I always forget how folks in the USA are innundated with ads
Mar 29, 2004 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Dominick

Sponsor SLAPPA
I was born here (NJ), grew up here and until I moved to Hong Kong 13 years ago never lived anywhere outside of the U.S.

I do travel back here about 3-4 times a year for business, and just landed in LA yesterday.

It's always great coming back to the USA. There is lots that I do miss here (but also lots that I don't miss at all).

As I said, 90% of the time that I come back is for business. Right now we are looking to expand our business in the USA and as such I spend lots of time in the stores, pay to what is being sold (and how its being sold), try to get my hands on as many newspapers as possible and throughout the night (due to jet-lag) watch lots of TV.

I always forget (but am quickly reminded) how folks in the USA are absolutely swamped with ads, pitches, promises and specials. It is absolutely exhausting.

This is going to be one of my longest trips here (10 days) so it'll be interesting to see if I again get used to all this OR if by the 10th day I run out of here as if I were on fire.

Mar 29, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 12
lol, that's true. The sheer volume and style of ads that gets thrown at us is both comical and annoying at the same time (reminds me that a large percentage of The Onion's "articles" make fun of this ad-centric culture). Doesn't make for a very worthwhile or refined culture. After living here for a while you learn to filter out most of that crap, but still - perhaps one of the reasons I don't venture to shopping centers too much and I don't watch any tv or listen to the radio is a subconcious attempt to avoid it all
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 12
come to think of it, Head-fi is great with its minimal ads (though there are plenty of them, they are not intrusive and blends in well with the design).

does this site get some money if I go to a site via a link here and then buy a product on their page? I don't recall seeing anything about that.

Mar 29, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 12
ayt999, I think it's more a matter of sponsors being happy with the traffic that is generated from the site.....this keeps sponsors around and we do pay to sponsor the site

I can tell you that as a sponsor of head-fi we are happy with the traffic we get from the head-fi members, but even more importantly we get great feedback from some of the members. On top of that we are very flattered by the unsolicited, positive comments from the members who have experience with our products.

So label us a happy sponsor who is very willing to continue to support this site

Mar 29, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 12
ya, I know that with all the traffic we get here and how most of the members here buy products at the sponsors' sites anyways it really doesn't matter... but some other places do have a system like that so I was wondering if I should keep that in mind when purchasing something.

thanks for the reply.

Mar 29, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by mulveling
lol, that's true. The sheer volume and style of ads that gets thrown at us is both comical and annoying at the same time (reminds me that a large percentage of The Onion's "articles" make fun of this ad-centric culture). Doesn't make for a very worthwhile or refined culture. After living here for a while you learn to filter out most of that crap, but still - perhaps one of the reasons I don't venture to shopping centers too much and I don't watch any tv or listen to the radio is a subconcious attempt to avoid it all
wink.gif

Ahem. We have a very refined culture in the US. What other culture would be as refined to know the response to the essential question:

Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?

What??
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 29, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 12
Advertising is so engrained in our culture that ad campaign lines have become part of our language.

Where's the beef?
New and improved
______ Lite
See the USA in a Chevrolet

Okay, maybe I should have slept longer, that last one isn't really part of everyday speak.
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
"You can take Salem out of the country but....."

Mitch

old school. i'm amazed i remember...

and am i the only one that misses joe camel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back