I am getting an amp for my DT880s. I am lost. Can you guys help me?
Aug 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CrabbyTuna

New Head-Fier
I got the  Beryerdynamic DT880 250 ohm version and I want to know if the Fiio E11 or the Fiio E10 be able to drive them properly? (I know the Fiio E10 is a DAC/Amp)

If they don't then are there any other amps around the $40-$70 range that would? I don't mind if it is portable or desktop, I just want it to drive the DT880s.

I have also heard great things about the O2 amp. Is it worth spending the extra money?

I am not very smart so I don't understand  Volts,  milliwatts, Ohms and how they relate to each other, so figuring out what amp I need has been very hard for me. I just need someone to give me suggestions or point me in the right direction. I appreciate your feedback. 

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 5
The E11 wouldn't be a good choice, it won't provide enough volume for you.  The E10 is better, but still a bit weak on maximum volume.  

The O2 would be the best choice, no problem recommending that one, pretty much all the time.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 5
O2 would be my first pick, though out of your price range. The Fiio E09K sounds good w/ the DT880 and you may be able to pick up one used for that price. 

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I got the  Beryerdynamic DT880 250 ohm version and I want to know if the Fiio E11 or the Fiio E10 be able to drive them properly? (I know the Fiio E10 is a DAC/Amp)
If they don't then are there any other amps around the $40-$70 range that would? I don't mind if it is portable or desktop, I just want it to drive the DT880s.
I have also heard great things about the O2 amp. Is it worth spending the extra money?
I am not very smart so I don't understand  Volts,  milliwatts, Ohms and how they relate to each other, so figuring out what amp I need has been very hard for me. I just need someone to give me suggestions or point me in the right direction. I appreciate your feedback. 

The Fiio E11 can drive 250-Ohm Beyerdynamic headphones.

This might work for you.
PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2), sell on eBay for around $60.
Can work off AC or it's batteries

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
The Fiio E11 can drive 250-Ohm Beyerdynamic headphones.

Drive them, yes, but just not very loudly. 
Quote:
This might work for you.
PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2), sell on eBay for around $60.
Can work off AC or it's batteries

The PAV2V is essentially the LM4881 headphone amp chip.  Because it's operating on a single supply, there are huge 2200uF coupling caps in the output, and smaller ones on the input.  While this isn't a bad design, and is certainly high quality for low cost, the 02 uses no coupling capacitors at all, uses a dual supply (which is why no caps are required), and avoids the single un-buffered opamp output. The cost of the 02 is roughly twice the PAV2V, but it's easily more than twice the amplifier.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back