I am interested in getting into speaker building. But first some questions...
Jan 24, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check on Diyaudio.com as well as some websites like Madisound and Linkwitz. You'll find plenty of plans out there. The Fostex plans are nice and many are pretty simple.

The easiest way IMO to start is with open baffle designs. Even I was able to build a pair, and believe me I had no skills and very few tools.

Which such design do you reccomend?

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which such design do you reccomend?

I went for the Silver Iris 15" coaxial driver made by Eminence. 96dB sensitive, you can drive them with a couple of watts. See hawthorneaudio.com

There's also the Visaton B-200 (which are nice, I've heard them and had a pair on loan for a week), but my research suggested a beginner would have an easier time with the SI's. I've been very happy with my builds. They also make a 10". And if your budget isn't limited, they're getting into some higher end designs now as well.

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

I went for the Silver Iris 15" coaxial driver made by Eminence. 96dB sensitive, you can drive them with a couple of watts. See hawthorneaudio.com

There's also the Visaton B-200 (which are nice, I've heard them and had a pair on loan for a week), but my research suggested a beginner would have an easier time with the SI's. I've been very happy with my builds. They also make a 10". And if your budget isn't limited, they're getting into some higher end designs now as well.

The SI's are kinda expensive though arent they? There's good ones on parts express for $30... I don't think I wanna spend $150 on just the driver for my first speakers. Maybe later on.

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

The SI's are kinda expensive though arent they? There's good ones on parts express for $30... I don't think I wanna spend $150 on just the driver for my first speakers. Maybe later on.

I guess I'd peg them as "medium" price range, along with many of the Fostex drivers; with PE stuff being a fair bit cheaper, and many others (like Lowther, TAD, etc) a lot more expensive.

What size speakers did you have in mind?

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

I guess I'd peg them as "medium" price range, along with many of the Fostex drivers; with PE stuff being a fair bit cheaper, and many others (like Lowther, TAD, etc) a lot more expensive.

What size speakers did you have in mind?

Not sure actually... I don't want floorstanding though. Like bookshelf speaker size I think would be best.

The one here Parts Express DIY Project looks insanely simple. It's just a cardboard tube with PVC for the ends. The only things I don't get is what flush-mounting the driver is and how to do the wiring on the inside. Also it doesn't really say how big the hole should be.

The only other problem I'd have with that one is buying the drivers as I don't think Parts Express ships to New Zealand...

Edit: Ah they do ship to NZ but only for orders over $50... Since two of the drivers used for that tube speaker are $42 I supposed I'd need to get something else too...

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

I don't really need any speakers. I'm not gonna build them because I want speakers, it's just something to do really. Maybe I could make some money from it too by selling them for a profit?

If your willing to pay for my copter, sure.

What if I trade u business advice for yer copter? Ur tired of it anyways right... gonna sit in the garage gathering dusk!

To make (real) money, go to a good college (Harvard/Stanford) and become a wall street trader.

Short term? oh OK, become the nerd in your neighbourhood block, put up signs on the neighborhood to call u to fix their computers/iPods. blah-blah. If u don't feel 100% comfortable, just tell them u only charge if you are able to fix. By fix I mean software-related as u don't sound like the hardbody yet.

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if I trade u business advice for yer copter? Ur tired of it anyways right... gonna sit in the garage gathering dusk!

To make (real) money, go to a good college (Harvard/Stanford) and become a wall street trader.

Short term? oh OK, become the nerd in your neighbourhood block, put up signs on the neighborhood to call u to fix their computers/iPods. blah-blah. If u don't feel 100% comfortable, just tell them u only charge if you are able to fix. By fix I mean software-related as u don't sound like the hardbody yet.

I could get like $150 for it so I think I'd rather sell it
wink.gif

I was thinking of doing that. Or being an old-people-technological-carebear or something. Old noobs could ring me and I'd come round and set the clock on their VCR, tune the TV, set up their new DVD etc and they'd pay me loads coz old people are always rich... I was also going to get into the stock market at one point but I'm not really sure how so I gave up.

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #23 of 25
Sorry for the ressurect. I got a couple of questions...

I've decided that I actually have a NEED for some good bookshelf speakers that I can use in my room.

I'm not sure what design I'm going to use. To make it easier, I might go with this kit here Parts Expressayton BR-1 6-1/2" 2-Way Monitor Kit Pair or maybe something harder like this Parts Express DIY Project. The crossover design and stuff in that last link though, looks a bit tricky so I'll probably go with the kit.

I don't have a speaker amp yet. I was thinking of getting a quite old cheap Sony one or something, second hand from Trademe. Will any speaker amp do to drive them or do I need a certain type?

Anyone got any other ideas or suggestions for other speaker designs before I go ahead and buy it?

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by faiz23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would recommend using MDF if you want to build them your self

Ok....

But can anyone answer my question above?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back