I am officially baffled
Apr 24, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #17 of 44
you want great rock 'phones? goldring's DR150!! exciting sound, balanced and sounds more than twice the price - $118. i'm spreading the gospel of the DR150s!!
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 24, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #19 of 44
grados for your musical tastes.

MS1 for $100 + PA2V2 or used govibe. A FAR better rock alternative for the $$ than either of those cans. Although the HD580 can sound very good with many rock tunes, but you need to scale up the amp ladder well beyond your budget to get them to do it right.

(Shameless plug - Im selling my MS1... see ad in FS section
biggrin.gif
)

Garrett

Apr 24, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boothead
In reference to open and closed headphones, how much sound is leaked out in open ones? Is it truly bad in that peolpe around you can hear the music almost half as loud as you are?

I have an Alessandro MS-1 and I have to say yes. If you don't want sound leakage because you're moving around then I'd say look into IEMs. I'm not really familiar with them, so someone else could better answer any questions. I love my MS-1s; they're a totally different headphone than my dad's HD600s, though. I still need to spend more time comparing the two phones, but right now I enjoy my Alessandros more for rock than the Senns. The MS-1s (and, I'm guessing, the SR-60,80,125,225) do put you in the middle of it all. They're a lot of fun.

ETA: I have a Go-Vibe for "portable" amping and a Cambridge Audio for my CD player. My mp3 player can push the Alessandros without a problem. I'm not sure what your source is, but you might be able to get away without an amp. Garrett's suggestion is pretty good though; the Go-Vibe can add some kick to those 'phones.

Apr 24, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
Actually, for $20 more than your original budget, you could get the SR225. They are $200 and should be a big step up from the SR60.

And [insert "chuckle, chuckle"here] a small step up from the MS-1
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #22 of 44
I think the HD 595 is adequate for rock, but I find the soundstage a little "blobby."

I think the OP should just get the SR 225. No sense messing around. If you like rock and want a great sounding can, albeit one with a small soundstage, just skip the upgrade path and do it. Then add an amp later. Then get a Senn when you want a different (no better, no worse) sound signature.

Apr 24, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #23 of 44
I'm going to totaly agree with warrior05. Goldring DR150's are brand new on the market, so not too many people know of the sound. They are fantastic for rock!!! They are forward, fun sounding headphones with great bass too! They are comfortable as all getout, look cool IMO, and are built very well. You'll have to order them from England, but they ship in about a week. Price is about $118.00. PM myself or warrior05 for the companies that sell these if interested. You'll be amazed! Plus these are very efficient, you can power them from a DAP no prob.

Apr 24, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #24 of 44
A warning about the Goldrings - Stay away unless you like INSANE amounts of bass. These really were surprising headphones though: For the price, they had a really fun and exciting presentation.

My personal recommendation (if I can think back to my days as a 16-year old person
icon10.gif
) would be to suck up the superficial end of things and get yourself a set of Grados, or try out the AKG K81 DJ.

Grados may seem ugly, but you'd be surprised just how accurate the posters are here when we say they look way cooler in person. I get more people asking me about my Grados BECAUSE of the looks than anything else. When I wear them, I feel like I could turn the crank on my backback a few times and ask for orders from the drill sergeant during a campaign in WWII.

Either way, the old staple applies - Try some phones out and get the ones that make you happy!

Apr 24, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #25 of 44
okay, we need to try and reel in the description "INSANE amounts of bass" a bit. let's try a comparison - DT770/80. the DR150s are not as in your face with bass as the Beyers. also, they - the Goldrings - are not boomy. the bass is tight and well represented and, yes, they are somewhat elevated but do they not drown out the mids or the highs at all. the Beyers have such recessed mids that i couldn't stand them with some music. the Goldring's are much more balanced.

Apr 24, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
okay, we need to try and reel in the description "INSANE amounts of bass" a bit. let's try a comparison - DT770/80. the DR150s are not as in your face with bass as the Beyers. also, they - the Goldrings - are not boomy. the bass is tight and well represented and, yes, they are somewhat elevated but do they not drown out the mids or the highs at all. the Beyers have such recessed mids that i couldn't stand them with some music. the Goldring's are much more balanced.

Absolutely! The bass is definately pronounced, but tight, clean and controlled! That's what makes them so fun for rock. I listen to almost everything that boothead listed, and find these perfect for his musical preference.

Let me know if you buy these from the site i gave you boothead, as we have kind of an unofficial DR150 club that would like to hear your impressions!

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boothead
I'm able to spend between $100-$180 to get my fix.

read title

Users who are viewing this thread

Back