I am getting a Pa2v2 soon, so do I need one of those DAC devices to go with it?
Jun 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Just wondering this is my first amp purchase and also do I need to upgrade the cords or should I use the ones that come with the Pa2v2. 

I don't think you would need to upgrade your cords, not yet at least. Really for portable amps and DACs I don't think it is entirely necessary unless you are dropping serious cash on a higher end portable set up. I'm using the stock interconnect with my Arrow 4G, and I used a generic short interconnect as well, and heard no audible differences, even with some good mid-fi cans like the HE-400 and HD598.

As for DAC, it depends on the source you are using it with. If you have a decent source already, then no, you really don't. Basically, if you are satisfied with the sound right now, don't bother, it would just be another thing for you to carry needlessly and have to worry about. Besides, if I was going that route for portable I'd rather have one that is integrated into my Amp personally, as it would be less to carry around. 

But at the end of the day, if you are satisfied with the DAC of your device you don't really need it, and most portable players these days have decent ones as is. It is the internal amps that are usually underpowered, which the Pa2v2 should help with considerably. 

Hope this helps!

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 3
I have an ipod 2 gen nano and piiq headphones, don't know if that will help with the sound but I thought I might share that bit of information. Can you recommend any cheap portable DACs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back