I am officially baffled
Apr 24, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #31 of 44
I would recommend the Grado SR-80's or Allesandro MS1's.

Thats $100 there, and they're fairly easy to drive but an amp certainly would help.

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #32 of 44
You seem to be judging things based on price. Seeing as your previous headphones were Triports and EX71s, you should be well off with any of the suggestions in this thread. Even the KSC75/35 will most likely impress you. If I were in your position, I'd be choosing between the SR60/MS1/K81DJ. I get the impression that you want something portable, and the Sennheisers you were looking at probably won't be the best choice for that use.

Actually, now that I think about it the HD25-1 is barely within your price range. That'd be a good choice too.

Apr 24, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #35 of 44
There are a few suggestions in your price range. I have owned the SR60s, DR-150s, AKG 240S, px-100s, cx300, HD485 and the AKG 501s. I listen to alot of rock/metal these days. I think the AKG 240S are pretty good cans to start with if portability is not an issue. They also scale with an amp. That being said, there are a few paths to take. If you consider headphones to be a burgeoning hobby, grab a few different house sounds with your budget or a can and basic amp. Use the "for sale" forums to stretch that dollar. The easiest recommendation are the Koss KSC-35s. They can be had locally for $19.99 and sound good. The grados are not doubt a wonderful value but they sound is not everyone. That may be said about all headphones. The last recommendation is if you purchase new, use a vendor with a return policy. Headroom and Todd the Vinyl Junky are both great and easy to deal with.
Summary:
KSC-35s
AKG 240-S
GOldring DR-150s( Yes they are that good to recommend with the other mentioned cans. I prefer them to the SR60 at least two to one. PM if you have more GoldRing questions.)

Apr 24, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave al'orange
K81DJ...built like tanks...

You forget that plastic part which attaches the drrivers to the headband. That part built like a straw.

Like straw? Are you kidding? The connecting joints feel very sturdy to me.

Apr 24, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
Actually, for $20 more than your original budget, you could get the SR225. They are $200 and should be a big step up from the SR60.

SR225 will be much better than the SR60. Better = more detailed, better dynamics, greater bass control, etc...

They are also perfect candidates for being modded. Headphile woodies, recables, reterminations are the first that come to mind.

I also agree with and recommend Kramer's MS-1 + PA2V2 suggestion.

Apr 24, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #38 of 44
If you're just going to be listening in your room, then you're probably better off listening to the grado/alessandro "it doesn't look that bad and so what if it leaks, it's great for your music," crew.

If you're going to be walking around with them, taking them to school, and so on, get the koss 35s or 75s. For $15-$20, you won't be out so much if they lost or stolen, they sound fantastic, they're light and tiny and convenient, and did I mention they sound fantastic? And did I mention cheap? You'll have enough leftover to get yourself ok canalphones and a few cds besides.

May 22, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #39 of 44
I figure everybody would rather me bump this thread than pollute the board with a new one, so here goes.

I'm still looking for a pair of headphones, but the good news is that my budget has increased to about $300. I was thinking about ordering some DR150s, but I've resisted so far and hopefully I'll be able to pick up a better sound with my inreased funds.

I've been looking at DT880s / 990s and ATH-A900s, and from what I can gather, they are all pretty good at rock. I guess now that my budget is higher, though, the Grado SR225s enter contention.

I don't know if this will help either, but this is the EQ I use on my computer.

eq0ko.jpg

Thanks again for all the help.

May 22, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boothead

Because of my preference in music, I think I would be better off buying some Grados. For some reason, though, I just don't like the look of them. I am a superficial person.

As of now, I am definitely leaning towards buying the 595s. Hopefully I can get some justification to spending all that money on them, but other recommendations are definitely welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Talking about music's a lot like talking about food or sex or surfing. Better to locate the audio shops near you, spend some quality time there (Magnolia Audios seem to be everywhere and have a few Senn's laying around. Grado dealers are pretty hard to find. If you live in/near a big city, some head-fi'ers could probably let you listen into their stashes). That's the only way to feel the Grado hard bowl scratch, the bass punch, etc. Then read up on headfi. Then back to audio shop. It's only after listening to a bunch of different open phones and IEMs that I had any idea what people are talking about: Soundstage, imaging, attack/decay, harmonic distortion etc.

May 22, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #42 of 44
I would say $300.00 puts you in different ballpark. But I'm assuming there is still the issue of effiency. Which rules out the K701. The DT880 is a very nice HP from all I've read, but I've heard it's not particularly good for rock. I think the ATH-A900s or the SR225's would both be good choices based on your musical preferences. Any other good advice for this new Head-Fier?

May 22, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Absolutely! The bass is definately pronounced, but tight, clean and controlled! That's what makes them so fun for rock.

.. Yes, the bass is tight and well controlled.
eggosmile.gif

really fun to listen to.

May 23, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #44 of 44
One last bump for me, I think. I've narrowed it down to the DT880 / DT990 or AKG K701. Judging by all of the posts I've read, they both sound like they are good for rock, so if anyone could provide an opinion as to what you think would be best for me out of the three, I would appreciate it very much.

Also, is there a difference between all of the year versions of the DT880? Because I can find an old version for $225, a newer version for $300, and the newest version for > $300.

Thanks so much again in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back