I am fed up with the SPARKLE and TREBLE !
May 27, 2005 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

]|[ GorE

500+ Head-Fier
Somthings happening to me.I am not the 19 year old that i shoule be.
biggrin.gif

Point is:After having seen a few movies in a row at my local THX certified theater,my KTX Pro's and my Home Theatre are giving me the headaches.
I am tired of how clear the KTX Pros sound.I want phones that sound well damped and dark yet detailed like the theater sounds......I am ready to sacrifice a small amount of detail for the required sound.And the mids should be as flat as possible.

I say that the mids of my Koss are pretty similiar to that of the theater.So i am happy in that respect.

My QUESTION : Please recommend me headphones under 100$ that sound dark,smooth yet detailed and dont have a WHUMPA WHUMPA ploddy bass.
Since i live in the United Arab Emirates,the only available headphone are:

1)Koss
2)Senheisser
3)Philips.

Thank you !

PS:How on earth do some of you listen to the Grados's ? They sound horribly ear piercing to me....

May 27, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 18
Maybe HD580.... although I would not call them dark sounding. But they certainly dont have the sparkle of anything Grado (for example).

Oops.... will be near impossible to find them for $100.

Grados RULE!!! Incredible dynamics and transients. Im thoroughly enjoying my MS2... I cant believe how much sound, and "space" Ive been missing with my DT770 and MDRV6.

**edit**
If you dont mind a canalphone the e2c/e3c have recessed treble and have pretty controled bass.

Garrett

May 27, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 18
Based on your description of what you are seeking I think Sennheisers should definitely be on your audition list - it's just a matter of what Sennheiser model fits your budget.

May 27, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE
Thank you !

PS:How on earth do some of you listen to the Grados's ? They sound horribly ear piercing to me....

We don't listen to them, we stick them on our heads and pretend because we like the retro look of the Grado's.

Here's a tip *HP-2's* if you think these are ear piercing then I will give you a set of HP-phones.

May 27, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 18
Sennheiser hd555 or a used hd580 would be my picks. Too bad I didn't do a direct comparison when I had the 555 - from memory the 555 was definately the darker of the two, but the 580 was a bit better overall (resolution, air, extension etc). The 580 treble can get a little harsh at times compared to say the 650, but it's not nearly bad enough to offend or cause headaches.

May 27, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 18
The HD555. That and the 595 are overall smoother (in a good way, particularly the midrange) than the HD580 and 600.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2005 at 9:08 AM Post #10 of 18
I've managed to upload it as attachment, but had to "resize" it with Paint, I've nearly gone nuts
blink.gif

( blue line = 595 , red line = 555 )

May 27, 2005 at 11:05 AM Post #11 of 18
At the risk of being patronising, remember that frequency graphs don't tell the whole picture. There are things like attack, speed, decay, soundstage, etc. which escape the graphs
smily_headphones1.gif

But they are a good indicator of why certain phones sound certain ways eg. etys.

May 27, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #13 of 18
The hd555, while probably the darkest of the phones recommeded to you in this thread, DO still have a well extended treble that sparkles when necessary. But it is probably the best option for you. Meets your cost requirement and it really is an excellent phone for the money.

*edit-I removed stuff because I misread your bass requirement

May 27, 2005 at 11:23 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE
Somthings happening to me.I am not the 19 year old that i shoule be.
biggrin.gif

Point is:After having seen a few movies in a row at my local THX certified theater,my KTX Pro's and my Home Theatre are giving me the headaches.
I am tired of how clear the KTX Pros sound.I want phones that sound well damped and dark yet detailed like the theater sounds......I am ready to sacrifice a small amount of detail for the required sound.And the mids should be as flat as possible.

I say that the mids of my Koss are pretty similiar to that of the theater.So i am happy in that respect.

My QUESTION : Please recommend me headphones under 100$ that sound dark,smooth yet detailed and dont have a WHUMPA WHUMPA ploddy bass.
Since i live in the United Arab Emirates,the only available headphone are:

1)Koss
2)Senheisser
3)Philips.

Thank you !

A headphone well within your budget is the Philips HP890. They're very comfortable and they sound very similar to the HD600. Bass can be a little strong at times but I don't think its excessive. I was so impressed when I heard them that I bought a pair for my close friend's birthday present. I already owned the HD600 at the time so I didn't get one for myself. It's just sad that not many people around here speak of the Philips. The headphone even comes with an elegant silver-wire stand! Downside is that it's open and although it looks sturdy, could break down in the long term if you're not careful. Just treat them well and you'll be fine.

On your PS: If you're referring to Grados with Bowl-shaped pads then yes, I too find them terribly piercing! When used with flats or bowls and then given about 1 or 2 months of burn-in, the piercing disappears. Honestly, now they sound muffled compared to the HD600.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back