I Am Looking For Detailed Accurate Sound...Should I Get The Etymotic’s ER-4P?
Mar 5, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #16 of 33
i just bought the ER-4Ps from amazon myself. They indeed do have the new version with the twisted pair wire. At first i was a bit dissappointed at the lack of bass response, but then realized that it was there...just not boomy like the other headphones that i have (super.fi 3 and im616). The midrange and high frequencies are amazing. It is much clearer than the other headphone that i mentioned. Also isolation is about as good as it gets. I would not hesitate to recommend these headphones.

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is what one user had to say about the Etymotic Research ER-4P Earphones. Out of all the negative said...the one that struck a cord the most was LACK OF LOW FREQUENCIES. Whats your take on all this???

Here is the review below:

Summary:
Thought it would be like a portable Sennheiser HD600, reading all these positive reviews here. Unfortunately it wasn't. * I am not a BASS freak. I think Sennheisers have enough lows for any type of music, though a lot of people don't think so. So I safely ignored the comments on lack of lows on ER4P's. Well, I was wrong. I coudn't really hear anything I'd say below 100Hz. That is bad! * There will be a lot of background noise-and-hiss that will ruin the music when you use these with a lot of portables, and laptops. Since it picks up everything, it will amplify the noise also. Well I had to sell it on Ebay... No compare to Senn HD600's...

Strengths:
Sound isolation and detail are really good.

Weaknesses:
Lack of low frequencies!!! though itself is portable, will require a good source and amplification to justify the purchase and use; which makes the whole package a bit nonsense.

ymmv of course, but who would u rather believe - amazon or head-fi?

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #18 of 33
I recently purchased the ER-4P from Amazon and they go back on Mon or Tuyesday. I listened to it only long enough (1 hr) to know it is not for me. Maybe the high detail is there, but I haven't paid enough attention/time with them. The bass is definately low. I don't consider myself a basshead but I obviously like some.

My first impression was that they were nothing special. And both the foamy and triple flange bothered me. This might be true for any IEM, so it may not be a knock on the ER-4P specifically. I cannot comment on the cable microphonics compared to the past, but the cable is still microphonic. Ever time I turned my head the movement was heeard through the HP. Not bad when music is playing, but annoying inbetween cuts, and when music not playing.

If you are planning to use them in an amped situation (either at home or with a portable amp) and especailly if you want the best frequency response for mixing, you would do well to get the 4S variant or the cable that changes the P to an S (and can be switched back and forth). If like me you purchase the P alone, then the cable to switch impedances to get it to be an S costs about $50. So if you can find this as a P/S right off the bat it may save you some money. The downside (that I've been able to gather) is that the impedance change means it plays quieter so it may be inappropriate out of an iPod unamped.

Bottom line for me was I could tell because of the low bass thesee HP would never bne anything special for me. This was simply my gut decision based upon personal preference.

I hope that this helps in some way.

Laurence

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know where I can purchase the latest version that has the following improvements:

*Twisted wire cords design. (Eliminates the microphonic effect—amplification of cord movement noise—heard in earlier ER-4 series phones when you walked around or shifted positions.)
*Improved zippered portable carrying case with a sleeker, softer design; holds the coiled earphones and replacement flanges.
*The color of earpieces and cord splitter are jet black.
*Smaller mini jack plug.

Thank You.

Whoa, I just read this post. My pair was the black ones with the twisted wire. NO WAY the microphonics have been eliminated. I can't say what they used to be like, but the microphonics are still there.

I've got nothing against the 4P so I hope that this isn't taken as bashing. But I think that you should have as accurate information as possible for making your decision.

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NO WAY the microphonics have been eliminated. I can't say what they used to be like, but the microphonics are still there.

Ditto. And I find them irritating.

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jramonf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not true, granted you have a good seal. Check the FR graphics at HeadRoom.com, IEMs are flat down to 20Hz (at least).
http://www.headphone.com/technical/p...are+Headphones

From various graphs I've seen, I'm not quite sure what they mean in comparison the "real life" listening experience. So I'll stay out of any debate of what the frequency graphs mean.

What I do know is that I have Senn 580 that have been modified to HD600.
To me there is no question that the 4P has nowhere near what I perceive as bass in comparison to the HD600 in real world listening. I can't comment on that e-bay user repost in reference to 100Hz, but the rest would agree wiht my experience of the 4P. As far as the seal goes on the 4P, I assume it was good if it sealed out the ambient noise which it did quite well.

This latest 4P graph just makes me question the graph information and how it relates to what/how one perceives sound.

Again I don't mean to dump on the 4P but just want to provide information that is accurate to my experience. It was obvious to me that it wasn't my cup of tea as a HP so I didn't waste my time with it. And it wasn't that it was so terrible, it just was sort of there and I'd like to be wowed by a new HP. I've got no axe to grind and wish all 4P/S users well.

Mar 5, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #23 of 33
If you only listened to it for one hour, you didn't give it a chance at all.

Mar 5, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

From various graphs I've seen, I'm not quite sure what they mean in comparison the "real life" listening experience.

I think Headroom's graphs are useful, but you are right they can be misleading.

In this case and from my experience, I would say they show that IEMs (with an actual seal) have good bass extension. They tell nothing about the 'quality' of the bass though.

Quote:

To me there is no question that the 4P has nowhere near what I perceive as bass in comparison to the HD600 in real world listening.

That's arguably the reason why most IEMs have more bass than ER-4P/S.
There are many happy ER-4P/S users that like their bass though. Even if it's not a fullsize phone bass, which you feel on the outer ear.

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jramonf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Headroom's graphs are useful, but you are right they can be misleading.

In this case and from my experience, I would say they show that IEMs (with an actual seal) have good bass extension. They tell nothing about the 'quality' of the bass though.

of course frequency response graphs don't measure quality. that's not misleading. it tells u how much bass is present, and it's plentiful (compared to neutral standpoint, not compared to other phones with overpresented bass)

Mar 5, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you only listened to it for one hour, you didn't give it a chance at all.

I gave them all the chance I needed for me to make a decision. Even if there was a burn in process with IEMs, which I've never heard of, they would have to change radically for me to want to keep them. If you taste a dish you don't like, do you force yourself to eat a whole meal of it in the hopes that you impression will change? I don't.

I demoed the Shure E500 briefly, much less that 1 hr, and liked them immediately. With the Shures out there why should I mess around with something that doesn't appeal to me? I picked these up because I'd read good reviews of them and the price/return policy was right to try IEMs. Most of those reviews mentioned the fact that they seem to lack bass, and I learned that was a deal-breaker for me.

I never said that they are "bad" IEMs. I didn't even comment on the resolution and detail of the mid-range and highs as I didn't pay these that much attention. I did comment on the bass which was very apparent and the cable. These I feel qualified to give my impressions of.

I don't care if anybody or everybody buys ER-4Ps. I made the right decision for me. We don't all have to have the same taste, and that is why there are so many choises in IEMs.

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

If you taste a dish you don't like, do you force yourself to eat a whole meal of it in the hopes that you impression will change?

Yes, actually. In fact, I've grown to like certain foods that I used to hate because of it.

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #29 of 33
There sure growing on me.
etysmile.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, actually. In fact, I've grown to like certain foods that I used to hate because of it.

leave him alone and let him like his e500 more to justify the price he paid for them
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back