I am stuck... I need some advice please!
Dec 11, 2007 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

schaaf

100+ Head-Fier
Ok here is my situation.
I have been looking around here for a couple of months, and I seem to get nowhere. I have recently been allowed to up my budget from its lower price, and I have started looking all over again... It gets insane, what with all the choices and cables and amps and phones and places to look and prices and everything!

I am looking for an amp, dac, and headphones.
I am not looking to spend more than 1000.00

My current set up is iMac G4 > Senn. HD 555.

The source cannot change. That is what I have. All my music is either 320kbps or Apple Lossless. I am using iTunes.

I listen to a TON of Dave Matthews/Acoustic. I also listen to rock/alternative like Chevelle, Incubus and others of that type. I like bass, but in an accurate way. Not overblown boomy bass.

I want soundstage. I want to be in the crowd. I dont want to be up in the face of the band. (How I currently feel.)
I want clear precise highs, nice mids, and a lowrange that is there, but not overpowering.

I listen for hours at a time, so something that is going to be comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

I don't have the option to audition much of anything at all. I have looked/checked around and I dont have to many options for a local buy.

I have decided that I like the looks of the Meier corda Cantate system, as it has both the amp and the DAC, and seems to get fairly good reviews.

I am unsure what Headphone to pair with that. I am either looking at the K701s, DT 880s or the DT990s. (I have thought about the Senn. HD650s and such, but Im not sure I like the "on the stage" sound I currently have with my Senn 555s.) I have tried on some Ultrasones, and found them uncomfortable. They sit around your ear, but leave no room inside for it.

I am, of course, open to other suggestions, but please keep in mind my budget, and my preference for soundstage. I have looked at some tube amps, but I would then have to buy a seperate DAC and that would reduce my overall budget.

Anyone have any suggestions about this set up?

thanks!
schaaf.

Dec 11, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 5
Following were my criteria while I was searching for my setup

1) Mellowish, Laid back sound with good soundstage
2) Long time listening
3) Amp costing < $500
4) DAC costing < $300

I searched for about 6 months and finally settled with HD650-->MicroDAC-->Heed CanAmp. I haven't listened to HD555 but I do own HD595, which is a on-stage sounding phone. HD650 is not an on-stage sounding phone. HD650, HD580 & HD600 possess laid back sound signature. You may not like HD650 on the first hearing. So I would suggest you to audition it first.

K701 contains lot of fun. There is high chance one will like this phone on first hearing itself. Accuracy and detail separation are the strengths of this phone. If you compare K701 with HD650, you will find the strength of HD650. I have done the comparison and decided to keep both. If you are very detail oriented, then K701 should be your choice.

DT880 has very good resolution on the treble side. Superb soundstage. It's the most comfortable phone I've used so far. Unfortunately I couldn't listen to it for long time because of its over-emphasized treble.

Dec 11, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 5
The Senn HD600 and 650 both have a drastically different sound signature than the HD555 - so I wouldn't rule those out just because they are Sennheisers. In fact, I think one of those two cans might actually be what you're looking for - they have a more laid back presentation. Both the AKG k701 and Beyer DT880 are fantastic cans, but they are both considerably brighter and more "in your face".
One thing you might consider is giving HeadRoom a call. As you may know, they offer the components you are looking for, and I believe they have some package deals too. Plus, they have a 30 day return policy - so if you're not happy with your first choice, you can send it back and try something else.

Dec 12, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by schaaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok here is my situation.
I have been looking around here for a couple of months, and I seem to get nowhere. I have recently been allowed to up my budget from its lower price, and I have started looking all over again... It gets insane, what with all the choices and cables and amps and phones and places to look and prices and everything!

I am looking for an amp, dac, and headphones.
I am not looking to spend more than 1000.00

My current set up is iMac G4 > Senn. HD 555.

The source cannot change. That is what I have. All my music is either 320kbps or Apple Lossless. I am using iTunes.

I listen to a TON of Dave Matthews/Acoustic. I also listen to rock/alternative like Chevelle, Incubus and others of that type. I like bass, but in an accurate way. Not overblown boomy bass.

I want soundstage. I want to be in the crowd. I dont want to be up in the face of the band. (How I currently feel.)
I want clear precise highs, nice mids, and a lowrange that is there, but not overpowering.

I listen for hours at a time, so something that is going to be comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

I don't have the option to audition much of anything at all. I have looked/checked around and I dont have to many options for a local buy.

I have decided that I like the looks of the Meier corda Cantate system, as it has both the amp and the DAC, and seems to get fairly good reviews.

I am unsure what Headphone to pair with that. I am either looking at the K701s, DT 880s or the DT990s. (I have thought about the Senn. HD650s and such, but Im not sure I like the "on the stage" sound I currently have with my Senn 555s.) I have tried on some Ultrasones, and found them uncomfortable. They sit around your ear, but leave no room inside for it.

I am, of course, open to other suggestions, but please keep in mind my budget, and my preference for soundstage. I have looked at some tube amps, but I would then have to buy a seperate DAC and that would reduce my overall budget.

Anyone have any suggestions about this set up?

thanks!
schaaf.

I think you should go with the Beyer DT-880 and the Cantate. Meier amps and Beyer phones go very well together and the soundstage from the DT-880 is very good. I listen to a 2003 DT-880 using an Meier Corda Opera out of my Mac, and have no desire to upgrade I have had the 880's for several years and the Opera for about 6 months and they sound great every time I listen. Finally the DT-880's are about the most comfortable headphones out there. Given your criteria, I think you will be very happy with the DT-880 and the Cantate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back