I accidentally deleted my songs from computer... can anyone help?
Dec 9, 2005 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

chiefroastbeef

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I recently had my laptop reimaged at the college, and loaded my songs from my ipod back to my laptop using sharepod.

But the other day, i accidentally dragged the itunes music folder into the recycling bin and all songs were deleted(including the songs on my ipod since it was connected via itunes).

is there a way to get the songs/data back?

i have an IBM R40, there are data recovery programs loaded on my laptop from the college, but none of them works since i haven't set a restoration date.

thanks for any help

Dec 9, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 13
go to www.download.com and search for Recover My Files.

To prevent any of your songs from being corrupted it's advisable to deattach your HDD and use it in a slave configuration in another computer.

Run the program to recover your deleted files - however you will need to buy the program (or find a hacked serial on the internet) in order to save your files.

Dec 9, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 13
thanks!

what do you mean by the harddrive?

do you mean i should recover my songs to an external harddrive?

thanks again, i appreciate it!

Dec 10, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 13
what he means by your hard drive well, when you delete something from it you are merely deleting its location table. That is to say the data is still there but you computer just doesnt know it. So when you are using your computer and want to save something it will just assume that there is nothing there and so write over the "old" data that was there. Your computer is writing stuff to the hard drive pretty regularly so, stuff you have no control over and can not stop. So the more you use your computer the less likely you are at getting back your music. Thus to avoid this the poster is saying disconnect your hard drive (while your computer is off) and make it a slave in another computer, that way normal usage will not write over your music. However if this is too technically involved then please try and use your computer as little as possible in the mean time.

Also i cant understand how you moved your itunes library to the recycle bin and then deleted it. Surely when you went to empty it and it came up with a big process bar (assuming it was lots of music) then you would have thought something was up. Also it seems as if you didnt learn your lessons from before. Back up things you do not want to lose.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Dec 10, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 13
ahh thanks for the explanation!

about the deletion of the music.. yea i really wasn't paying attention. I highlighted a bunch of icons on the desktop i didn't need and dragged it to the recycling bin, completely forgetting my itunes music file was on my desktop.
so when it asked me for a deletion confirmation i didn't bother reading it and just deleted it...

thanks again!

Dec 10, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 13
If you moved these files into your recycling bin, they should all be in your recycling bin (provided you had a lot of spare disk space). If you double click on the recycling bin, they should show up in the window. Then you can recover your files. However, if you did not have much spare disk space, only some files will show up in your recycling bin for recovery. In that case, you may be able to recover files with a file undeletion program, but it will be difficult.

Dec 10, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #8 of 13
Bummer...
Okay,what "undelete" programs are you hosting?
Please specify programs and versions,including updates.
What version of Windows are you running? Is it XP Home or XP Pro?
Do not defrag,either through the Windows utility,or a stand-alone utility like DiskKeeper,your hard drive!
Next,what's the HDD capacity?
Did you or "them-'the college'-as you refer to- partition a section of the drive for dedicated music storage prior to the reimaging? And did you contact the IT folk who serviced your computer for advice regarding your situation?
If so,what did they say?
Roughly,how many gigabytes of music files did you (they're still there...) "misplace"? Unless you've really thrashed your HDD with many Gigs of new info (ie. overwritten all the little 1's and 0's many (>7,min.) times,chances are very good that all that was there,will still be there...
Please post back with more info.

Dec 10, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric.w
I once deleted some important files by accident, and I can relate with what a pain it can be. If you emptied the recycle bin by accident, here's a little freeware gem that actually recovers files, if possible, unlike the countless trial programs that a google search tends to turn up.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

wow thanks for that link. this tool is really useful, work better than even the current retail program i have.

Dec 10, 2005 at 8:34 AM Post #11 of 13
You ACCIDENTALLY dragged your music folder to the recycle bin AND emptied the bin afterwards
confused.gif
?

Dec 10, 2005 at 9:44 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by xUKHCx
what he means by your hard drive well, when you delete something from it you are merely deleting its location table. That is to say the data is still there but you computer just doesnt know it. So when you are using your computer and want to save something it will just assume that there is nothing there and so write over the "old" data that was there. Your computer is writing stuff to the hard drive pretty regularly so, stuff you have no control over and can not stop. So the more you use your computer the less likely you are at getting back your music. Thus to avoid this the poster is saying disconnect your hard drive (while your computer is off) and make it a slave in another computer, that way normal usage will not write over your music. However if this is too technically involved then please try and use your computer as little as possible in the mean time.

Also i cant understand how you moved your itunes library to the recycle bin and then deleted it. Surely when you went to empty it and it came up with a big process bar (assuming it was lots of music) then you would have thought something was up. Also it seems as if you didnt learn your lessons from before. Back up things you do not want to lose.

Hope you can get it sorted.

THanks for explaining what I was too lazy to explain, xUKHCx!
To make things more clear: your computer will use some of the hard drive space of the main partition (ie the partition in which your OS is currently installed in) kind of like RAM. Thus it will write/rewrite data repeatedly into the hard drive, especially if you're using RAM intensive applications.

If you use the HDD w/ the deleted music as a slave drive (ie a storage drive) the computer will not access it. However, like xUKHCx said, if you can't do this, then I would suggest not running anything on your computer other than applications you absolutely have to.. chances are your music is 100% fine, but it is possible you may have a few bad apples after the recovery.

Best of luck.

Dec 10, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #13 of 13
Listen folks - he said he merely deleted the desktop ikons. He did NOT delete itunes folders. If he did exactly as he just stated there is no problem at all.........just go to C:\program files\itunes............select itunes.exe, right click and create shortcut. Thern drag that newly created shortcut to your desktop again. You're back in business....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back