I am about to buy a zune later today unless YOU can stop me
Mar 30, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #16 of 43
I bought a Zune and have an Ipod

overall they have the same usability UI wise

Zune has better Sound Quality.

Apple has better software on the computer

Zune can't display Asian characters (chinese, japanese, korean)

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zune can't display Asian characters (chinese, japanese, korean)

Well. It can display Spanish characters like Ñ, É, é. ü. ¿. The point is: Zune is only fully available on USA with full warranty.
With the worlwide release we should get those missing characters..ok.

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #19 of 43
sounds like the initial doom and gloom portrayed by the media about the Zune is far from the truth. I remember reading countless articles with very few journalists and blogs praising the Zune, so it looked like it was a non-starter as a player. Now that the public has their hands on the zune and living with it day to day in their lives, there seems to be lots of positives in SQ, codec support, video viewing, future hacking potential, etc... Do you think the initial tar and feathering when the Zune first came out was all do to the power of the pro-apple lobby added to the anti-microsoft lobby that found ways to hate it even if the player had its good qualities.

P.S This is coming from someone that owns ipods, creative players and a Rio karma, but not a zune.

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #20 of 43
Every time you buy a Zune, God kills a catgirl.

So please don't. Think of the catgirls.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanafuda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you couldn't, there's no way I would have bought it. You can put ANYTHING on the Zune, so long as it wasn't bought off itunes or some other service (i.e. playsforsure). The Zune plays media bought off its own "marketplace" (which I'll never, ever use even once) and whatever you bring to the party that you already "own."

The only restriction besides that is the replay limitation on stuff you send wifi to other Zunes. I'd love to see them get rid of that restriction, but I can understand it, at least where the protected content is concerned. What's screwed up is that they impose the 3-day/3-play limitation even on unprotected content you send to someone. (it could be your own recording of your dog farting or something, but M$ slaps DRM on it) But keep in mind that 1) its not like ipod or any other player can even do wifi transfer, and 2) its not like youre gonna run into anyone else with a Zune anyway.
tongue.gif

Mine's in the mail so I can't tell ya buy it or not yet, but so far as your concerns are concerned, don't be concerned.

edit: oh about putting music onto the player. For now you still need to use the official Zune software. But turn off autosync and folder sharing right from the get go, then you can manually add to your library and manually designate what should be synced. Also with manual sync on you can delete the file off your PC hdd once its been copied to the Zune, and it'll stay on the Zune unless you delete it.

Plus, he can drag and drop from Windows explorer any folder with media files into the Zune software library. Then sync the contents to the Zune.

Johnbon: I get all my music from those sites and networks and my Zune plays them fine. There is no restrictions with the mp3s.

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by callanish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds like the initial doom and gloom portrayed by the media about the Zune is far from the truth. I remember reading countless articles with very few journalists and blogs praising the Zune, so it looked like it was a non-starter as a player. Now that the public has their hands on the zune and living with it day to day in their lives, there seems to be lots of positives in SQ, codec support, video viewing, future hacking potential, etc... Do you think the initial tar and feathering when the Zune first came out was all do to the power of the pro-apple lobby added to the anti-microsoft lobby that found ways to hate it even if the player had its good qualities.

P.S This is coming from someone that owns ipods, creative players and a Rio karma, but not a zune.

I tend to think you are on the right track, but another thing that I think got bloggers etc feeling anti-zune was that when the wi-fi sharing was announced as a feature there was huge buzz about it.. the critics of DRM (most everyone) were astonished that such a feature would be available.. people free to share music endorsed by Microsoft?! When it came out about how they actually pulled it off legally, the 3x3 restriction, people felt a bit irritated and the same DRM hating crowd (everyone) turned against it.

add that to the software being fairly buggy (how was itunes 1.0?) and it's a recipe for an already applecentric consumer contempt.

I replaced my 3rd gen broken ipod with one and i'm very happy with it.

enjoy your new Zunes
etysmile.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by callanish /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the praise you see here on Head-Fi is giving you a false impression of the Zune's acceptance by the people at large. It's my belief that relatively more Head-Fiers are willing to give the Zune a shot because it supposedly has what most of us consider the most important feature of a good DAP - great sound quality. We're very atypical in the sense that the average consumer does not use an amp, buy $100+ headphones, mod their headphones, use expensive interconnects, etc to assure pristine sound quality. The impression that I still get outside of Head-Fi is that the Zune is an abysmal failure and is largely irrelevant.

Mar 30, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the praise you see here on Head-Fi is giving you a false impression of the Zune's acceptance by the people at large. It's my belief that relatively more Head-Fiers are willing to give the Zune a shot because it supposedly has what most of us consider the most important feature of a good DAP - great sound quality. We're very atypical in the sense that the average consumer does not use an amp, buy $100+ headphones, mod their headphones, use expensive interconnects, etc to assure pristine sound quality. The impression that I still get outside of Head-Fi is that the Zune is an abysmal failure and is largely irrelevant.

Agreed
eggosmile.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree. Popularity takes time. Ask the iPod and look the Quarterly sales of iPod on the iPod wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod (bottom graph)

Until the arrival of the mini, Windows compatibility and the iPod photo, the iPod was completely irrelevant and a total failure.
For me, Zune as a whole is doing fine. After just 5-6 months. And its just a HDD based player.

Mar 31, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #26 of 43
I have owned a ZEN Neeon, iPod 3G, 4G, 5.5G, and two Rio Karma. Of all those none can match zune in terms of SQ from the headphone out.

My zune fed with NERO AAC 320kbps VBR can only be outclassed by my Panasonic CT-SL720 PCDP (and that's from the Lineout). Otherwise they scaled very close. zune only lose on overall dynamics and transients which IMO only a PCDP Lineout/Optical or DAP/Optical/Amp can produce. For this reason I am moving ahead from zune to Red Wine Audio iMod which probably the only DAP that can scale (even outclass) PCDP/Lineout/Amp. But then my completed iMod rig would have cost double of what I pay for zune.

Despite this, I will still recommend zune wholeheartedly because it is indeed a superb piece of DAP. Sure the software can be a pain in the butt. I only use zune software for synching. For ripping I still use EAC (WAV) and then use Foobar2000 with NERO Encoder for the final touches - then only I use zune software to sync. The good thing about zune software is the sync speed which is very fast!

zune also paired superbly with my RSA Tomahawk and Go-Vibe V6. zune headphone out is so clean and crisp that the receiving amp can amplify them flawlessly without any imperfections.

And with zune Support Division continously offering updates, I forsee that zune owners will enjoy further enhancement like True Gapless, better battery consumption etc.

So go for it. zune will not fail to impress
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #27 of 43
I love my Zune, sure the Ipod is a bit smaller and the software is terrible, but the Zune is still pretty small, especially coming from a gen 1 Dell DJ, and I don't really use the software much, so once I got my collection on there, it stopped being a problem. I would definitely recommend this player to anyone who's in the market, but it still has a lot of work to convert an Apple dominated market.

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every time you buy a Zune, God kills a catgirl.

So please don't. Think of the catgirls.
smily_headphones1.gif

How many people other than you do you think car about catgirls? Tell me the truth.

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #30 of 43
Thanks for all your suggestions. I am satisfied with my zune. Compusa has it on sale for $200 till the end of Saturday...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back