I’d like to upgrade my HD 600 to better but similar
Aug 20, 2017 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

chuzzlewitt

New Head-Fier
I currently own a set of HD 600s and I’d like to upgrade. I am looking for something with a similar warm tonality but still on the neutral side, with a large soundstage, better imaging, and equally comfortable for less than $1200 (ideally less than $600)? Any recommendations? Further notes, I prefer the HD 600s over the HD 650s, I find the 600s to have a more neutral sound and less bass heavy. I like the soundstage of the HE-400i but find them too bright and fatiguing. I’d like something that I can listen to for hours on end at work. I recently heard the Stax 007 and the HiFiman Susvara and those have the kind of smooth warmth that I love but they are way out of my price range.

Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 31
HE-500~a bit brighter and more fun than the HD600.
LCD-2 pre fazor~dark,warm,with sub-bass
DT880~More like a side-grade,but it does have a wider sound stage.
ZMF Ori or Eikon~neither sound a lot like the Senn,in fact theyre much better...warm,smooth goodness
Mr.Speakers Aeon~super comfy,very natural sound.A bit light on the bass(for me)

Aug 21, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #6 of 31
Koss ESP/950. Easiest way to describe - remember that scene in Annie Get Your Gun, "anything you can do, I can do better!" - that's the Koss to a T. More detail, faster, more frequency extension, more comfortable, more dynamics, better imaging, etc. Fit is very similar (looser and bigger but similar shape/configuration), and tonality is pretty similar (both are fairly neutral cans). Price will fit right in the middle of your budget (MSRP is at $999 but seeing them for $750-900 on sale isn't uncommon; this includes their matching amplifier).

If you want a lot warmer/more romantic presentation, you might look at some woodies, like the AT ATH-W1000X or JVC HP-DX1000. These will be significantly more colored headphones than the HD 600 or ESP/950, but will also get you a lot warmer, softer, wetter presentation - it can be absolutely delightful with good music.

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 31
Although I do prefer the ESP950 over the HD 600/650, it doesn't have a warm tonality per se (this can be altered with EQ) and it has the ethereal electrostatic quality that can come off as thin and lacking presence. (This cannot be altered with EQ.) It also has major bass roll-off. (Deeper bass disappeared on some tracks, though again, this can be fixed with EQ.) The STAX SR-L300 is warmer and has a more solid and focused sound across the spectrum. (I also prefer the STAX SR-207 and SR-Lambda over the ESP950.) Any of these electrostats are more neutral than most headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 31
I currently own a set of HD 600s and I’d like to upgrade. I am looking for something with a similar warm tonality but still on the neutral side, with a large soundstage, better imaging, and equally comfortable for less than $1200 (ideally less than $600)? Any recommendations? Further notes, I prefer the HD 600s over the HD 650s, I find the 600s to have a more neutral sound and less bass heavy. I like the soundstage of the HE-400i but find them too bright and fatiguing. I’d like something that I can listen to for hours on end at work. I recently heard the Stax 007 and the HiFiman Susvara and those have the kind of smooth warmth that I love but they are way out of my price range.

Thanks for any and all help.
... play your favorite music, close your eyes, relax, lay on your back, slowly put on your HD600 and imagine you have a newer and better headphone on your head ... and voila ... you will hear a headphone better but similar to the HD600 :) try it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back