I am stumped - big issue.
Aug 10, 2010 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

iamthecheese

100+ Head-Fier
So I just finished building my new desktop which is running w7. I came from one that was running vista but I doubt that makes a difference. My headphone rig was the last thing I transferred over. When I started listening I very quickly noticed that every 3ish seconds the sounds skips like a skipping CD. I had just installed my musiland drivers so I thought that might be the issue, so I switched to my old usb spdif converter, and then the onboard digital out of my motherboard. Still skipping. So at this point I'm like o s*** my DAC is dieing. So I plug my d2ks right into onboard and the sound still skips.

I
Am
Stumped

edit: just tested complete rig out on laptop. also running windows 7. same drivers. sound is fine

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 16

Quote:
So I just finished building my new desktop which is running w7. I came from one that was running vista but I doubt that makes a difference. My headphone rig was the last thing I transferred over. When I started listening I very quickly noticed that every 3ish seconds the sounds skips like a skipping CD. I had just installed my musiland drivers so I thought that might be the issue, so I switched to my old usb spdif converter, and then the onboard digital out of my motherboard. Still skipping. So at this point I'm like o s*** my DAC is dieing. So I plug my d2ks right into onboard and the sound still skips.

I
Am
Stumped

edit: just tested complete rig out on laptop. also running windows 7. same drivers. sound is fine

What are using for playback on your comp? Could it be that the buffer is set too low? 

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 16
Well I just got maiko wasapi working http://maikoplugin.atspace.com/index.html
and its doing the same thing. The buffer wasn't overloading when I checked either...

Edit:what wasapi are you using i tried this one: http://adionsoft.net/winampwasapi/ and the same thing happened

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
Well I just got maiko wasapi working http://maikoplugin.atspace.com/index.html
and its doing the same thing. The buffer wasn't overloading when I checked either...

Edit:what wasapi are you using i tried this one: http://adionsoft.net/winampwasapi/ and the same thing happened

I am using Foobar, and am using the wasapi setting in there for my Essence STX. 

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 16
Just tried foobar2k with the wasapi setting for my musiland. same skipping...

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 16
it does seem like a buffer issue.. in foobar - edit - preferences - playback - output.. raise the buffer and see if it still happens

if so...

what type of files are you using?
are your windows  mixer settings set correctly?
are other programs/processes bogging down your computer?

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #10 of 16
Hmmm my new computer in an AMD 6 core..1055t with 4gb of ddr3 1600. I hope I'm not running out of resources. I ran this same rig on an amd x2 2.4ghz and 4 gb of ddr2 800 just fine, even when playing games and all. Ive tried all 10 usb ports on my motherboard and the 2 on the front panel.

I've tried my FLAC files, some mp3s, some HD movie trailers on youtube, popped in a cd, fired up a couple games and no matter the source its always all skippy. And it didn't seem to matter if I was using my musiland, generic usb spdif converter, or straight out of onboard sound.

Sorry gurubhai but how do I check DPI latency.

After I get home from work today I'll try to get a recording of it.

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #12 of 16
Oooo that looks like it would give me some answers, I'll run that when I get home from work.
Thanks!

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 16
This happened to me a while back and I was stumped until I tried the latency checker. In my case my wireless card was the culprit, when I disconnected the wireless it ran perfectly.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #14 of 16
Well I found my problem:

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 16
I actually just fixed the dpc lacency issue on my rig, for me it turned out the culprit was the c1e configuration option in the bios. In your case though it would appear you have a different problem from me as I was getting a mostly constant latency of around  2300 µs compared to your less frequent 30,000 µs.

I suggest that you start by disabling any devices and advanced bios options that aren't required for your computer to function and boot into windows, ie disable all potential culprits which near guarantees you get rid of the issue somewhere along the line so that you can start the process of elimination by re-enabling devices and options until you find the culprit.

- Disconnect all usb devices except the keyboard and mouse.
- If your motherboard has onboard video use that instead of your dedicated video card.
- Disable any add on cards such as sound cards, tv tuner/video capture devices, wireless card, modem etc.
- Go into the bios and disable everything that isn't required to function, ie disable onboard sound, power management, overclocking options, etc and advanced cpu options such as secure virtual machine mode, micro code updation, c1e configuration, cool & quiet.

Once you know you've got rid of the issue somewhere along the line, start by enabling a couple of devices/options then boot back into windows and run the dpc latency checker, shutdown and then enable another couple of devices/options then back into windows again and so on until you tracked the issue to the device/option in question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back