I am interested in getting into speaker building. But first some questions...
Jan 23, 2008 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been trying to think of a fun easy hobby that I can do after I got angry at continuesly failing and gave up on RC Heli's. Speaker building has really caught my attention as it looks fairly easy, fun and satisfying as you get a cool finished product. My dad had also built a few speakers (haven't tried any of them though as I don't have a suitable receiver...) so maybe it runs in the family?
wink.gif

But first I need to know some things... How much skill is needed? My only experience in electronics is a breadboard electronics kit that I had when I was 10 and the electronics stuff I have done at school. I have some experience soldering both from metalwork and electronics. Woodwork is something I have never been that good at but I have got some experience with that too.

Is speaker building that hard? If I can just follow a guide for my first build that would help, otherwise I might get frustrated and give up. Is there a VERY VERY easy step by step guide for complete noobs to building speakers?

Are the parts and stuff easy to come by and fairly cheap? What type of money are we talking about for a simple easy first build?

Hmm... Lots of questions. Hopefully this hobby will be right for me and I'll be able to have something to do other than playing video games...
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 25
The easy way is to find a pair of older speakers with good, solid, heavy cabinets and bad to so-so drivers. Strip out drivers and crossovers, and replace with better. Refinish and re-grill as necessary, and some of the holes in the baffle may have to be reworked. I have a pair of Altec Seven cabinets I was going to do just that with, but my best friend gave me his Fisher 104's which he and I had done up just as described. They sound very good.

Laz

Jan 23, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #3 of 25
Great to see someone interested.

It's a brilliant hobby which has very rewarding results. Not everything you make will sound to your liking, but when it does it's a great feeling having built something that can compete with 'normal' speakers in a higher price range. Satisfying to say the least.

I’m going to recommend a few things to keep in your mind when looking at enclosures to build, but also remember that these are simply my views on the hobby after building a few pairs of speakers. What I say is what I would do, but make up your own mind. I’m as much a fool as anyone else. Most likely, I’m a bigger fool. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been trying to think of a fun easy hobby that I can do after I got angry at continuesly failing and gave up on RC Heli's. Speaker building has really caught my attention as it looks fairly easy, fun and satisfying as you get a cool finished product. My dad had also built a few speakers (haven't tried any of them though as I don't have a suitable receiver...) so maybe it runs in the family?
wink.gif

But first I need to know some things... How much skill is needed? My only experience in electronics is a breadboard electronics kit that I had when I was 10 and the electronics stuff I have done at school. I have some experience soldering both from metalwork and electronics. Woodwork is something I have never been that good at but I have got some experience with that too.

How much skill is needed depends a lot on how far you want to take it.

In essence, there are three routes in speaker building.

1.Stick with enclosures that are designed by others and are proven designs.
2.Modify enclosures designed by others.
3.Design them yourself.

Since you are (as I understand it) fairly young, I'd stick with speaker enclosures designed by others.
Modifying enclosures needs you to have built multiple different enclosures in order to be able to estimate how changes in design affect the sound. This can be done through mathematics and simulations, but since you are just getting into this, I’d highly advise you not to even think about the mathematical side of speaker building. For more of the same reason, skip number three as well for now.

Speaker designing is pretty much a fully understood progress by mathematicians and physicist but it’s a very tough subject and not something for anyone just starting to get into this hobby. Besides that, there’s always an experimental side so you’ll end up having build a lot of variations to your design before you hit the jackpot and have a good sounding design. There’s math behind it – but it isn’t perfect.

So, sticking to predesigned enclosures, how hard is it? That depends highly on the design. There are a lot of easy to build designs, and just as many which require some serious woodworking skill.

Quote:

Is speaker building that hard? If I can just follow a guide for my first build that would help, otherwise I might get frustrated and give up. Is there a VERY VERY easy step by step guide for complete noobs to building speakers?

It’s not hard, so long as you stick to a design that you feel confident about being able to build. There is no ‘step by step’ guide. The reason for this is because there is no golden rule to speaker building. Firstly, there’s standmounts or floorstanders. Then there’s single driver speakers, two ways, two and a half ways, three ways, line arrays, electrostats (stay the heck away from these for now! :)), and plenty more. Then there are the methods of using these setups: transmission lines, bass reflex, horn speakers, quarter wave, dipole, open baffle, etc. There are tons of designs freely distributed around the web. That makes this hobby fun, but also hard.

Your first build should be picked with two things in mind:

1.Easy to build.
2.Low cost.

In all honesty, sound isn’t that important yet. This is a learning stage and you will get sucked into speaker building. The result of having built a speaker and actually listening to it is very addictive, so sooner or later you’ll be looking for more speakers to build. Which is also the reason for keeping it cheap now. It’s your first build, and you’re bound to make a bit of a mess of it. You might build it perfectly, which would be splendid, but it’s important to keep it cheap for now in case you do mess up. Just a precaution. There’s plenty of time left to spend a lot of money…

Ok, you’ve got the requirements for the design. What options are there then?

Well, not many. You’re basically looking at a single driver design. Multiple drivers give a lot of problems. Most of the times, their designs are relatively easy to build as they are just boxes with a transmission line or bass reflex port. The vast majority of commercial speakers are speakers with multiple drivers. There are some upsides to building a multiple-way speaker:

1.Great extension.
2.Use of large drivers for the lows results in loads of slam and pressure.

However, the problem with these speakers are easy to see:

1.Multiple drivers. Equals more money to spend.
2.Needs a crossover. Equals more money to spend and more work to do.

Those are just my two most basic complaints against speakers with multiple drivers. My complaints against them go further than that but aren’t very relative to building them, and are more of a personal approach. The filterless single driver approach is my favorite in speakers. If you want to read up on the differences between these types of speaker and why one would be better than the other, Nelson Pass has a great down to earth article on the subject on his site, Pass D.I.Y. Home of DIY Audio, Amplifiers, Preamps and Speakers.

Let’s ignore my opinions on the theory behind the speakers for a second and focus on why I said a single driver.

The pro’s:

1.One driver. Cheap(er).
2.One driver. No crossover, equals cheap(er) and less work.
3.On some designs, no filter at all. Cheaper and less work again! Double win.

Downsides:

1.Often, the enclosure is somewhat tougher to build than a speaker with multiple drivers.
2.Not as much pressure in the lows.

I said the enclosures are harder to build. This can be true, but is too much of a generalization. I said this because a lot of single driver speakers are so called horn speakers. These are designs that are based around a rear loaded horn shape. Rear loaded since the ‘beginning’ of the horn starts at the rear of the driver. The horn is most often calculated for bass response, and uses the horn shape to amplify the calculated frequencies. These are pretty complicated builds for a first build, though doable if you spend some time. The second speaker I built was Buschhorn MKII sporting TangBand drivers:

1.jpg

As you can see, that might not be ideal as a first build. What would be ideal is a simple TL (transmissionline) or BR (bass reflex) speaker based on a single driver. Must be cheap too, so where does that leave us?

I have great experiences with Tang Band W4-655A / W4-655SA drivers. There are quite a few simple to build designs using these drivers. The drivers themselves cost roughly €25 a piece here in Europe, and sound pretty damn well for that price. I used them in three speakers.
There are some designs for the W4-655 here: TangBand - Lautsprecher
Other than this – I can’t be much of a help. Just look for single driver speakers with relatively cheap drivers.

And oh, don’t worry about getting frustrated and giving up. See it through, build the speakers, and enjoy them. Then you’ll get really hooked.

Quote:

Are the parts and stuff easy to come by and fairly cheap? What type of money are we talking about for a simple easy first build?

Parts are easy to source and can be cheap. My first build was the Cyburg Stick (see here, might be a fun read: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/mak...sticks-244099/)
Total cost for those speakers, including filter but excluding paint was about €150 for the pair. Which should mean roughly $150 in the US. Speakerbuilding can get expensive very quickly, but doesn’t have to become that.

As a rule of thumb, most items cost a quarter of the price of what they are being sold for in shops to build. Sure, it’ll cost you some time (which is just good fun) and it’ll save you a bunch of money in the end compared to a commercial speaker.

Quote:

Hmm... Lots of questions. Hopefully this hobby will be right for me and I'll be able to have something to do other than playing video games...
wink.gif

It’ll definitely get you away from video games. It’ll even get you out of the house to source parts!
biggrin.gif

Do you have the room and the tools to build them?

Be careful.

Wear eye protection, mouth protection when sanding or sawing, ear protection when it gets loud (ending up deaf after building speakers, wouldn’t that be a bitch?
biggrin.gif
), etc. You’ll probably be working with MDF. It’s extremely easy to work with and very rigid, but it is also bad stuff to get in your lungs. Don’t mess about with power tools and get people to help when you need it. Don’t work with power tools unless there’s either a friend or relative within shouting distance or a phone nearby. I hope this doesn’t come across as overly protective, but it’s easier to take off a thumb than to have it reattached… I’ve seen it happen and it’s not something I would recommend.

Hope that helps a bit,
Rik

Oh, a must to visit is diyAudio Forums - Loudspeakers.

Jan 23, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #5 of 25
I was looking to carefully get into speaker building myself... and this post was just what I needed...thanks Rik! As you're in the Netherlands I might contact you later on for some good places to source parts from

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 25
Thanks guys. I haven't said nearly everything I wanted to say, so expect another post sooner or later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a great post there Rik. You've almost got me motivated to build some speakers myself.

Almost.
tongue.gif

What would motivate you? Hearing a well sounding DIY speaker might just do the trick. You're always welcome over at my place should you need the motivation.
smily_headphones1.gif

In all seriousness -- it's fun to build things that you enjoy using. There's not much more of a motivation behind it, unless you the saved finances play a part.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking to carefully get into speaker building myself... and this post was just what I needed...thanks Rik! As you're in the Netherlands I might contact you later on for some good places to source parts from

Sure, if there's any way I can help out in sourcing parts, I'd like to do so.

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would motivate you? Hearing a well sounding DIY speaker might just do the trick. You're always welcome over at my place should you need the motivation.
smily_headphones1.gif

In all seriousness -- it's fun to build things that you enjoy using. There's not much more of a motivation behind it, unless you the saved finances play a part.

Well, I just lack the time to be able to make some. I'll be working 6 days a week for at least another 6 months. Maybe when I'll find the time I will start building some. Until then I'll work for 10 - 12 hours a day.

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

My only experience in electronics is a breadboard electronics kit that I had when I was 10 and the electronics stuff

The electronics is NOTHING. All u do is to stick a cross-over in there and hookup a few wires, yer done. The hard part is the enclosure, the acoustic, u gotta pick the TYPE of speaker enclosure (read up), then purchase the correct speakers for it. Speakers require certain enclosure volume to function properly.

Once I built the enclosures myself (too much work). Buy ready-made enclosure as suggested, then all you have to do is to apply finish and assembly.

Jan 23, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 25
Awesome guide Rik! Very helpful.

I didn't expect to be that worried about how the speakers sound for my first build. I don't even know if I'll end up using them since all the receivers we have are already hooked up to speakers...

Interestingly though, the speakers that my dad built have 3 drivers (looks like a sub, tweeter and midrange driver) and back then they wouldn't have that many guides and stuff so maybe he designed them himself? I remember him saying that back then the only way to get cheap decent speakers was building them yourself.

There's lots of tools an stuff for woodworking out in the garage so that I think that should be fine. That sate with designs for Tangband driver speakers is a bit tricky to understand though as it is in some european language (German?) and I am not very proficient in speaking (or reading) that language. Those DIYaudio forums have some really good info though.

I just bought a Little Dot MK II so I can't afford to build some speakers just yet. I might sell my RC Copter since I failed at that and then see if I can build a set before the end of teh holidays...

Edit: I also looked through an old thread I made about finding a hobby and found this link Zaph|Audio. It looks fairly easy and is a VERY cheap design.

Jan 23, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 25
I've built some speakers too, and it is great fun.

Just a couple of resources:

DECWARE / High Fidelity Engineering Co.
This is a more expensive site, but the forum has some great resources. Would be good to browse pick up some bits. (I did build the WO 'cos the plans were free, and i can literally shake my house if i really feel like it. However, for normal listening till sounds great)

Parts Express DIY Project Index

This is a good site. Peoples own projects, and very well documented from start to finish. Might be somewhere to get some ideas.

Jan 23, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've built some speakers too, and it is great fun.

Just a couple of resources:

DECWARE / High Fidelity Engineering Co.
This is a more expensive site, but the forum has some great resources. Would be good to browse pick up some bits. (I did build the WO 'cos the plans were free, and i can literally shake my house if i really feel like it. However, for normal listening till sounds great)

Parts Express DIY Project Index

This is a good site. Peoples own projects, and very well documented from start to finish. Might be somewhere to get some ideas.

That Parts Express thing has lots of good designs. What do you think about this Parts Express DIY Project one? It says its only $20 per speaker! The design looks easy too.

Anyone know if Parts Express ships to New Zealand?

Jan 24, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 25
I have to beg to differ, I dunn think building speakers are *that* fun. Not when one can buy ready-mades with not much money and usually much nicer finish, unless yer master of woodworking/painting.

Wanna send ur RC copter to me?
smily_headphones1.gif
I always wanted to mount a camera/video on an RC-something so I can take pixs at "impossible" angles.

Jan 24, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 25
Check on Diyaudio.com as well as some websites like Madisound and Linkwitz. You'll find plenty of plans out there. The Fostex plans are nice and many are pretty simple.

The easiest way IMO to start is with open baffle designs. Even I was able to build a pair, and believe me I had no skills and very few tools.

Jan 24, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to beg to differ, I dunn think building speakers are *that* fun. Not when one can buy ready-mades with not much money and usually much nicer finish, unless yer master of woodworking/painting.

Wanna send ur RC copter to me?
smily_headphones1.gif
I always wanted to mount a camera/video on an RC-something so I can take pixs at "impossible" angles.

I don't really need any speakers. I'm not gonna build them because I want speakers, it's just something to do really. Maybe I could make some money from it too by selling them for a profit?

If your willing to pay for my copter, sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back