I am about to buy a zune later today unless YOU can stop me
Mar 30, 2007 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

FaBoLoUsRmX

100+ Head-Fier
Question: Is anyone here able to use WMP11 to put music on the zune?

My 30gb iPod broke and i made a thread about it before. Originally I was going to go with a 8gb flash player but i could not make the storage sacrifice. I have been doing some research on the zune and it looks like a solid device. The only problem i'm concerned with is the software. But since i'm pretty computer literate i think i can handle it. Most of my music is MQ-HQ mp3 so I don't have to worry about that either.

Is there anything I should know about the zune? Much thanks~ love you head-FI

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 43
Hey man,

You should get into contact mercuttio - he can give you the dirt about what's good and what sucks about the Zune. Make sure to tell him you're listening to Jpop on it. Especially Japanese chicks who want to be black...
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 43
Well, you cant use WMP11 with the Zune. But at www.zuneboards.com, there are ppl hacking the Zune software to show the WMP11 default interface. You can check it via www.zune-online.com, too.

the Software is fine..and the Zune is a better media player with version 1.3 release a few days back.

If you have any problem with your software install or usage, ask me I'll try to help.

I'll not stop you, just get your Zune. and use the iPod carcases as stand.
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 43
I keep hearing about how good the SQ out of the Zune is. I might end up getting one as my 4gig flash DAP is getting a bit... small.

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 43
Guys, I was debating yesterday about getting one. I don't need one I just like the way they look. Well...I got one and WOW, the sound is incredible! No need for the EQ. I have a ZV:M and it actually does sound better. That was kind of hard for me to accept
smily_headphones1.gif
. So far I like it. The software is not too bad. It's a lot like WMP11. With the normal software tweaking you usually do to fit your needs, you will have no problem. Another reason I bought it was I know people are going to hack the crap out of it, so in the future I am expecting better codec support, clock...even linux! But yeah, you can't really go wrong. I didn’t even need it (I have no will power)
smily_headphones1.gif
Im very happy!

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 43
^^ahahah....shigzeo..go away :p!

Wgr73, that was fast. Congrats. and Welcome to the Wow...! Now, update your sig.

I think the OP is buying his Zune..so not feedback from him..
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 43
Lol, thats right...I need to update my sig!

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 43
Look at the Archos 604, you will like, vey nice! Wi-Fi, Removable Battery & Hard Drive, Touch Screen, and all of the oter goodies. I think its like 380 at Sam's Club, around 400s at BestBuy and other Places. It has a big screen too!

edit: The Archos uses the same syncing program as those small Windows Mp3 players, Just plug in, and put on there with WMP11.

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by NtD Gr3nade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at the Archos 604, you will like, vey nice! Wi-Fi, Removable Battery & Hard Drive, Touch Screen, and all of the oter goodies. I think its like 380 at Sam's Club, around 400s at BestBuy and other Places. It has a big screen too!

I agree with Gr3nade. Its nice, but it is bigger too! Consider that. Like he said, check it out, who knows; maybe size doesn't matter to you. If not, this IS superior I think.

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 43
I think the Zune has a perfect size for both a Mp3 player and video player. I mean it is not too big, the screen is ok, and it doesn't weigh much, and SQ is top notch. Other player like Cowon A2, Archos are too bulky to carry around. Plus, if I really want to enjoy movies, I may better off watch it on laptop. I think the picture quality on the ZVM is superior than on Zune. Only drawback is it is too small to enjoy the movie.

Mar 30, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #13 of 43
Add me to the Zune conversion church. Ordered it a couple days ago, expect delivery Monday. I've already installed the software and copied the library already on ym PC fro 8G nano .. about painless to do really. I think if youre bringing your own music and video, pre-encoded and just dragged/dropped into the Zune software, it'll all be smooth sailin'.

(I reserve the right to come back to this thread and call it a POS if it doesn't work out.
tongue.gif
)

Mar 30, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #14 of 43
I've got to hop in here out of nowhere and find out what all the fuss is about here.

It's my brief impression that the Zune is supposed to be a player with heavy 'Plays For Sure' implementation and basically is being marketed as the mp3 player for those who buy mp3s off the net. What worries me is that it seems the player was made to do this, and only this. And since Microsoft, I am curious as to what limitations (hidden or not) they put on you and the device. So say you have downloaded or personally ripped music files on your computer, would you be able to put them on the Zune? Or do your files need to be digitally signed as legally purchased music? Or is there some encoding or trickery required to make your music collection playable? Also, what software or method are people using to transfer files onto this device?

If there are 0 restrictions on what kind of mp3 you can put on it and there is some drag-and-drop or otherwise quick and easy transfer software available (or coming, zuneforums?) then I might as well pick one up this weekend along with the Samsung T9 and give them both a go.

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So say you have downloaded or personally ripped music files on your computer, would you be able to put them on the Zune?

If you couldn't, there's no way I would have bought it. You can put ANYTHING on the Zune, so long as it wasn't bought off itunes or some other service (i.e. playsforsure). The Zune plays media bought off its own "marketplace" (which I'll never, ever use even once) and whatever you bring to the party that you already "own."

The only restriction besides that is the replay limitation on stuff you send wifi to other Zunes. I'd love to see them get rid of that restriction, but I can understand it, at least where the protected content is concerned. What's screwed up is that they impose the 3-day/3-play limitation even on unprotected content you send to someone. (it could be your own recording of your dog farting or something, but M$ slaps DRM on it) But keep in mind that 1) its not like ipod or any other player can even do wifi transfer, and 2) its not like youre gonna run into anyone else with a Zune anyway.
tongue.gif

Mine's in the mail so I can't tell ya buy it or not yet, but so far as your concerns are concerned, don't be concerned.

edit: oh about putting music onto the player. For now you still need to use the official Zune software. But turn off autosync and folder sharing right from the get go, then you can manually add to your library and manually designate what should be synced. Also with manual sync on you can delete the file off your PC hdd once its been copied to the Zune, and it'll stay on the Zune unless you delete it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back