huhh....k701 and sr60 impressions
Apr 7, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #16 of 32
it could be a matter of amp+headphone synergy. my jmt maxed meta42 (8620, stacked buffers) make my grado sr125 sing. for my iem's and all other cans i prefer the sr71. that fact that i asked jmt to build it for the grado sr125 didn't hurt either.

Apr 7, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #19 of 32
You actually have to move it in the opposite direction, not like shown on the meier website. More to the back, not to the front. But just experiment with it and you'll notice the changes in sound quickly.

Apr 7, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

After Markl stressed it out, I found that the sound-stage of my K701 not always continuous (at least on some tracks, and at least in my current system, which is directly from a notebook hp jack). Moving the phones around helped with this problem a little bit, but I was just curious what other think is the best position for these phones. I expect that an amplifier especially a powerful one should help it better.

Apr 7, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
To the OP:

It's interesting that you say the K701s are too subdued, because I find it to be a lively sound, albeit not as "in your face" as my Grado SR225. Amplification may be a factor. I don't know that much about the Pimeta, but the K701s need an amp that can output a lot of current. But based on your desire to get a pair of headphones that is both detailed and lively, a DT880 should be on your shortlist of phones to consider.

I understand what he's saying, at least I think so, because I feel the same way about the K701s. They are not subdued in terms of frequency response IMHO, as they have plenty of high frequency information, but they sound like you are quite distant from the instruments.

That quality was very strong when they were new, almost to the point of being boring yet detailed phones, but after about 290 hours of break-in they sound more intimate now.

Interestingly, these phones have made me hear things in my recordings I have never heard before, yet they have never impressed me with the new information they simply show me the new details. My Etys, on the other hand when they reveal something new just strike out at you with that new information.

Anyway, let's see what happens after a little more break-in (300-350 hours), when I get a chance to really listen to them instead of just every now and then in bed while they break-in.

I will look at the correct positioning for the K701s, thanks.

Apr 7, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #22 of 32
i certainly am liking the k701 more now. i think partly i'm hearing more recording issues with extra resolution. but the pressure on my TMJ is not going to be acceptable long-term

Apr 8, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
i think i find the increased "soundstage" of the k701's to be a bit............dare i say......irrelevant? i'm starting to think that "soundstage" in headphones is not terribly important.

I respect your opinion, but I could not disagree more, personally. I don't think I could go back to listening to headphones without soundstage, precisely because if I did, I'd probably just end up gravitating towards speakers again. It is for this reason that my SR125s cannot hold my attention for long periods of time.

Quote:

it all seems a bit contrived i suppose. to get real soundstage i would think speakers would be necessary, or of course your own orchestra
smily_headphones1.gif
the increased soundstage in the k701 seems to be a bit of a "trick" induced by the circamural design and resonant frequencies being bounced around inside the can.

Circumaural cans do not "simulate" soundstage anymore than speakers do. They obtain it the exact same way, only on a smaller scale.

Those disagreements aside, the Grado fan family can always use more intiates.

Apr 8, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #24 of 32
Just because you got them used, doesn't mean they were well broken in.
Give them some time. JMO.
Best,
Jim

Apr 8, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jim580
Just because you got them used, doesn't mean they were well broken in.
Give them some time. JMO.
Best,
Jim

Very true. If I didn't run them 24/7 for 12 days now, it would have taken me almost a year to put 300 hours on them. These phones haven't been out for a year yet.

Apr 8, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

these were reviewed by "tome" magazine and owned by two previous headfi'ers. they have many many hours on them

However, the fact that the earpads are still stiff and uncomfortable shows that they haven't been used enough. Mine has become very comfortable in the meantime and sounds fuller than ever (--> pad break-in).

Apr 8, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #28 of 32
i'm definitely coming around on them. i do like them a lot. it's just that i'm used to grados and this felt originally "recessed". i certainly want to give the 325i, dt880, hd650 a try though

Apr 8, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

i'm definitely coming around on them. i do like them a lot. it's just that i'm used to grados and this felt originally "recessed". i certainly want to give the 325i, dt880, hd650 a try though

I don't think you could find two headphones with more different sound signatures than the K701 and ANY Grado.
icon10.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

I agree. Out of the box, the 701s sound, to me, a lot closer to the 650s than my RS-1s or SA5000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back