I am very curious as to what bitrate you guys listen to your music...
Dec 24, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #47 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, these threads are really amusing to those of use who lived through the days of analog audio where there actually was a significant difference between the various types of sources available. These days good DACs and modern encoding schemes provide such uniform consistency that people strain to imagine differences that most of the time aren't really there. I guess it just comes from a need to quantify things, no matter how small (or even nonexistent) any real differences are.

I've never seen a single real (meaning properly-conducted and blind) test where even trained listeners using high-end equipment could easily resolve high-bitrate compressed tracks from the source, yet somehow you commonly read of people here claiming to be able to easily and casually discern the difference. Think about it.

Interesting. This has definitely gotten me thinking. I think 128 kbps sounds good, but still use VBR, even though i can not tell the difference. I guess i don't have the "golden ears" eh?

I donwloaded some FLAC files, and compared them to 128 kbps. Could barely tell the difference.

Dec 24, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #48 of 64
I personally notice a stark difference between FLAC and 128 kbps. FLAC and 192 is still there, but drastically less annoying and mostly acceptable. FLAC vs. 256 kbps is mostly transparent, and I can usually only pick up differences in the most "active" music files.

FLAC and LAME V0 VBR are virtually transparent to me, although I must admit I haven't ABX'd any of these results yet. It's just what I've noticed when listening to music, as I usually only check bitrates when I notice something "off" with a track.

Eventually I'll have to do some ABXing to find my real transparent VBR setting. I'm guessing it's probably somewhere between V0 and V2, maybe V3 if I'm overestimating my abilities.

Dec 24, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #49 of 64
MP3 @ 256 kbps VBR on both iPod and Zune. I find this a good compromise between audio quality and battery life. I may go to 320 or even lossless once I get my SE530 tomorrow and give them a run-through.

Dec 25, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #53 of 64
ALAC/AAC & MP3 128-320kbps on PC & ALAC on iPod.
Good Luck & Happy Holidays
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Dec 25, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #54 of 64
256 AAC, 256+ MP3 and ALAC.

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #56 of 64
ALAC only. I just don't understand how people who populate this Board could listen in anything less
frown.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #57 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by raelamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ALAC only. I just don't understand how people who populate this Board could listen in anything less
frown.gif

Seriously?? Please don't start that.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #58 of 64
FLAC on my PC and I use VBR 320 .mp3 for portable as the size of the file reduces drastically.

How much smaller is an ogg vs a FLAC? If I could go to another lossless format and keep a .mp3 size that'd be great.

pink

Dec 25, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #59 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. This has definitely gotten me thinking. I think 128 kbps sounds good, but still use VBR, even though i can not tell the difference. I guess i don't have the "golden ears" eh?

I donwloaded some FLAC files, and compared them to 128 kbps. Could barely tell the difference.

Don't fret. I'd estimate about 1% of people who say they can hear the difference to be able to actually hear the difference between FLAC and a good vbr. It's not so much golden ears' as people loving their placebo.

If you can barely tell 128kbps then v2 vbr should more than cover you.

I store my music in FLACs but for portable listening it gets converted to v2 vbr. No need to waste space since I know I can't hear the difference between a good mp3 and lossless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back