I am SO happy with my new Westone ES5!
Apr 1, 2011 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

budx3385

500+ Head-Fier
I am SO happy. I let my new Westone ES5 burn in all day, and now the sound is SO wonderful. Tonality and timbre are spot-on, detail, dynamics and imaging are 5-star, and the coherence - YES - they truly speak with one voice.  YEAH!!!

I used ETY4S for many years, and with custom earmolds they serve very well. I bought a new cable from Apuresound and that improved them a bit. But I wanted more music.  I bought the JH13, and that has more music, but it is not coherent - I can hear the separate drivers quite clearly. And JH has no trade-up discount. 

So I read and read. I bought the JVC DX500 that recieved rave reviews here - they are not for me - too bold, and open to the world, no isolation. Next I asked for and finally received the Sensaphonic 2-MAX universal demo. It has a slightly tinny sound, like it's coming through a small brass pipe -- which it is. I sent it back.

And after much more reading, I finally found some reviews of the ES5 that lit my fuse.  I got the new molds, paid the fee, they arrived, and now I am SO HAPPY !!!!!!   YEAH !!!!!!

Looking for a great IEM?  I strongly recommend the Westone ES5.

Oh alright, I could have posted this on page 100 and something of the Westone ES5 thread, but it is too long to read already. This is short and sweet!

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 10
Would love to hear your impressions of the ES5 with your Sonett!!
etysmile.gif

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 10
Hi!  Me, too.  Unfortunately, it has only the balanced output.  But I can try it on the Rudistor, and I will tomorrow!

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 10
Glad to hear you're enjoying the ES5.  Can you give any more specifics about how they compare to your JH13?  Do you still have them?  And what exactly do you mean about being able to hear each driver separately?

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 10
Great to hear.  You should definitely post on the ES5 thread also.  The fact that you are a long time ER4S user w/ custom tips and have the JH13 as well is great.  A lot of people on that thread would want to hear what you think.

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 10
Not sure about ES5 but I think the JH13 really requires a amp.  I, too, found the lower bass bump a little incoherent from the rest and it did require a little more juice.  BY FAR the most ransparent IEM I have ever heard.  I am told an amp clears everything up with JH13. 

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 10
Pal, I see you loved it too much..  Nice to hear that..
Can you mention some more about sound signature specificly?
Thanks..

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Hi!  Me, too.  Unfortunately, it has only the balanced output.  But I can try it on the Rudistor, and I will tomorrow!

And on the Rudistor, the ES5 sounds rather amazing. Full complete sound space, just more in the head than my LA7000.

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Glad to hear you're enjoying the ES5.  Can you give any more specifics about how they compare to your JH13?  Do you still have them?  And what exactly do you mean about being able to hear each driver separately?

Hi. I see you enjoy the ES5 along with one I'd like to hear compared, the IE8. I wish I had its bass dial for the ES5, cuz it's a bit thin in the low bass yet. I turned up the bass on my DAP last night for it. But it is only barely broken in, so that's not a final judgement.

The lows, mids, and highs on my JH13 each have a slightly different color, and there's an obvious gap between the low and mid drivers. So instead of a coherent sound space, all of the music coming from one source, it sounds like three sources. The ES5 does not have this problem. I heard the JH16 universals at the Arizona meet (and had an outer ear infection afterwards), and they sound much better. But JH wouldn't take my 13 back as trade-in. The ES5 has gorgeous SQ, not quite as encompassing as the JH16 (from memory), but with really spot-on timbre.  So when I hear Bonnie Raitt's voice on an early album with the ES5, it's just as thrilling as on my speaker rig or my LA7000 using the super Sonett.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back