I am looking for recommendations for headphone/headphone amplifier setup on a $1500 budget
Nov 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kendrab

New Head-Fier
Circumstances have forced me to move from a large speaker based stereo system to a smaller headphone based system. I have become used to a very full range sound, and am looking for recommendations for a similar full range sound. I listen mostly to blues, jazz, and acoustic guitar music.

I am looking at a couple used headphone amplifiers. One is a Sugden Bijou Headmaster headphone amplifier, and the other is an Audio-GD Phoenix headphone amplifier.

Due to street noise, I want a good set of closed headphones, and am looking at a set of Denon ah-D7000's as one possible option.

Obviously, there are many options out there, and as I am new to this area of audio, I want your input so I can make an informed choice. When making a recommendation, please give me your reasons.

Thanks,

Kendra

Nov 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 6
  Circumstances have forced me to move from a large speaker based stereo system to a smaller headphone based system. I have become used to a very full range sound, and am looking for recommendations for a similar full range sound. I listen mostly to blues, jazz, and acoustic guitar music.

I am looking at a couple used headphone amplifiers. One is a Sugden Bijou Headmaster headphone amplifier, and the other is an Audio-GD Phoenix headphone amplifier.

Due to street noise, I want a good set of closed headphones, and am looking at a set of Denon ah-D7000's as one possible option.

Obviously, there are many options out there, and as I am new to this area of audio, I want your input so I can make an informed choice. When making a recommendation, please give me your reasons.

Thanks,

Kendra

The D7000 are not bad but they are colored. A little bass heavy again VERY good headphones  but are you looking for a neutral sound? Or something mroe fun and colored such as teh D7000

that said... If I had $1500 to invest into a nice pair of closed headphones...

I would recommend the Mr Speakers Alpha Dog $600 new, and I would take your remaing funds and purchase a Audio GD Balanced Amp Dac that suits your tastes! I own and enjoy the Audio GD 10ES2... You could try the NFB 28 which would put ur total at about $1300 or so...

As to the why. Again I own the Audio GD 10ES2 and it's a wonderful unit. The details are very nice, it's got power enough to drive any headphone very nicely [not end game but VERY capable] and the sound is very nuetral, very transparent! I am also a fan of balanced sound, and Audio GD balanced Amps sound better than their Single End Equvilants.

The Mr Speakers Alpha Dog... I listend to the Mad Dog... and it was amazing isolation! And a very balanced sound, how ever they Alpha Dog [I have not heard sadly] is from reviews and based on my time with the Mad Dog [The Alpha Dog is Dan's upgrade to the Mad Dog] so the Alpha Dog is VERY popular right now on head fi for... it's sheer details and balance! Based on what I heard with the Mad Dog, a very warm organic headphone with very nice details... I have 100% TRUST in reivews of Dan's Product. Not to mention Dan offers a 7 Day Return policy on his head phones [7 days starting the day it arrives in the mail at ur home]

NON the less, I think the combo would really be very wonderful! 

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 6
I wanted to add that I have a very good DAC (a highly modified Mdht Labs Havana DAC), so I am only looking for a headphone amplifier and headphones. 

Would a set of Audio-Technica ATH-W1000X headphones be a good choice for headphones? They seem to get pretty good reviews...

Kendra

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 6
  I wanted to add that I have a very good DAC (a highly modified Mdht Labs Havana DAC), so I am only looking for a headphone amplifier and headphones. 

Would a set of Audio-Technica ATH-W1000X headphones be a good choice for headphones? They seem to get pretty good reviews...

Kendra

"SQUEALS" YES but you need to mod your w1000x! I find the stock version of it is well lack luster. but I own a fully modded w1000x with L3000 pads [mods are very simple to do I'll link you to the thread for it if u'd like] but I do love my w1000x... how ever the isolation is Good but the Alpha dog isolates GREAT to put it this way. When I sit in my College class rooms the w1000x maybe blocks half the noise of the classroom chatter, where as with the Mad Dog [which isolates the same as the AD] would really tune out all of ppl noise completely. BUT I listen to very quiet music. Still with my w1000x at home I can't hear my room mates as they scream at each other so I would think the W10000x would do nice for street noise assuming you've got walls in your house 

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 6
I have decided to purchase the Sugden Bijou Headmaster as my headphone amplifier. I considered a few other options, but didn't need a combination headphone amp/DAC as I have a highly modified Mdht Labs Havana DAC. 

My goal is to get a set of headphones that have a wide frequency range. I am not a "bass head", I just want the bass to be realistic to the original music. 

I am now thinking a set of open might be ok. It appears a lot of work has been done on open headphones over the last few years, and the overall sound might be better if I go this route. 

I can get a pretty good deal on a set of Sennheiser HD 700's, or perhaps buy a set of new AKG K712 Pro headphones. Either option would fit within my budget, as the Sugden Bijou Headmaster amp was only $540.00.

Please keep giving me feedback on headphones that will be a good match to my Sugden amplifier. I live in a smaller community, and there are no places within 5 hrs to try headphone out. I will likely be having to decide what to order based on feedback here. 

As before, please make your suggestion, and then give your reasons for it.

Kendra

Nov 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 6
Hi there,

I am very fond of the match with ultrasone edition 9 and my Sugden bijou.
Nice deep bas, brilliant soundstage.
Closed headphone, at low playing levels no disturbens of outside noise. When playing other members of your family don't hear anything.

Grtz mdp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back