sounds great. I have only used the RS-1 and the Sennheiser HD-650 through it so far but surprisingly they both sound fantastic out of the Melos.

May 13, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Man, I love the black and gold look. Is that a remote I see in the second pic?

Yes it is a small universal TV remote that Melos apparently rebranded to adjust balance, volume and mute from the listening chair. It is a nice feature to have on a headphone amp to be able to adjust volume via remote.

May 13, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 40
Nice find! I'm curious where you found it too.

If you have a 2 channel setup and need a preamp, try the Melos! I've been very pleased with the performance of my Maestro
rs1smile.gif

May 13, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 40
Hell yeah! That looks familiar
icon10.gif
Long Live the Melos SHA-Gold! My Remote is branded too, but looks a bit diff - more black and rectangular.

May 13, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 40
Correct me if I'm wrong, Tom/Jahn, but the volume control is still just a potentiometer (or stepped attenuator if installed), and is still analogue. AFAIK, the pot. is connected to some circuitry that receives the remotes signal. [I know nothing of EE, don't flame my newbness
tongue.gif
]

The remote that came with mine looks different from the one pictured, and the replacement remote I recently received looks different from both mine and the one pictured....seems like Melos just bought whatever was available at the time?

May 13, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 40
it's actually a photo-something or other-meter. that's right, it changes volume based on the strength of the little light bulb shining on a photo receptor in there. Pretty funky, smooth, totally never gets crackly, but also never totally is zero in volume. Weird but effective.

Full name - The Porzilli Pho-Tentiometer~!

May 13, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #13 of 40
Wouldn't this just be a motorized knob then?

Could one still get a stock one of these?
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #14 of 40
i googled it and found this-

Last year I received a review sample of the new Melos SHA Gold preamp. It was a honey of a preamp, featuring the Porzilli Photentiometer, arguably the best volume control in the world. I got the chance to talk a little more with Mark Porzilli about his designs, but being a modest and somewhat shy individual, I came away with a feeling that I had only scratched the surface and that there was a lot more to Mark than was revealed by our brief conversations.

take that!
icon10.gif

May 13, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #15 of 40
Well, Lan -- what about it? 46 minutes has passed -- have you bought your Porzilli Photentiometer yet?
evil_smiley.gif

...and CONGRATS! to vpivinylspinner for the sleek seducer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back