I Basso HDP R 10 is IBasso DX 100 Japan Version impressions thread
Oct 8, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #1,621 of 1,630
Does any one know if the USB Audio Player works with R10? It might require too much processing power or a much newer version of Android but it sounds so good! I cannot test right now, I thought that somebody might have tried...

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #1,622 of 1,630
Jun 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #1,623 of 1,630
Dec 24, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #1,624 of 1,630
This was mentioned in the DX100 forum but there's a new custom firmware for the DX100/R10 with Fidelizer and other optimizations:
http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/ibasso-dx100hdp-r10-purist-rom-version-1-4-2-released/

I've been using Fidelizer on my PC for a couple of years so I'm familiar with the subtle improvements it can make. I already installed the ROM on my R10 via usb and Windows 7 as the img file wouldn't install via micro sd due to the firmware being labeled for DX100. It works for either unit although my R10's boot screen now shows DX100 before displaying the Fidelizer logo and the UI (afaik) more resembles the DX100's.

My R10 has never been so responsive. There's now (relatively) no lag within the UI and sound quality is also slightly improved. Not a huge difference as audio quality wasn't a problem with other firmware. It's difficult to A-B compare due to the time it takes to update the software but, so far, I'm surprised to hear more mid-range presence. Everything is still super clear and detailed but not quite as thin sounding. Still gathering listening impressions but the Purist ROM is certainly the best yet and has breathed new life into my R10 (glad I hadn't sold it yet). Hadn't used mine in a while and was still running the Russian Sound Explosion firmware (which was already faster than the slow stock software).

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #1,625 of 1,630
This was mentioned in the DX100 forum but there's a new custom firmware for the DX100/R10 with Fidelizer and other optimizations:
http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/ibasso-dx100hdp-r10-purist-rom-version-1-4-2-released/

I've been using Fidelizer on my PC for a couple of years so I'm familiar with the subtle improvements it can make. I already installed the ROM on my R10 via usb and Windows 7 as the img file wouldn't install via micro sd due to the firmware being labeled for DX100. It works for either unit although my R10's boot screen now shows DX100 before displaying the Fidelizer logo and the UI (afaik) more resembles the DX100's.

My R10 has never been so responsive. There's now (relatively) no lag within the UI and sound quality is also slightly improved. Not a huge difference as audio quality wasn't a problem with other firmware. It's difficult to A-B compare due to the time it takes to update the software but, so far, I'm surprised to hear more mid-range presence. Everything is still super clear and detailed but not quite as thin sounding. Still gathering listening impressions but the Purist ROM is certainly the best yet and has breathed new life into my R10 (glad I hadn't sold it yet). Hadn't used mine in a while and was still running the Russian Sound Explosion firmware (which was already faster than the slow stock software).
How would you describe the differences between Sound explosion (and which version did you use) vs Fidelizer? Sound wise and speed wise. Is it worth it the hundred $? My R10 has less than 20h playback because lag is annoying, I might be too used with modern smartphones.. THX!

Jan 7, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #1,626 of 1,630
How would you describe the differences between Sound explosion (and which version did you use) vs Fidelizer? Sound wise and speed wise. Is it worth it the hundred $? My R10 has less than 20h playback because lag is annoying, I might be too used with modern smartphones.. THX!

The Purist ROM is free (see first download link on the page). Only the Advanced/Enhanced ROMs require payment. That's one thing I like about Fidelizer: they always offer free (although a bit less featured) versions of their software. Can't say if or how much better the paid versions sound but I only play music locally on my R10 so the Purist version is fine for me.

I was using the SoundExplosion ROM previously (IIRC it was V3). From memory, the SoundExplosion was certainly more responsive and slightly more open sounding than the stock firmware. The Fidelizer ROM isn't quite as airy but sounds fuller while maintaining similar clarity and detail.

Speedwise, the Purist ROM is several times faster and the R10 now feels almost as responsive as my other DAPs running later versions of Android.

To my ears (again, from memory), stock and SoundExplosion sounded great but were too thin (overly lacking in low / mid-range) to use my HD598 headphones with the R10. The R10 has never needed an external amp but the software EQ (imo) is pretty poor so I leave it off altogether. Much of my collection (plenty of soul and jazz) just didn't sound right with brighter headphones as the R10 was already bright enough itself. Now, with the Purist ROM, I'm enjoying the HD598 / R10 pairing much more.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #1,627 of 1,630
The Purist ROM is free (see first download link on the page). Only the Advanced/Enhanced ROMs require payment. That's one thing I like about Fidelizer: they always offer free (although a bit less featured) versions of their software. Can't say if or how much better the paid versions sound but I only play music locally on my R10 so the Purist version is fine for me.

I was using the SoundExplosion ROM previously (IIRC it was V3). From memory, the SoundExplosion was certainly more responsive and slightly more open sounding than the stock firmware. The Fidelizer ROM isn't quite as airy but sounds fuller while maintaining similar clarity and detail.

Speedwise, the Purist ROM is several times faster and the R10 now feels almost as responsive as my other DAPs running later versions of Android.

To my ears (again, from memory), stock and SoundExplosion sounded great but were too thin (overly lacking in low / mid-range) to use my HD598 headphones with the R10. The R10 has never needed an external amp but the software EQ (imo) is pretty poor so I leave it off altogether. Much of my collection (plenty of soul and jazz) just didn't sound right with brighter headphones as the R10 was already bright enough itself. Now, with the Purist ROM, I'm enjoying the HD598 / R10 pairing much more.

Hope this helps.
Thank you, it sure helps, especially that I had exactly the same impression of a to thin, bright sound and no help from EQ either. With my HD 800 and Westone W4R I simply did not enjoy it. I had to use bass heavy headsets. I also listen to jazz, then rock, blues. I didn't know the Purist is free either.
So help much appreciated, I'll take my time to bring life back to my R10, THANK YOU!

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #1,629 of 1,630
As I remember reading a lot before buying mine R10 is better for a number of reasons I can't remember now. SQ reflected. Opamps, they work on different voltages and a few more. I think most of my research was done here on the forum. Nowadays I wouldn't recommend none of them due to old operating system and modern competition options

Users who are viewing this thread

Back