I am trying to locate an “IIS” cable and don’t seem to be able to find one?
Apr 10, 2021 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

searchingtom

100+ Head-Fier
I am considering adding a digital interface to my audio chain (between my PC USB out to my DAC). I am trying to locate an “IIS” cable and don’t seem to be able to find one? What am I not understanding?

Thank you for your patience in dealing with this basic question.

1618071207857.png

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 8
I2S cable. An ordinary HDMI cable will do.

Apr 10, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 8
I2S was designed as a protocol between chips on the same board.
Some manufacturers use it to connect boxes.
As there is no standard for cabling, each does it in his own way.
You will find HMDI, RJ45, etc.
Even if both boxes have the same connector, if they are from different brands, the pin layout will be different too as there is no standard for I2S outside the same PCB.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...face-better-for-dacs-than-s-pdif-or-usb.7105/

Apr 10, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 8
I2S was designed as a protocol between chips on the same board.
Some manufacturers use it to connect boxes.
As there is no standard for cabling, each does it in his own way.
You will find HMDI, RJ45, etc.
Even if both boxes have the same connector, if they are from different brands, the pin layout will be different too as there is no standard for I2S outside the same PCB.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/study-is-i²s-interface-better-for-dacs-than-s-pdif-or-usb.7105/
Wow - the cable world is more complex than I thought it would be and more than it needs to be ?

Apr 10, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 8
When adding a DDC consider the Gustard U16 for compatibility. Or a Singxer or Matrix w/c you can configure its pin layout.

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 8
Cable is not enough. Your PC would have to have IIS output, which is unlikely. You need to stick with available outputs, which is USB. Anything other requires specific hardware.
The original poster is using a digital-to-digital converter with a USB input and IIS output. All (s)he needs are the right cable and a compatible DAC.

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 8
I would also like to see some advice that does more than let her know what someone knows about the purpose or function of IIS. If she walks into a very well stocked AUDIOPHILE STORE, what will she tell a salesperson that she is looking for? One needs to know which specific HDMI cable will work with the source port (example: A CD transport may have IIS capability) and the receiving port on the DAC as well. An AudioQuest Pearl is a choice that is often acceptable.. I have asked the same question from makers of DAC's with an IIS input and I cannot get a clear response. Hope this moves the discussion to a place where many feel better informed before he/she buys. Until you find the correct HDMI cable, USB transfer is your next best choice for better sound quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back