Hyperactive Pink Activity........
Jul 29, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #16 of 43
If you're having trouble sleeping:

Exercise -- something aerobic in the evening, shower -- you'll sleep like the proverbial baby (not like a real one)

Bad night -- 5-HTP (a natural product, found in health food stores under "nutrients" and herbal remedies -- sort of a predecessor to L-Triptophane)

Remember to drink lots of water -- this won't help calm you down, but it'll help flush the toxins out.

Jul 29, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Do the waves subside after a while or is it a pretty choppy sail for quite some time?

well, i did a pot, xanax, and alcohol detox cold-turkey. to be honest, i really didn't even notice the pot or alcohol detox, the xanax withdrawal was so nightmarish.

still, now i just feel clear-minded and alert. i don't over-react to stuff anymore and can hold job-contracts a lot longer. after a year or so now i even enjoy the occasional glass of wine or pint with my wife. it's cool to have a drink and not be craving a lot more drinks. i'm working out and keeping really busy at work.

the biggest problem i have right now is that sobriety can be pretty boring.

Jul 29, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #19 of 43
Yeah, switch to decaf if possible. And if you smoke, remember that tobacco is a stimulant. ..But one withdrawal at a time.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's also possible that the withdrawal process itself is just making you jittery. Your body chemistry may need to settle down to its new baseline. If you're still hyper after that, then look at the caffeine thing. Or take up an exercise program.

Jul 29, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
well, i did a pot, xanax, and alcohol detox cold-turkey. to be honest, i really didn't even notice the pot or alcohol detox, the xanax withdrawal was so nightmarish.

still, now i just feel clear-minded and alert. i don't over-react to stuff anymore and can hold job-contracts a lot longer. after a year or so now i even enjoy the occasional glass of wine or pint with my wife. it's cool to have a drink and not be craving a lot more drinks. i'm working out and keeping really busy at work.

the biggest problem i have right now is that sobriety can be pretty boring.

What I meant by choppy was do you still crave alcohol from time to time? The detox, for me, is a breeze thanks to the chlordiazepoxide. The hardest part is staying off the damned stuff and that's going to be the biggest battle for me. Unlike you, I couldn't just have a glass of wine or moderate alcohol it's a case of stopping completely for me. If I were to have a glass of wine I'd have to drink until I was legless.... some people can moderate it I can't and lots of others are the same.

So what I was asking was do you still have cravings for any of the substances you used to take or are you pretty much over the psychological part?

Mike.

Jul 29, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #21 of 43
First off, good for you.

If, when clean, you still have lots of energy, try something time-consuming and complicated. Jigsaw puzzles, crossword puzzles, learning a language (or an instrument), or simply going for a brisk stroll are all productive uses of energy. Not only do you kick an addiction, you get a healthy hobby.

Jul 29, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
First off, good for you.

If, when clean, you still have lots of energy, try something time-consuming and complicated. Jigsaw puzzles, crossword puzzles, learning a language (or an instrument), or simply going for a brisk stroll are all productive uses of energy. Not only do you kick an addiction, you get a healthy hobby.

You know the last time I went for a walk was about 2 years ago, I may just act on that recommendation PSmith08. Not too sure about the jigsaw puzzle being a healthy hobby but, you never know, it may be what the Doctor ordered
smily_headphones1.gif

Mike.

Jul 29, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #23 of 43
my strogest craving was for pot, sometimes i'd dream about it. now i'm over it.

as for booze, i missed the taste of good beer the most. i don't think i was as bad off as some of the folks i met in support group, who were just desperate alcoholics. i really can't say how bad you cravings will be. don't be surprised if you dream about booze.

as for cravings later it might be a good idea to get a "sponser", so when cravings hit you can talk to someone, and essentially have someone to answer to besides yourself.

Jul 29, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
as for cravings later it might be a good idea to get a "sponser", so when cravings hit you can talk to someone, and essentially have someone to answer to besides yourself.

Yeh, I'll be looking into that side of things next week redshifter, those meetings may well worth attending on a regular basis.

Jul 29, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #26 of 43
Mike, its always hard to take the first step. You live in a beautiful place, take a walk. Start from 10min walks, and increase it as you progress. Get some calm tunes with you when you are out for a walk. Since you live in a fishing town, go fishing some time. And dont forget, NEVER give up, you are stronger then booze, and dont let it control you.

Jul 29, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

I've been off the alcohol for 5 days now and have gradually noticed I'm becoming more and more hyper active as the days go by!

Hey, that's great (the part about being sober, not the hyper-activity
smily_headphones1.gif
)
biggrin.gif

I wish you all the best.

Quote:

Any tips on relaxation techniques (non chemical) that work for any of you guys would be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

As a kid I once attended a course in Autogenic Training as a technique for relaxation. It may take a while to get it right but to feel the effects is actually quite interesting. This site seems to cover it extensively:
http://www.guidetopsychology.com/autogen.htm

Good luck and congrats once again

Jul 30, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
If you're having trouble sleeping:

Exercise -- something aerobic in the evening, shower -- you'll sleep like the proverbial baby (not like a real one)

Bad night -- 5-HTP (a natural product, found in health food stores under "nutrients" and herbal remedies -- sort of a predecessor to L-Triptophane)

Remember to drink lots of water -- this won't help calm you down, but it'll help flush the toxins out.

on the first read, i thought you said have something aerobic in the evening shower,
icon10.gif

Jul 30, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #29 of 43
Way to go Mike!! best of luck to you.

Sports... join a rec league of some sort. I play hardcourt volleyball 2 nights a week, and used to play grass tournaments on weekends.... till I had kids. Now its all I can do to get out 1-2 nights a week. I also like tennis and am getting better.

babysit... NOTHING is more exhausting (or rewarding) than chasing a hyperactive 3 year old boy around a schoolyard for an afternoon.

Mountainbiking... he most thoroughly exhausting sport I used to do.... before kids again. Incredible sport... the rush and exhiliaration is like nothing else.

Yardwork.... YUK... but at least its a way to burn off energy.

Jul 30, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #30 of 43
Good for you Mike - I wish you all the best in your drive to kick the booze... [size=xx-small](Think of all that extra ca$h for music and equipment! - thats got to be a reason to carry on!)[/size]
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back