I almost shed a tear watching this Eva Cassidy clip.
Jun 16, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by cisforchooch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kinda didn't like the pairing though. I'd rather be mesmerized by Eva's solo vocals. There's a real sad soulfulness to her music... real hard to find...

I feel the same, i really like both Eva and Katie seperately, but together there's something that doesn't quite click. Like and amp/headphone combo with bad synergy
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardwired /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took lessons from a guitar instructor who knew Eva personally and used to play with her on the rare occasion she would perform in public. She had horrible stagefright, according to him, but he could never talk about her long without getting choked up about how good she was and what a waste it was for her to die so young. Wonderful voice, and so effortless.

Hey hardwired, any instructor known around Dayton? I used to take lessons from various people in dayton?

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sir, are soft (not that there is anything wrong with that!)
biggrin.gif

like a teddy bear.
cool.gif

Jun 17, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric5469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey hardwired, any instructor known around Dayton? I used to take lessons from various people in dayton?

No, this was in Arlington, VA. Evidently Eva worked as a waitress at a restaurant somewhere in the local area. I heard this about 6-7 years ago and I'm old so I don't remember all the details. Randy (my instructor, and I cannot remember his last name) was even older but he was a hoot to listen to. I spent more time listening to him tell stories than teach guitar, which is probably why I don't play any more.
tongue.gif
Eva's 'Autumn Leaves' is the song he taught me at the time that brought up her memories.

If you wander into Action Music on Sycamore St, maybe he's still there.

Jun 17, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #21 of 34
Find me some crackers, quick ... I got me some cheese.
plainface.gif

Jun 17, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #23 of 34
That video is sheer exploitative sentiment: there's no excuse for these "duets" at the best of times but a living performer seeking to bathe in the reflected tragedy of a dead performer - especially when prefaced by a potted video biography - is pretty unforgiveable. Speaking personally, I find the death cult surrounding Eva's performance of "Over The Rainbow" is already de trop, but the addition of Katie Mellua means that - irrespective of my opinion of Cassidy herself - the whole exercise is pretty bankrupt.

Sorry if that counts as thread-crapping, but the video was put up for comment, and I don't suppose that only positive comments count.

Jun 18, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #24 of 34
Thanks for the link, very pretty stuff. Katie Melua really emotes well, yet I agree with the couple folks who said they don't fully meld well together.

I happen to love "How Can I Keep From singing" from Eva By Heart. Her go at this Gospel gem literally sends chills down my spine when I hear it!

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That video is sheer exploitative sentiment: there's no excuse for these "duets" at the best of times but a living performer seeking to bathe in the reflected tragedy of a dead performer - especially when prefaced by a potted video biography - is pretty unforgiveable. Speaking personally, I find the death cult surrounding Eva's performance of "Over The Rainbow" is already de trop, but the addition of Katie Mellua means that - irrespective of my opinion of Cassidy herself - the whole exercise is pretty bankrupt.

Sorry if that counts as thread-crapping, but the video was put up for comment, and I don't suppose that only positive comments count.

Our prospectives are very different. I saw it as one artist paying homage to another, someone who deeply influenced her and for whom she has great respect.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #30 of 34
Damn...  Just watching the advert video hearing her again through the one one working channel of these earbuds and I started to well up.
Live at Blues Alley is a standard for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back