Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 29, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #18,211 of 18,489
I think the only reason to buy a higher quality optical cable with a DAC that has excellent jitter attenuation would be for reliability. I’ve had 2 kabeldirekt opticals fail on me, QED on the other hand has been rock solid for the past few years.
I would agree with that, but some owners also like to have the 'pride of ownership' that comes with more expensive gear and accessories.

I can't remember reading of any other owners having kabeldirect cables fail, but maybe you have been unlucky with yours.
I think I have five of them, and all still work fine.

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #18,213 of 18,489
After reading about the benefits of using optical, I purchased this cable to connect my 2Go/2Yu to my HMS. Sounds absolutely gorgeous! At least at 16/44 and 24/96. It won't connect at 24/192.

However, it runs 24/192 just fine to my Hugo TT2 and Mojo2!!

When using the HMS, the DX OP light will flash a very dimmed red. As soon as I pause the music, it goes to blue.

If I use a "no-name" cable into the HMS, it transmits 24/192 just fine. I do notice that the nonamer does click into position more firmly. I've tried pushing the Silver Sonic as firmly as possible, into either the 1 or 2 OPT IN, but it never works.

Has anyone run into a similar issue? If there is any additional info I need to provide, please let me know!!
You might try cleaning the cable... lint free wipes both ends.

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #18,215 of 18,489
You might try cleaning the cable... lint free wipes both ends.
The problem is that the TOSlink inputs on the M Scaler are recessed. That cable's connector is too big to seat properly. I ended up getting an AudioQuest Forest that is working great!!

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #18,217 of 18,489
I would send the Krisdonia back and order the Bixpower BP90. Rob and others have stated the Krisdonia was the worst of the batteries for Mscaler. Definitely look for the coax to toslink converter too.
Krisdonia returned to supplier for refund. Bixpower BP90 ordered early last week, arrived today. Charged and installed to power MScaler. Still using BNC input from PS Audio Airlens whilst waiting for coax to optical adaptor. There is a signifcant improvement in SQ already. Sound is much more relaxed and real.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #18,219 of 18,489
Any rumors regarding the Choral M Scaler release date and cost?
I have been trying to hold off other big $$$ purchases thinking this may be a nice upgrade to my current M Scaler.
Not sure there's anything official, but someone intuited from a Rob Watts video Munich this year, if I understood right.

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #18,220 of 18,489
Any rumors regarding the Choral M Scaler release date and cost?
I have been trying to hold off other big $$$ purchases thinking this may be a nice upgrade to my current M Scaler.
I remember May being mentioned, which ties in with what FunkyBassMan posted.
I don't think price was mentioned.
I have tried several attempts to estimate a ballpark figure, but each time I arrive at a figure around $20k minimum.
Five FPGAs, so multiply the MScaler cost by 5, then allow a reduction for economies of scale/learning curve, then add in the cost of the separate power supply.

I hope that i am wrong, but Rob has been working on it for 5 years, so his development time will have to be paid for.

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #18,221 of 18,489
I have tried several attempts to estimate a ballpark figure, but each time I arrive at a figure around $20k minimum.
Five FPGAs, so multiply the MScaler cost by 5, then allow a reduction for economies of scale/learning curve, then add in the cost of the separate power supply.

I hope that i am wrong, but Rob has been working on it for 5 years, so his development time will have to be paid for.
I suspect the price will have to do with the cost of production plus marketing plus a reasonable profit.

Chord already has the reputation required to get people interested in whatever the come up with no matter what the price because their past products have generally been viewed by the market as a fair cost/performance payoff tradeoff. (1).

However, the new DAC and scaler will be subject to the same evaluation by the market. If they don't perform in accordance with their price, Chord will take a big sales and reputation hit.

I'm sure 1) Chord knows this, and 2) Rob Watts is not just a fantastic designer but also no dummy and wouldn't risk his and Chord's reputation on a very expensive product if he didn't have some seriously good new ideas.

I can't wait, because I'd bet a lot that if Rob is loving it a lot more than what he's done so far, it'll be truly great.

But time will tell!

(1) Not including the "every DAC sounds the same" loonies in the ASR/Sound Science cult.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #18,223 of 18,489

My guess is it'll cost between 15-20k USD.

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #18,224 of 18,489
When i was on the Dutch HiFi show in october i think it was Colin of Chord said €10k to me when i asked about price area

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #18,225 of 18,489
When i was on the Dutch HiFi show in october i think it was Colin of Chord said €10k to me when i asked about price area
And €10k is £8.5k UKP which will be interesting because IF the Quartet is a two box device made with aluminium billets to match the Dave then that will eat up a fair amount of the budget never mind what is inside the two boxes. Anyway it will not be too long until it is formally announced / launched so little point in speculating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back