I am looking for the best closed back headphone with great soundstage, clarity details.
Aug 24, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #16 of 32
The answer is a Yamaha MT220 ..... 

Aug 24, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #18 of 32
I would look at the Alpha Prime, seems to fit the bill.  Needs an amp, though, but you should easily be able to find one that will drive it reasonably well while still staying within your budget.

Aug 24, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #19 of 32
  I would look at the Alpha Prime, seems to fit the bill.  Needs an amp, though, but you should easily be able to find one that will drive it reasonably well while still staying within your budget.

Alpha prime and fostex th600 ot 900 would be similar as I understand, none of which I can test before buying, and cost a fortune in Romania. 

I would really be interested to test one though, thing about which I am going to ask around a little. 

The answer is a Yamaha MT220 ..... 

Yamaha MT220 is nowhere close to a signature dj, hd800 or th600. Maybe somewhere near an ultrasone dj one, not even dj one pro, it is a mid end headphone, and I already have very pleaseing mid end headphones, ultrasone dj one pro. 

I am talking about resolution, detail retrieval and most important about how well the transients are being played. 

On the other hand, they have everything I mentioned above, and a great price. They are just not any better than what I already have, hence I am not really looking into them. 

I agree the Yamaha mt220 would suite you well. Or if you have the budget a Beyer t5p for it's amazing clarity and treble detail.

t5P is kind of interesting, but lacks good isolation, and is... well... beyer. I wanted to be into that signature, not enough treble. 

I do not blame them though, only hd800, ie800 and some ultrasones from everything I tested had enough to sound natural.

I am still looking into other options. 

Everyone, thanks a lot for opinions and help, it makes a good read, and I want to be informed before I pull the trigger on some headphones. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #21 of 32
That's interesting that you say this because when I owned them I thought they were one of the best isolating closed backs with boosted treble. But we all hear differently.

totally interesting...

There is also the possibility that we name treble other parts of the audible range, or we are much more sensitive to different frequencies to hold them as treble. 

To give an example :

this image shows shure's frequency response. As you see, after 10 Khz it is badly rolled off. But before 10 Khz it is bumped, completely opposite from most headphones.

Now, you might hear that 10khz bump as more treble, and I hear the rolloff after that as not enough, depending on ear shape, mindset, what you follow in music, and what you listen for. 

Interesting how different the same thing can be between two people. 

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #25 of 32
If you are still around you should stick with your gut and go with the signature DJs but if you are looking for something with excellent bass, jucy midrange the microscopic detail , and great isolation probably the best closed headphone under 1,000 that you will get  will be the Pandora hope vi's they actually sound better than my Beyer t1s and my akg 812s and they are open. Extremely hard to find a bad review on them. But over 1,000 it will be the th900s or the signature djs

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #27 of 32
  Also the Audeze LCD XC sounded fabulous but extremely expensive The soundstage and the bass was unbelievable.

Bass and soundstage yes, treble not. 

LCD XC had way less treble than I wanted. Not to mention they were heavy,......

I am looking forward to a signature dj then, because th900 I cannot test, and I already liked a lot sig dj sound. 

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #30 of 32
Try the Sony MDR-7506.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back