I´ve been ruined by the Stax SR-009 sound
Mar 31, 2013 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

MetalElvis

100+ Head-Fier
Every headphones I listen nowdays after Stax SR-009 pretty much sounds horrible, unlistenable.

Lately I´ve been looking for good travelling headphones. Closed, preferably having noice cancellation. I tried the Bose QC15, but it sounded absolutely horrible. I don´t why anyone can listen to these?

Is there at least anything decent out there?

What headphones are the "Stax SR-009" in the closed (noice cancellation) headphones category?

And I don´t like IEMs. Don´t like sticking something to my ears.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 70
I didn't like IEMs either, but honestly, NOTHING will come within miles of the 009s for travel in terms of full-sized headphones. If at all remotely, then possibly one of the various modified Fostex TP-50 orthos as they tend to be built with quite a bit of damping material so the isolation should be half decent.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 70
Quote:
Every headphones I listen nowdays after Stax SR-009 pretty much sounds horrible, unlistenable.

Lately I´ve been looking for good travelling headphones. Closed, preferably having noice cancellation.

You are going to need to adapt, or go without music.  In my experience, there are no closed headphones that with work well for travel (especially on planes) that are anywhere near the SR-009. Personally I think the best option would be to learn to adjust to IEM because they will block more background noises than active noise cancelation phones, are more compact to travel with, require less amping, and if you can get used to them, will give the best sound, though they will still not be SR-009s.  I have never been fond of the feel of universal IEM, and most customs I am not to keen on either, but the dual material with the end that softens used by default by Westone (and avail for others I believe) has worked out pretty well for me once I got used to them. 

--Mark

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 70
Quote:
I didn't like IEMs either, but honestly, NOTHING will come within miles of the 009s for travel in terms of full-sized headphones. If at all remotely

+1

I have a Sennheiser IE8 and before I have the SR-009 I liked them. Now I cant hear more than 5 minutes...

Recently I had bought a Stax SRS-002 set (SRM-002 & SR-002) and hope to get something of 009. I need a portable rig or a good IEMs anyway...I hope next week they are here.

I had the same experince with SR-009 like iPhone. After them not interest for the rest...
smile.gif

Cheers 

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 70
Quote:

Lately I´ve been looking for good travelling headphones. Closed, preferably having noice cancellation. I tried the Bose QC15, but it sounded absolutely horrible. I don´t why anyone can listen to these?

Is there at least anything decent out there?

What headphones are the "Stax SR-009" in the closed (noice cancellation) headphones category?

LOL!

I tried my co-worker's QC-15, and thought their are OK (not high-end, but OK). After that I bought SR-009, and after couple of months QC-15 without even listened them, because they sounded OK earlier. It was really a surprise, when I tried them first time at home, and found them unlistenable. Now they are collecting dust.

In one review they said about SR-009: "... go for it, you'll not be disappointed. Well, except you may not be able to listen to any thing else, ever again."

So true!

tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #8 of 70
You just need to step down to something much worse than the QC15 first, then back up to QC15, but all of that is ofc useless if you've used the SR-009 the past week... :wink:

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 70
I know the feeling! After acquiring SR-009 all other phones I found good before is barely listenable now! The curse of the 009s...

The only pair of phones other than SR-009 I find listenable is my custom IEM Merlin.

A good pair of custom iems is really the only thing you need after getting 009s.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 70
I've heard this before and find it really hard to believe.  Do you have any reference with the 007 or hd800 or lcd-3?  I guess I'll know when I experience it firsthand.  Still waiting for my 009's - too bad there is no "overnight from Japan" when going through pricejapan!

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 70
You all think that the likes of HD800s, Hifiman HE500s/HE6s, Audeze LCD3 or 2s, Fostex TH900s are unlistenable? Or are you just talking about IEM or mass market phones?
For travel, there's the Sony MDR-NC500D or the Sennheiser Amperior. I tried the Sony at the Sony store here and thought it very musical even to a high end snob like me.
In fact, even some of the very low cost Sony phones were fine for travel music for me.
And I didn't try the Senn, but I was always a fan of the older on-the-ear Sennheiser 20 years ago.

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #13 of 70
Nah, HD800 is fine, but SR-009 is better... I have both and my HD800 is collecting dust these days :frowning2:
I want to try the TH900 at some point and compare them to both the HD800 and SR-009, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #14 of 70
Paradox or UERM/JH13. Truly the only solutions for portability/isolation/neutral-ish performance.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #15 of 70
I'm wondering if the SR-009's built now, sound different to when they first came out, I say that because I got mine in late 2011 and yes they're the best headphones I've heard, [ to drive them I use my BHSE ] but IMO they're are not perfect. Aswell as the 009 / BHSE, I also have the HD-600 / GS-Xmk2  [ I've a 4 pin XLR custom cable with the HD-600's ] and I'm getting a lot of listening pleasure from that combo, in fact I'm now using the HD-600 / GS-Xmk2 as much as the SR-009 / BHSE.

P.S. While I'm using the HD-600 / GS-Xmk2 a lot, part of the reason I do that is because I can listen to them straight away, whereas I prefer to listen to the 009 / BHSE after the BHSE's warmed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back