Hyla Audio TE-5B & TE-5T Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #76 of 218
Congratulation that you got this rare item ...… and agree with you that this baby sounds great
Mine just burned for over 50 hours..... well I have to keep it burned every day to enjoy its potential :)

Hi Domisondo, did the sound of your TE5B start to change when reaching 40 hours? I found that the overall sound stage now is "thicken", the warm sound increases and the treble is a bit recessed.

Let's see how it goes when it reaches 200 hours of burn-in anyway. PW Audio is replacing the 3.5mm jack with a 4.4mm on the cable and it will be ready next week for me to continue the burn-in process and listening.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #77 of 218
Hi Domisondo, did the sound of your TE5B start to change when reaching 40 hours? I found that the overall sound stage now is "thicken", the warm sound increases and the treble is a bit recessed.

Let's see how it goes when it reaches 200 hours of burn-in anyway. PW Audio is replacing the 3.5mm jack with a 4.4mm on the cable and it will be ready next week for me to continue the burn-in process and listening.

Hi Lomenhk,
I agree with you that the warmer sound is marginal increased and the treble is slightly recessed post 40 hours. Also realized the lower mid is a bit more forward and engaged. This give me the impression like I am right in front of the singer.
It is cool to know you will be experiencing 4.4mm PW Audio on TE5B. Looking forwards to hearing your impression if the sound of this cable pair will further be improved. Cheers

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #78 of 218
IMG_20190413_210448.jpg IMG_20190413_210418.jpg
IMG_20190414_005545.jpg IMG_20190414_005602.jpg

It is a day and night difference after the cable is modified with 4.4 termination! The true power of TE5B is unleashed!

Apr 14, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #79 of 218

It is a day and night difference after the cable is modified with 4.4 termination! The true power of TE5B is unleashed!

Can you provide more detail about what you feel had changed that makes it a day and night difference? Very interested to understand as I continue to burn in a pair I purchased last week. Thanks.

Apr 14, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #80 of 218
Can you provide more detail about what you feel had changed that makes it a day and night difference? Very interested to understand as I continue to burn in a pair I purchased last week. Thanks.

Hi JayF, the day and night difference comes from the instrument separation, treble extension and the dark background. Now these aspects really stand out under 4.4mm balanced mode.

Before I got the cable modified, I have burned-in my TE5B for 40+ hours under 3.5mm single end and the whole sound signature had become warmer and the treble seems starting to recess a bit. The sound has become "thicken".

The cable has taken a week for the modification by PW Audio. After I got it back I listen with my ZX300 again under 4.4mm balanced end. Wow! I did not realize there existed muddiness under 3.5mm single end when compares now with 4.4mm. No doubt there should be an improvement if listening under 4.4mm balanced mode but such improvement is huge! Treble now extends very very well and never recesses, instrument separation is a level up and the bass still retains its beautiful texture and powerful slam. The other thing I notice is that the 4.4mm balanced mode now provides more power to drive the TE5B. For instance, a song which I listen under 3.5mm single end I need to have level 50+ to be loud enough but it only needs around level 38-40 under 4.4mm balanced end.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #81 of 218
Just tried the three IEMs again last weekend, and the TE-5T sound can be addicting... for short listening sessions (<20 min).

Wish Hyla made a version with a switch to toggle between the CE-5 and TE-5T. I would throw my wallet at that IEM so fast.

Apr 15, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #82 of 218
Wish Hyla made a version with a switch to toggle between the CE-5 and TE-5T.
Hey
I understand what are you talking about. For toggling purposes I use diff gears with TE5T. I shuffle with after market cables, ear tips & portable hybrid amps(tube/ss). For example, if I want fuller lower mids with slight recessed treble with mid bass punch(TE5B sound~fun sound) I opt for Labkable supernova mkIII pure copper cable & jvc spiral dots; good for pop,edm, male vocals & poor recordings. If I want a more drier, reference or balanced signature I switch to EA horus and spinfit cp155(TE5T sound); this is more apt for classical, female vocal jazz genre. Similarly, I add tube/ss amp to further modify the sound depending upon the mood, preference etc. This shows TE5T's versatility with different type of cables, amps & gives the required result.
So, in short I enjoy both TE5B/TE5T sound signature. Btw, I will get the pwaudio cable reterminated to balanced.

Apr 16, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #83 of 218
T
Hi JayF, the day and night difference comes from the instrument separation, treble extension and the dark background. Now these aspects really stand out under 4.4mm balanced mode.

Before I got the cable modified, I have burned-in my TE5B for 40+ hours under 3.5mm single end and the whole sound signature had become warmer and the treble seems starting to recess a bit. The sound has become "thicken".

The cable has taken a week for the modification by PW Audio. After I got it back I listen with my ZX300 again under 4.4mm balanced end. Wow! I did not realize there existed muddiness under 3.5mm single end when compares now with 4.4mm. No doubt there should be an improvement if listening under 4.4mm balanced mode but such improvement is huge! Treble now extends very very well and never recesses, instrument separation is a level up and the bass still retains its beautiful texture and powerful slam. The other thing I notice is that the 4.4mm balanced mode now provides more power to drive the TE5B. For instance, a song which I listen under 3.5mm single end I need to have level 50+ to be loud enough but it only needs around level 38-40 under 4.4mm balanced end.

Thank you! Why did you choose to have the Hyla cable re-terminated as opposed to just buying a separate cable? Most of my listening is done via 3.5 as it's mostly hirez downloads from Tidal on my Sony x2 which doesn't have 4.4. I also have the wm1z with 4.4 balanced but don't purchase as much music as I download on Tidal so tend to use less... So hate to give up option for 3.5.

Apr 17, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #84 of 218
Thank you! Why did you choose to have the Hyla cable re-terminated as opposed to just buying a separate cable? Most of my listening is done via 3.5 as it's mostly hirez downloads from Tidal on my Sony x2 which doesn't have 4.4. I also have the wm1z with 4.4 balanced but don't purchase as much music as I download on Tidal so tend to use less... So hate to give up option for 3.5.

During the cable modification, I have got another PW Audio Copper 28 V2 4.4mm cable (an entry level cable of PW Audio) tested with TE5B. It offers deep bass punch, decent timbre, but it cannot provide a smooth treble extension as it goes spiky, which I think it does not have good control on treble area.

The original HYLA Rt-5(Tristan) PCOCC cable is kind of the best match so far with the TE5B. if compare with Copper 28 V2 it corrects the problem of treble and it has a creamy, smooth sound signature. I found the whole soundstage is more coherent after burning-in for further 30 hours (now reaches to 70 hrs). As this cable is very well made and quality is high I think I will not invest in another after-market cable for TE5B.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #86 of 218
They ran out of stock but are not done with the run...you just have to preorder and wait until they make more. Some dealers also have stock, musicteck for example, if you are in the US.

Apr 21, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #87 of 218
They made way more than 200 units worldwide for the CE-5. My local store still has 2 left after all this time. There shouldn’t be any rush to pick up a 5B or 5T.

Apr 21, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #88 of 218
Yep the TE-5B/T are still at distributors.

I think for the CE-5 they might’ve made closer to 500? I’ve heard rumors about it possibly coming back as well...

Apr 22, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #89 of 218
They made way more than 200 units worldwide for the CE-5. My local store still has 2 left after all this time. There shouldn’t be any rush to pick up a 5B or 5T.

Sounds like Zepplin & Co!

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #90 of 218
So I took the plunge and ordered a TE-B after reading the fantastic reviews of it and the CE-5. I've been listening to them since Tuesday, and while they are a great pair of iEm's, with Perhaps the best bass slam of any iems I have heard, overall they did not wow me enough to keep them. The mids are definitely a step back from the bass and treble and although the bass did not bleed into the mids per se, there was a little bit midbass boat that sapped definition and clarity from the mids. They definitely provided alittle bit more slam than my Atlas and they also have a little more distance between you and the sound compared to the Atlas, which give you a front row seat, but I overall I slightly preferred the atlas's overall balance and the hylas did not give me enough added specialness to justify keeping them given what I already have. This should not be taken as a knock against them...they are very very nice iems, particularly if you really want thumping bass, but they just did not provide enough better or different from the totl iems I already have to justify keeping them. I also had some fit issues, which I think likely have more to do with my ears than the hylas as their overall shape seems like it should be well contoured for most. I just got a hotspot on my conchs that I could not get rid of despite trying many tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back