I am looking for the best closed back headphone with great soundstage, clarity details.
Aug 20, 2015 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Dobrescu George

Reviewer: AudiophileHeaven
Hello!

After finishing my search for in ear monitors, and ending up with ie800, I want to start my quest for the best closed back headphones. 

So, I live with my wife, and she does not listen to the same kind of music, as me, so I need closed back headphones. 

I would love if what I buy can isolate well.

If I were to describe the best sound for me, I love how Ie800 sounds, how Hd800 sounds, and how Ultrasone Signature Dj sounds. 

The main problem is that even though I was looking into buying Signature Dj, I wanted to know if there are any other options worthy of consideration. 

My tastes resume to : I like natural tones, with enough bass, lots of treble, natural mids, and I strongly dislike thick sound. For example, Nighthawk from Audioquest are way too thick for me, Hd650 from sennheiser are nice, but do not have enough soundstage, beyer 860 has way too thick sound, and hd800 has a great sound, but the overly present treble makes the sound a little treble-spicky-happy. This actually would be great, but it affects mids too, and some instruments sound a little off to my ears. I could live with Hd800 happy, but I need something closed back. 

I tested to date almost every sennheiser closed back, LCD3, Ultrasones, amd a few others. 

A few personal notes:

Sennheiser Hd380pro - sounds great, soundstage is quite enough for me, but it is too smooth in the treble, and does not have enough sub bass extention. 
Ultrasone dj one pro - sounds great, enough soundstage, not enough treble, sometimes I would love more clarity and details than they can give
Akg k550 - Top end is a little spikcy, not enough extended, and soundstage is smaller than I want.
Ultrasone HdDJ series are way smaller than they look in photos, and do not have enough soundstage
LCD series - All of them are very heavy, soundstage and top end extention is not with my taste. they have the claritty and details good though. 

I want to ask for help, from anyone who has in depth experience with searching for a great pair of headphones, that are closed back, and have vast amounts of soundstage, lots of treble, and good clarity and detail retrieval. 

Price is not extremely important, but I am not going to spend more than 1000$-1250$.

Thanks and sorry if this question has already been asked, I already read most threads about this, still am looking for other opinions. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 32
If you don't need great isolation, the Fostex TH600/TH900 fit the bill. I've also recently been singing the praises of the JVC HP-DX1000. Great soundstage, very good isolation, beautiful sound. The treble does roll off, but not as much as people seem to think it does.

I recently was going to sell the DX1000 or TH600, but just couldn't bring myself to sell either. Just took the DX1000 off the market because it's too friggin' good.

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 32
Dt150 seems to have much less bass than I need. 

I would buy and use a Hd800 if they were closed, so I am a treble happy guy.

not to mention that I am particulary looking for flagships. 

Also, I think I did not mention this enough, I want very good comfort, and isolation. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 32
  Dt150 seems to have much less bass than I need. 

I would buy and use a Hd800 if they were closed, so I am a treble happy guy.

not to mention that I am particulary looking for flagships. 

Also, I think I did not mention this enough, I want very good comfort, and isolation. 

Have you considered Hers & His headphones ?

I didn't work for me, but it might for you. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 32
  what?

I have no ideea what do you mean

I mostly want some wide soundstage - closed back with lots of treble and tight bass headphones... this exists?

Sorry for the attempted funny.

Try to get the wife to listen to headphones too. Then you don't need closed back 'phones for you, and can listen to the HD-800 or other non-compromises open-backed TOTL model of your choice.

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #10 of 32

Sorry for the attempted funny.

Try to get the wife to listen to headphones too. Then you don't need closed back 'phones for you, and can listen to the HD-800 or other non-compromises open-backed TOTL model of your choice.

I tried, she is not interested. She uses Ie8 from sennheiser, and she can hear my music from my closed back ultrasone dj one pro sometimes. So, there is no way I can get open back.

Maybe you should look into MrSpeakers headphones..

I considered mrspeakers, but I have nowhere to test them, and form what I understand most of them either leak sound, or are laid back, where I want the treble to be proeminent, like a HD800.

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #12 of 32
I do not mind recessed mids, but I already own ultrasone dj one pro, which has better soundstage than pro900.

Also reading about pro900 at the moment seems it is very veiled and boomy. not exactly the cup of tea I was searching for. Seems like Oppo PM3 is not a very good option either. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #13 of 32
Have you considered the Shure SRH1540. Reading your requirements it seems like they would work for you. I absolutely love mine to the point where I could easily live with just that headphone if I had to. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #14 of 32
  Have you considered the Shure SRH1540. Reading your requirements it seems like they would work for you. I absolutely love mine to the point where I could easily live with just that headphone if I had to. 

that is a very good ideea, but shure srh 1540 is very smooth. I mean, It compares to hd600 and hd650 form the treble point of view. 

I already have ie800 from sennheiser, ultrasone dj one pro, these would sound way too smooth for my tastes. 

I still want more treble. I want to hear dat cymbals. 

On second thought, I clearly noted the fact that shure srh1540 is one of the clearest headphones in existence.

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #15 of 32
  what?

I have no ideea what do you mean

I mostly want some wide soundstage - closed back with lots of treble and tight bass headphones... this exists?

Sounds like Fostex TH600/TH900 to me. They isolate a medium amount (they let a little sound out, so listening loud might let your wife hear them), but you get extremely good soundstage for that small sacrifice. They have awesome bass, amazing clarity, and enough treble emphasis that some people are bothered by it. I'm a bit of a treble hater, and I've considered selling my TH600 because of it (the Sennheiser HD650 has exactly the right amount of treble for me, to put it into perspective). P.S. I know you're in Romania, so I'm not trying to sell my pair to you. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back