i am building an high end gaming pc and need help with a high end sound card?
Feb 7, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #31 of 45
Not to argue with you, but I would have to disagree. Let's go ahead and explain...

Frame rate for video is not fixed by any sort of "storage space" or "processing power" - film can run at any rate you'd like, and 24 fps was selected because it produces fluid motion. There's actually something that film does, called temporal blur or temporal anti-aliasing, which digital systems cannot do (digital video CAN because it generally comes from digital intermediaries, film), which informs why 24 fps works. No film is shot at a higher rate as it doesn't make sense. This is age old. Digital video equipment is designed to replace film, it can somewhat accomplish this (DC projectors, for example). It is therefore designed with the current standards and limits in mind.

There is no DBT that supports any audible difference between expensive amps or DACs, and you're drawing an unrealistic comparison there (because you could go pick something like an SR-009 that can't plug into an iPod); keep it relevant.

Now on to 120hz and 60hz and 600hz and all of that:

You have never viewed a film that was captured at 120 fps. They are not made. What you have seen is a modern HDTV with something called Motion Interpolation that attempts to create TAA through frame generation; it's a (mathematically/technically) better way to do something called 3:2 pulldown (in other words, most all TVs ever made have a field rate of 60hz, most content is 24 or 30 FPS - that mismatches). There is a very visible difference running MI, but it is not somehow producing the content at 120 FPS. You're still viewing 24 FPS content. Regarding "you can tell if the objects aren't moving fluidly" - that's a limitation of the display technology not the film itself (within reason, again, there is temporal blur, but 1/24 is fairly fast) - LCDs are especially terrible at this. CRTs, OLEDs, and most PDPs are more or less immune to motion blur. Display size has nothing to do with that either - do you think IMAX is a blurry mess? How about normal cinemas? Those do not run at 120hz. You absolutely do not want Motion Interpolation for gaming, as it inserts quite a lot of input latency between the game and the gamer; this affects your response time, this is documented (I will provide some links below for more information). 

Here's some links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803/1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag#Input_Lag_example_for_console_gaming
http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/66/

Regarding how many FPS you can "see":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

The article does a well enough job explaining that your eyes don't "sample" - they work in a continuous manner. Conventionally it is accepted that anything meeting the 30-60 FPS average is going to be "fluid motion" enough to trick your eyes. Anything extra is gravy. You can go "slower" than 30-60FPS if you have time data (film can do this) blurred into the media, but eventually the whole thing becomes a blurry mess (it's moving, but it's blurry). In other words, you're taking too large of a "slice" of time for your sample. 

Again, I'm not trying to pitch an argument here, but we're really talking apples and oranges when dealing with HDTVs and film vs CG. Yes, there is absolutely a difference with MI turned on. No, it is not agreed upon as universally better (there are MANY long-running debates in HT enthusiast circles as to what the "best" option is - if you like the feature it, use it!). And finally, yes, it does introduce more delay into the video system which is to the detriment of console games. My personal take is that MI is great for animated content (like CG movies and cartoons), but pointless for anything that was shot on film (non-CG movies), or videogames (which are starting to introduce motion blur on their own). 

As a final note, those Plasmas that claim 600 hz are using MI as well. 
Quote:
Not to sound like an ass, but I am going to have to disagree with you here. The reason films and other main stream media are not stored at frame rates higher than 30FPS is not because you cannot tell the difference, but because of the obscene amounts of storage space and processing power that would required to decode and display the video. The frame rates used for television and movies are high enough that the spaces between the frames are not so large as to draw your attention to them rather than the video being shown. Also, consoles run at 60fps, not 30fps. Older consoles such as the Nintendo 64 ran at 30fps, more recent ones are not limited to this frame rate though some developers do implement their own 30fps limit in cases where they are unable to obtain 60fps consistently. Drops from 60fps to 30fps are more likely to draw your attention than if it was running 30fps the entire time. Battlefield 3 is an example of this, as it is locked to 30fps for consoles.

As for your comment about the eyes of human beings being unable to register above 24/30fps, that is comparable to saying that your ears cannot perceive the difference between powering a high-end set of headphones off of an ipod or a multi-thousand dollar Dac/Amp combo. I don't mean to insult you or  to sound condescending, but having viewed films and other media on a 120hz monitor and other high end video devices the differences between 120fps, 60fps, and 30fps are quite vast. If you watch any film which was not interpolated or had any other kind of frame blending trickery applied, you should be able to notice that the motions of objects moving across the screen do not look perfectly smooth at 30fps. However, on smaller devices such as phones 30fps is good because the distances covered aren't as far.

I will agree that the difference between 120fps and 60hz isn't blatantly obvious if you haven't used it for long, like other parts of audio/video you grow acclimatized (Not sure if this is the right word to describe it?) When I first started using Sennheiser HD600's, coming from the Sennheiser HD457's, there wasn't that much of a difference to me other than deeper bass. Now after listening to the HD600's for over a year, if I listen to the HD457's I think "I don't remember these producing mostly mid bass and the highs seeming like there's a piece of cotton in the phones.....". Viewing games and other mediums at 120hz is kind of like that. At first only extremely fast moving objects were noticeably different, but now if a game forces 60fps it looks odd and it no longer looks completely smooth. On the contrary, before I upgraded to a 120hz display I was on the bandwagon of thinking 60hz was completely smooth and that people who thought otherwise were experiencing the placebo effect.

For our martin, I suggest that if you do end up buying that monitor you check if it uses interpolation to display the frames or if it can actually take 120hz input and display those same frames. Interpolation causes the monitor to create extra frames which takes time, causing large amounts of input lag. It also creates a blurring effect which you may or may not like. I was unable to find the specifications for the monitor, so I do not know if it interpolates or not. Also, I currently have the Asus Xonar STX and I have noticed that in games which have a large amount of overlapping sounds it will output crackling and popping sounds. With or without GX mode activated. My previous Creative sound card did not do this, but I use the Xonar for its superior sound quality as I usually disable the in-game sounds.

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #32 of 45
i agree with what your saying about cgi..the last three starwars films when they used cgi characters with normal characters they seemed to be moving at a different pace to the human characters and to me at least they looked like computer characters..the first three starwars films were much better using the older technology and to me they are classics like the old star treck series my friend..thanks once again for the input..the dolby reference monitor will be 34 grand so that's a no no..the super oled will be my best bet it will be about 4 grand about the same price as a 6 monitor set up..if dolby put that technology into mainstream monitors it could be a success but at that price it's sim 2 projector territory and i know which one i would rather have sim2 with out a shadow of a doubt..i am enjoying being on this headfi forum as much as i am on the battlelog i am learning quite alot about pcs monitors and hifi ..thanks everyone! just an update not going for the grado ps500s i have the ps1000s any way but there are for djing..i am getting a beyerdynamic headzone game i want the very best possible sound i can get for gaming..

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #33 of 45
I thought I'd chime in.  I would definitely give the Onkyo SE-300PCIE a close look.  I own the SE-200PCI LTD and it is a stellar card.  You should try to make sure that it does everything that you need it to though.  These cards are easily available from eBay.  I've ordered several Onkyo SE series sound cards from various sources and they all have worked flawlessly, so I suspect that you shouldn't have trouble if sourcing them from eBay.
As for TV/monitor, I strongly urge you to check out Laservue TV's from Mitsubishi.  It should be an interesting year with the LG OLED TV and Laservue going head to head.  In a few years, there should be an excellent selection of high-quality OLED displays.
If you are looking at a monitor instead, consider this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766411-REG/Sony_PVM_2541_Professional_OLED_Picture_Monitor.html

Lastly, graphics cards are your obvious ticket to high FPS in games.  Any modern graphics card/cards will do.  Just read reviews on the card's performance for the games you want to play.  It is easy to pick the right card and even the proper CPU for your requirements.  The graphics card is going to be MUCH more responsible for high FPS than the CPU.  My CPU is barely used in most games I play while the GPU is nearly 100% loaded.
This is no doubt the most comprehensive comparator of CPU and GPU out there:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2
Stay away from Sandy Bridge Extreme stuff unless you like expensive space heaters for a comp.  If you want super-future-proof sweetness, just wait until Ivy Bridge.
Or get what I have, the Intel 2600K, and overclock the piss out of it.

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #34 of 45
this is what the final and i mean this is the one my minds made up now it will be a maingear shift super stock with i7 3960x sandy bridge-e x79 chipset 3x 7970 graphics cards 24gb ram with asus rampage 1v exteme mother board aphex epic audio engine a performance cooling upgrade and acoustic pack sound dampering with 1200 watt power supply and beyerdynamic headzone game with samsung kn55es9000 super oled tv..but the graphics cards could change if the 7990s come out before the super oled is released and then i will get the sandy bridge z68 with two 7990s and if the ivy bridge is out i will get that and i think i will have a future proof build.. thanks for the heads up headfinoob! march 6th the ivy bridge will be released so i will be looking at some sort of ivy bridge and 7990 set up..i might go the corshair route and buy the parts myself from corshair and just stick them together save myself some money?

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #35 of 45
Make sure to get a water cooling system, the benefits of a kit water cooling system(shunned in some circles) is noise level.  I use a swifttech kit, the pump that comes with it is near silent.  I have it running at a constant 10%, same with the fan in bios. My system is not even audible where I sit... granted I don't overclock.  Its a nice compromise between an audiophile room and a gaming room.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #36 of 45
Quote: Originally Posted by obobskivich  Alright, well, I'm going to tell you a few things; maybe it'll help:   - Running at 120 fps will do nothing for anything unless you're using some fancy passive stereo 3D system (which you aren't); your eyes cannot register that fast (and I don't care who you are - this is just reality; there's a reason movies "work" at 24 FPS, and that game consoles "work" at 30 FPS - anything over that value is gravy - now in a perfect world we'd be able to run at 60 FPS to vsync with the display's field rate, and that isn't all that hard to do).   Not to sound like an ass, but I am going to have to disagree with you here. The reason films and other main stream media are not stored at frame rates higher than 30FPS is not because you cannot tell the difference, but because of the obscene amounts of storage space and processing power that would required to decode and display the video. The frame rates used for television and movies are high enough that the spaces between the frames are not so large as to draw your attention to them rather than the video being shown. Also, consoles run at 60fps, not 30fps. Older consoles such as the Nintendo 64 ran at 30fps, more recent ones are not limited to this frame rate though some developers do implement their own 30fps limit in cases where they are unable to obtain 60fps consistently. Drops from 60fps to 30fps are more likely to draw your attention than if it was running 30fps the entire time. Battlefield 3 is an example of this, as it is locked to 30fps for consoles.   As for your comment about the eyes of human beings being unable to register above 24/30fps, that is comparable to saying that your ears cannot perceive the difference between powering a high-end set of headphones off of an ipod or a multi-thousand dollar Dac/Amp combo. I don't mean to insult you or  to sound condescending, but having viewed films and other media on a 120hz monitor and other high end video devices the differences between 120fps, 60fps, and 30fps are quite vast. If you watch any film which was not interpolated or had any other kind of frame blending trickery applied, you should be able to notice that the motions of objects moving across the screen do not look perfectly smooth at 30fps. However, on smaller devices such as phones 30fps is good because the distances covered aren't as far.   I will agree that the difference between 120fps and 60hz isn't blatantly obvious if you haven't used it for long, like other parts of audio/video you grow acclimatized (Not sure if this is the right word to describe it?) When I first started using Sennheiser HD600's, coming from the Sennheiser HD457's, there wasn't that much of a difference to me other than deeper bass. Now after listening to the HD600's for over a year, if I listen to the HD457's I think "I don't remember these producing mostly mid bass and the highs seeming like there's a piece of cotton in the phones.....". Viewing games and other mediums at 120hz is kind of like that. At first only extremely fast moving objects were noticeably different, but now if a game forces 60fps it looks odd and it no longer looks completely smooth. On the contrary, before I upgraded to a 120hz display I was on the bandwagon of thinking 60hz was completely smooth and that people who thought otherwise were experiencing the placebo effect.   For our martin, I suggest that if you do end up buying that monitor you check if it uses interpolation to display the frames or if it can actually take 120hz input and display those same frames. Interpolation causes the monitor to create extra frames which takes time, causing large amounts of input lag. It also creates a blurring effect which you may or may not like. I was unable to find the specifications for the monitor, so I do not know if it interpolates or not. Also, I currently have the Asus Xonar STX and I have noticed that in games which have a large amount of overlapping sounds it will output crackling and popping sounds. With or without GX mode activated. My previous Creative sound card did not do this, but I use the Xonar for its superior sound quality as I usually disable the in-game sounds.  

Said everything I wanted to.

Monitors with 120hz are generally 24-27 inches, but if you are going with 3+ screens there is no point in getting a 120hz screen, since you will most likely never hit 120 FPS at that resolution. Asus VG series or Samsung 750D/950D series.

As for Sound Cards: Asus Xonar STX or Creative Titanium HD.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #37 of 45
i am thinking about going down the corsair route does anyone know what the best possible build would be i am hitting the net now trying to get as much info i can watching you tube videos your thoughts would be welcome thanks! i am making this build future proof so i want the best of the best and i don't know what sound cards they do not much info on them yet again i will be using the beyerdynamic headzone game but i still want a good sound card to make sure..i have picked the case the 800d full tower gaming tower but you never know they might bring a 800di out(only joking) theres some one on the web putting a corsair together looks easy enough but he left one small thing out he didn't show you it running it could be a pile of crap and not be able to run battlefield3 maxed out on ultra is that why it never showed him playing games is he trying to hide something?

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #38 of 45
I would geet an IPS screen, there are some e-ips that are about as good for gaming as a tn panel.  Maybe a frame or two back.  At the same time they have great even coloring.

I have a corsair gold power supply, its great.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #39 of 45
Mate, be wary of dual GPU setups in games
2 x HD7970 is not twice the performance of a single one, and depending on the drivers from AMD it won't NECESSARILY play BF3 any better than one card. But then again if you want six screens you would HAVE to have dual GPUs.

Also 24GB of RAM is way overkill lol, as are Xeon CPUs. Games like BF3 won't see much of a speed bump from using Xeons compared to high end core i7s. And 24GB RAM is only useful for very  high complexity video editing - and ridiculous amounts of high res image processing (and server apps n stuff that a gamer would never touch or need).

But on the other hand it looks like you have money to burn so its really up to you. Good luck!

Oh and that kind of PC will draw TONS of power so your electricity bill should skyrocket. And it's likely to be very loud/hot unless you get next level cooling..

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #40 of 45

Quote:
As for Sound Cards: Asus Xonar STX or Creative Titanium HD.

I'm a Xonar fan and they are a great multi-media sound card, decent gaming card, better headphone support.
But the Titanium HD has better gaming support.

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #41 of 45

I like both of these suggestions! 

On the IPS thing; *VA panels are also a very good compromise (they come from Samsung) as well. Not all TN panels are bad, having said that, but if cost is no object - SPVA or IPS would be my pick. 
Quote:
Make sure to get a water cooling system, the benefits of a kit water cooling system(shunned in some circles) is noise level.  I use a swifttech kit, the pump that comes with it is near silent.  I have it running at a constant 10%, same with the fan in bios. My system is not even audible where I sit... granted I don't overclock.  Its a nice compromise between an audiophile room and a gaming room.

Quote:
I would geet an IPS screen, there are some e-ips that are about as good for gaming as a tn panel.  Maybe a frame or two back.  At the same time they have great even coloring.

I have a corsair gold power supply, its great.

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #43 of 45

Head over to a dedicated site such as overclock.net. Best of the best will end up over 10K (my watercooled box hovers around 4K and it is far from the best). Start off with a custom case, I like stuff from Case Labs.
Quote:
...i want the best of the best...

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #44 of 45
adam lau thanks for the heads up on the overclock.net site i am checking it out now..i have seen the bloke on it before doing a test on 4x 7970s or something my build will beat anything that they can do and that's with me just using the web as my guide... quite a good site it looks like i will be able to get most of my info on here but not all of it..thanks adamlau..i will be using the maingear site as a guide aswell i know you pay over the odds for a pc from them but they would know a thing or two about gaming pcs..i will be waiting for all the new best of the best mother boards and graphics cards to come out but i am getting a rough idea now on what corsair stuff to get for the build..like the liquid cooling system and cables and the case and memory to save my self some money but i won't be holding back when it comes to the motherboard and graphics cards i will be getting the best set up i can..i might just get one 7990..but it will probably be more like two with the ivy bridge..spawn box gear review are good to watch aswell..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back