Human-Audio "Tabla Pico": LiFePO4 battery powered USB to coax async transport: Impressive!
Feb 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

leeperry

Galvanically isolated his brain
Hi guys, pretty much every 6 months we see a new transport that becomes a game changer....async used to be all the rage, but now it's all about battery power, and LiFEPO4 grade at that due to their excellent specs.

A friend of mine who owns a non-USB Benchmark DAC-1 wanted to spend $500ish on a transport that wouldn't become obsolete 6 months later and that would provide him with the best bang for bucks...allowing him to keep it as an asset between his computer and his audio rig, as he plans on upgrading his DAC and headphones.

After a lot of brainstorming and googling, we both came to the conclusions that a perfect transports needs to:
-run in async mode, because isochronous is nice and all but async ensures better timings
-provide its own power, because the USB power exhibits very high ripple and isn't stable in essence as it's entirely dependent on the load of the other computer components(considering that the computer ATX PSU is shared). It's also prone to ground loops, interferences and so.
-come in a metal box in order to be shielded against EMI/RFI
-use two discrete clocks for 44.1 and 48kHz multiples
-support all possible sample rates up to 24/192, because more and more audio comes up in 88.2kHz form

Facts are that:
-only 12Mbit/s USB, S/PDIF & I2S allow galvanic isolation....I2S is by far the best solution(due to its discrete clock signal) but hardly any affordable DAC offers an input in this format. 
-there doesn't seem to be any 12MBit/s USB transport that supports 88.2kHz and/or runs in async mode
-only USB to coax can be fully galvanically isolated if you don't plan on spending 3 grand on the DAC alone and want it async and 88.2kHz & >96kHz compatible

He also wanted to avoid all kludges w/ split USB cables, overpriced industrial hubs or external PSU's(whose cable is prone to catching interferences), DIY looking ABS enclosures...and keep it $500ish. So there was pretty much only one solution available on the market as far as we could see, the Tabla Pico: http://www.human-audio.com/humanaudioeng_tabla_pico.html

The genius of this interface is that once the battery is empty, it will silently switch to filtered USB power and then silently switch back to the battery once it will be full again. It will also automatically reload the battery when not in use. All the other battery powered transports I saw simply give up on ya once their battery's empty 
confused_face.gif

The nice thing is that Human Audio is a european company so no need to worry about customs for EU citizens, and they even offered my friend a 2 weeks cooling-off period.

Unboxing: 

Its dimensions are 85x38x98 mm.

A male/male BNC adapter(not provided), for the cleanest signal transmission:

A good ole 4ft A/B Lacie Flat Cable: 
The Tabla Pico connected to the DAC1: 
An overview of the whole rig: 

He's currently running a non-USB Benchmark DAC1 + Lehmann Linear Black Cube + Audio Technica ES-10 & AKG K340.

He told me that it made quite a change from his previous Toslink cable, but the opposite would have been hard to believe when we know that Toslink usually stands in the +1000ps jitter region. The improvement could/would/should have been more drastic but the DAC1 seems to run a mandatory 192kHz ASRC pass on all incoming signals using the S/PDIF input of a SRC chip, so that will drastically color the sound. I advised him to shoot for a DAC that runs the market leading WM8804/WM8805 reclocking S/PDIF receiver. You're only as strong as your weakest link, and S/PDIF being a protocol that's based on a clock recovery mechanism you should make sure that both transmitter and receiver are top performers.

My friend also bought a power plug/female USB adapter so he could let the battery reload even when the computer's turned off:

All this said, he left it to me for a few days so I could give him more thoughts about it...this proposition was hard to refuse 
atsmile.gif

Being very curious, I cracked it open with his permission:

so we have the big LiFePO4 battery, the two discrete clocks, the pulse transformer and a whole bunch of -most likely- voltage regulators whose surface has been erased in order to protect their R&D I would guess.

I planned on trying it on my Stello Eximus DP-1 so I installed a BNC/RCA adapter:

and here we go:

Well, how does it sound then? Well, very good as you would expect =)

The only drawback is that the Eximus DP-1 uses the rather old CS8416 chip on its coax input, and jitter performance is not that good...this DAC has a great sounding XMOS based USB input, even an I2S input but S/PDIF is not its strong point...but yes, SQ was indeed excellent. As good as CS8416 can sound IMO, and yes I did try a few other transports on the DP-1.

My friend is in the market for an Audio-GD DAC using WM8805, so I will update this thread in due time.

My conclusions to this small review would be that if you want the most technically advanced USB>coax transport for the highest bang/bucks on the market, this little unit should be on your short list. They'll even provide a 2 weeks cooling-off period, so you can essentially try it at the price of shipping.

It's using the stock EVO/hiface m2tech drivers so it will only run on Windows & MacOS, as this italian company recently gave up on providing Linux drivers due to intellectual property patents they don't plan on sharing. So if you're a Linux head, you should look elsewhere.

If any other owners of this wonderful little black box hang around, feel free to share your experience too 
happy_face1.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 20
Thanks! Well, the other battery powered transports I saw were unable to switch to filtered USB power while silently reloading once their battery's flat, that's a big deal breaker IMO...making them nothing more than impractical kludges.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #4 of 20
Hmm, having auditioned an JK MK3, I found the recharging to be no big issue.  I'd just flick its switch when I turned off my other electronics, last thing at night.  Should one forget, the battery seems to last a few days anyway.

I'd personally put ultimate sound quality ahead of whether it automatically recharges or not- but I admit, it's a good feature to have 
smile.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 20
Looks cool, the battery powered units are getting more popular these days.
I also find more and more people are using higher end USB to S/Pdif converters for their DAC's.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
Hmm, having auditioned an JK MK3, I found the recharging to be no big issue.  I'd just flick its switch when I turned off my other electronics, last thing at night.  Should one forget, the battery seems to last a few days anyway.

I'd personally put ultimate sound quality ahead of whether it automatically recharges or not- but I admit, it's a good feature to have 
smile.gif

I'm really a big fan of the "plug it and forget it's there" motto, being forced to remember to reload the battery every evening is essentially the same as a killer sounding phone that would be terribly uncomfy...some ppl are willing to make compromises and we all have our priorities I guess. But hey, hopefully soon enough someone will compare the Tabla Pico to the interfaces you just mentioned and will share his findings 
happy_face1.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 20
I can't find the link, but JKenny recommended plug and forget for the PS. There is still a power switch and IIRC, the PS comes on only while charging. There is an internal red led during charging. You can just barely see it through the power on led.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 20
leeperry,

IIRC, you own Stello U3. How does Tabla Pico compare to U3? 

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 20
I currently use a "Stello Eximus DP-1" that hosts a U3 connected via I2S internally, but its coax input is based on the high jitter CS8416 in 192kHz legacy mode, so any comparison would be unfair....when your receiver exhibits +500ps jitter at 44.1kHz, it's utterly pointless to inject a low jitter transport: http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/appNote/AN339REV1.pdf

Anyway, my friend w/ the "Tabla Pico" recently pulled the trigger on their "Muto" discrete battery-powered DAC, I've been listening to this combo for a little while considering that he's still undecided on what headamp to get.......I'll do my best to post a quick review soon 
cool.gif

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #10 of 20
Thanks

I currently have the new Audio GD Digital Interface DSP as transport. I'm also going to test Stello U3 against it when my local dealer ships it to me, should be any day now. This one interests me because of the battery power and proper BNC output. Many USB to S/PDIF converters lack BNC output. I use Naim DAC with Naim DC1 digital cable (BNC-BNC) so I need the BNC output. 

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #11 of 20
Clearly, Tenor based solutions cannot compete because they don't embed two discrete clocks for 44.1 and 48khz multiples..they merely run a 12Mhz crystal using an internal PLL. But you'll find out the SQ improvement with your own ears soon enough, the next step is clean battery power and the icing on the cake is the real 75Ω BNC connector indeed 
beerchug.gif

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #12 of 20
I'm not sure if I understood correctly but DI-DSP does have two clocks inside? What's the other one for then?

I've already tried one XMOS device (HiFace Two) and while it was very good, it didn't clearly improve from Digital Interface v1. 

I'm also thinking about Anedio U2. I like that it only has what I need, USB input and BNC output. It uses XMOS chip and supports everything up to 24/192. Probably performs similarly to Stello U3. Your thoughts?

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
I'm not sure if I understood correctly but DI-DSP does have two clocks inside? What's the other one for then?

I've already tried one XMOS device (HiFace Two) and while it was very good, it didn't clearly improve from Digital Interface v1. 

I'm also thinking about Anedio U2. I like that it only has what I need, USB input and BNC output. It uses XMOS chip and supports everything up to 24/192. Probably performs similarly to Stello U3. Your thoughts?

From http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DIv2/DIv2EN_Custom.htm
In the DI-DSP have two clock, one is for the TE8802 (12MHz), another is for upsampling (24.576MHz)

Jun 15, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:
From http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DIv2/DIv2EN_Custom.htm
In the DI-DSP have two clock, one is for the TE8802 (12MHz), another is for upsampling (24.576MHz)

Oh yes, missed that one. Thanks!

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

I briefly tried the Hiface2, and I really hated it....trebles were very shrill and colored, unbearable. It's not really surprising when you realize that the Hiface2 is following the XMOS datasheet and has a SC4626A SMPS controller from Semtech which has a working freq of
2.5MHz(http://www.semtech.com/images/datasheet/sc4626.pdf) feeding the XMOS chip itself. We all know how colored SMPS sound like.

Yep, I've read about the U2.......I couldn't find any info about the ppm rating of the clocks, and I couldn't locate any review either. And it's USB powered anyway, that'll never be quite as clean as battery power 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back