I am giving up on computers.
Sep 17, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #46 of 135

Quote:
Mine has the IBM logo on it still.  Which model Lenovos were failing?  Maybe they went cheap on some component but the right models still maintain the Mil-spec ratings. 

I've been pointed towards higher end Asus and heard great and bad things about the CS so not sure.  Clevo always intrigued me but none are Thinkpads.

T51? Not sure. We bought a batch of half-a-dozen two-three years and all failed except one. Dell and a few Alienware laptops did slightly better - but not good enough. Asus customer service does indeed suck. They are a Taiwanese company so I would know.

They don't seem to make laptops like they used to. The P4 Fujitsu notebook I purchased in 2002 is still running strong.

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #47 of 135
The problem w/ the Vaios in the past were the same crap quality as the other brands if you bought outside of Japan.  I think some component combinations of China and Mexico culminated in an exported Vaio.  I heard great things about the Japanese domestic ones.  Makes sense when you understand the standards and certifications for tooling in Japan when they bring something new online.  Now I'm beginning to hear bad things about the Japanese Vaios too.  Oh well, disposable tablets for everyone.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #48 of 135
I don't have hardware failures.

This includes my old machines - including a 1985 Fat Mac.

I only run Apple hardware and Linux boxes I build myself.

Same with the OS. I don't run Windows, period. Windows is a psycho girlfriend. Some days, everything is wonderful. Other days, it goes batpoop crazy destroying stuff even though you did nothing wrong. Then while cleaning up the damage you worry that maybe it is your fault, after all.

Problems are incredibly rare. The last hardware change I made was swapping in a 300GB drive on the MacBook two years ago because I had filled up its original 80GB drive.

Also, I've more or less given up on computers. I used to upgrade all the time but don't much care today. As long as it's running I let it alone. Quite a bit of mymcomputing has shifted to the iPhone and iPad, too. They've proven highly reliable and do about 90% of what I need. The laptop gets used once a week maybe. The desktop even less.

Mymrecommendaion is to run a reliable OS on good hardware. Then you don't have to worry about it for years.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #49 of 135
Personally regarding apple computers i can't stand the software. Now the hard ware and customer support is what would gravitate me towards buying a macbook. I insist on laptops because i hate leaving everything at a desk in one location.

To uncle erik. I have never had any software issues with windows. I have no idea what is wrong with yours.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #50 of 135

Quote:
Aw....c'mon.  
frown.gif

Geez, have a laff.  If it makes you feel better I hate Sony Vaio's, Dells, HPs and Acers.  Don't be hurt.  
redface.gif
  It was Thinkpads not PC's btw.  
wink.gif
  The joke was more about the hardware than the software.  I guess I won't share the time she saw her brother replace the battery in his Droid.  
biggrin.gif

I haven't heard many sony horror stories but the other 3 are terrible. I have also found out that toshiba quality has gone down hill in the last couple of years.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #51 of 135
Hmm I guess everybody's experience differs?

I had a top of the line Sony laptop couple years back it's been like 4.5-5 years strong (still works), the only downside was the bloatware + "premium" price. Toshibas are great as well, that's why I was pretty surprised you received a faulty one.

I have no idea why people are knocking netbooks? In my experience, netbooks are one of the best (if not the best) on-the-go computing solutions.
The whole "app" based thing doesn't work for me, dropping a small sized SSD + cheap netbook with wireless N / good battery life + 2.5" external for storage is really viable.

Eye strain can be problematic to some? A friend of mine had to sell his because his eyes would get red and tired real fast...
ph34r.gif

Laptops aren't even worth it anymore for me.. - Netbook + custom built PC for my needs = is pretty much all I need

But like I said before - stay away from Acer, spend a bit more coin, get piece of mind lol

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #52 of 135

Quote:
Hmm I guess everybody's experience differs?

I had a top of the line Sony laptop couple years back it's been like 4.5-5 years strong (still works), the only downside was the bloatware + "premium" price. Toshibas are great as well, that's why I was pretty surprised you received a faulty one.

I have no idea why people are knocking netbooks? In my experience, netbooks are one of the best (if not the best) on-the-go computing solutions.
The whole "app" based thing doesn't work for me, dropping a small sized SSD + cheap netbook with wireless N / good battery life + 2.5" external for storage is really viable.

Eye strain can be problematic to some? A friend of mine had to sell his because his eyes would get red and tired real fast...
ph34r.gif

Laptops aren't even worth it anymore for me.. - Netbook + custom built PC for my needs = is pretty much all I need

But like I said before - stay away from Acer, spend a bit more coin, get piece of mind lol

Well my Toshiba still works I just can't use my internal cd drive. So I use an external.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #53 of 135

Quote:
Bought a Toshiba satellite l655d about 1 year ago. never used the CD drive. go to use the CD drive 10 months later. it doesn't work. but i didn't care because i have an external drive.

I hope you don't mind me asking what's (exactly) wrong with it.
Does the tray not open? Unresponsive? I understand you are a computer guy but I'm sure there are lots of people here that could chime in and help
blink.gif

Even if the laptop runs... the drive shouldn't be faulty like that especially if it wasn't even used lol it's pretty What.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #54 of 135

Quote:
I hope you don't mind me asking what's (exactly) wrong with it.
Does the tray not open? Unresponsive? I understand you are a computer guy but I'm sure there are lots of people here that could chime in and help
blink.gif

Even if the laptop runs... the drive shouldn't be faulty like that especially if it wasn't even used lol it's pretty What.

It opens and closes like it should but when i place a disc inside it fails to read it and spin it.

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #56 of 135
I own a Toshiba Tecra from MANY years ago. I have not have any problems with it and it handles Ubuntu just fine. Its in the shed now but the CD drive has broke as well. Guess its not just me

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #57 of 135

Quote:
Unfortunately, they don't make Thinkpads anymore (Lenovo does not count.), so I had to get a Vaio.
regular_smile%20.gif
All our Dells, HPs, and Lenovos at work kept failing. I'm at a loss at what to do.

See, I've used, in the last 7 years, two Thinkpads - my older IBM model Thinkpad (don't remember the model anymore - I gave it to my cousin) and my current X200 which is Lenovo branded. I have yet to see any distinct difference in software experience, build quality, etc . The Lenovo chugs along just as well as the IBM did. Now, I'm not sure about those newer models Lenovo has been releasing that look more fashion consumer oriented, but I stick to the Thinkpad lines because I like the use of heavy plastics, no-fuss design, magnesium roll cage, G-Sensors to detect a dropped laptop that immediately stop spinning the hard drive, and the spill proof keyboards with water channeling ports. They do everything they can to make sure that laptop will keep on keeping on, and mine certainly has!

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #58 of 135
I loved the IBM Thinkpads back around 2000 because they were bulletproof. In 2008, I decided to go with Lenovo Thinkpads because it appeared they were just as well constructed as the IBM. With a 83% failure rate, it was a bad corporate decision on my part! Most of the employees in my company travel, so these laptops get lugged around, abused, violated by TSA, dropped, handed-down, etc. They take far more abuse than what a college student will dish out.

It's probable I had a bad batch. But honestly, I think something was goofy with the PCB production and testing process. I suspect Lenovo increased testing tolerances. I as said in another post, laptops (among all brands) just don't seem as solid as they used to be.

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #59 of 135
It's entirely possible that Lenovo may have increased testing tolerances, but I personally think, your company may have got a really bad batch of laptops. My X200 started life as a college student's laptop, but I use it now as a field computer for work because my work laptop is so crippled and locked down that it is not even worth my time carrying it into the field. So in terms of lugging around, violation by TSA, being dropped, handed about, etc, it has had it's fair share of that as well. But it also actually spends time in the field. I work in Alaska, so I've whipped it out while outside in the cold (-30 - -40 F), while the wind is blowing snow everywhere during the winter, when dust is thrown around in the early summer, when it is rainy and foggy in the fall, an even on the rig itself where stuff has been accidentally kicked, dropped, covered and even once, accidentally had a glass of soda tipped over it. It's still been chugging along, and the only pain I have with it to date is the boot time is attrocious (probably, my own fault though), and the soft-touch paint on the lid is beginning to rub away.

I do miss the older pre-Lenovo IBM pads though. I grew up on them.

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #60 of 135
I've been reading about some mass failures on thinkpads attributed to certain Nvidia chips.  If you recall there was a recall a few years ago due to a problem w/ certain dies Nvidia was using for certain GPUs.  The same GPUs used in many other brands was recalled too.  Still, something to think about.    

The problem w/ most tablets and notebooks for me is performance and quality/durability.  I need a real PC platform, not a phone OS.  I need serious computing power, both CPU and GPU that tablets and netbooks are too far removed from.  The slowest smallest thing I could tolerate would be the Dell Alienware M11.  I just need computational ballz.  I also need something where the keys don't pop off, lid falls from it's own weight and the battery jiggles around.  I also hate chiclet keyboards.  My desktop keyboard sucks compared to my Thinkpad.  You can't get all that for less than $700-$800.  Just a fact of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back