Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 12, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #18,077 of 18,497
I have both Dave and May connected to the same source and amp/headphone. May is an excellent DAC for the price, and I prefer it over Dave.

I'm not sure if you used XLR for Dave, but I've found Dave to perform best in single-ended, and the difference is significant (IMO). With XLR, the notes sound thicker, masking some details, especially in vocals. Additionally, there's a touch more bass quantity, but it lacks quality, and the transparency, stage, and naturalism that Dave can exhibit are lost. Dave is designed in single-ended, as are all Chord DACs. Moreover, Chord DACs and M-Scalers really benefit from running on battery and LPS, as what I've heard is akin to lifting a sonic blanket. Wave Cables also help improve further.
TBH I wasn't very impressed with Dave and M-scaler until I tried these and now every single time I listen, I am astonished by the monster Rob Watts has made.

Feb 12, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #18,078 of 18,497
I'm not sure if you used XLR for Dave, but I've found Dave to perform best in single-ended, and the difference is significant (IMO). With XLR, the notes sound thicker, masking some details, especially in vocals. Additionally, there's a touch more bass quantity, but it lacks quality, and the transparency, stage, and naturalism that Dave can exhibit are lost. Dave is designed in single-ended, as are all Chord DACs. Moreover, Chord DACs and M-Scalers really benefit from running on battery and LPS, as what I've heard is akin to lifting a sonic blanket. Wave Cables also help improve further.
TBH I wasn't very impressed with Dave and M-scaler until I tried these and now every single time I listen, I am astonished by the monster Rob Watts has made.

Interesting..........it may be disadvantage using Dave with fully balanced amp like WA33 which is engineered as a fully balanced design, optimized to deliver the highest fidelity when used with balanced sources.

Hope Rob Watt will address XLR output difference in future products.

Feb 12, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #18,079 of 18,497
I have both Dave and May connected to the same source and amp/headphone. May is an excellent DAC for the price, and I prefer it over Dave.

IMG_3216.jpeg
That's totally cool, I accept that others may like it more and that's fine. To me it's not even remotely close to the DAVE, or the TT2. But, that's just me.

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #18,080 of 18,497
I'm unsure if you used XLR for Dave, but I've found Dave to perform best in single-ended, and the difference is significant (IMO). With XLR, the notes sound thicker, masking some details, especially in vocals. Additionally, there's a touch more bass quantity, but it lacks quality, and the transparency, stage, and naturalism that Dave can exhibit are lost. Dave is designed in single-ended, as are all Chord DACs. Moreover, Chord DACs and M-Scalers really benefit from running on battery and LPS, as what I've heard is akin to lifting a sonic blanket. Wave Cables also help improve further.
I would like to share my thoughts on my experience with the Dave and Mscaler. I owned both since 2020. I did not notice much difference between the single-ended and XLR connections. Additionally, the claims about the wave cables' effect were exaggerated. Although I still own those cables, I do not like their sound signature. They may work well in a system that is overly bright, but I do not have that issue. Furthermore, when I used an external battery for the Mscaler, it caused it to malfunction, and I had to pay a considerable amount for repairing it. I learned my lesson from that experience.

Despite the issue with the battery, I still own the Dave/Mscaler combo, and I can say that it sounds great for my two-channel system.

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #18,081 of 18,497
This is precisely what I heard when I listened to the Holo May, my friend below owned the Holo May and sold it after I introduced him to the DAVE, his experience is exactly what I experienced. But, I'm adding it here so you can get the picture. I suspect that if you have overly bright equipment, the May may tone it down and make it more pleasant I guess. Based on my preference I would not go for that.

1000130206.png

Feb 12, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #18,082 of 18,497
This is precisely what I heard when I listened to the Holo May, my friend below owned the Holo May and sold it after I introduced him to the DAVE, his experience is exactly what I experienced. But, I'm adding it here so you can get the picture. I suspect that if you have overly bright equipment, the May may tone it down and make it more pleasant I guess. Based on my preference I would not go for that.

1000130206.png

Initially, I had the same experience with May. The reason was the Audioquest power cable I used for the May. Using a regular power cable connected directly to the power outlet solved the problem.

My system is not bright, I don't experience any brightness out of Dave, but May sounds more natural and detailed in my system.

Feb 12, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #18,083 of 18,497
Initially, I had the same experience with May. The reason was the Audioquest power cable I used for the May. Using a regular power cable connected directly to the power outlet solved the problem.

My system is not bright, I don't experience any brightness out of Dave, but May sounds more natural and detailed in my system.
I see, glad you enjoy it. Different preferences is the name of this game.

Feb 13, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #18,086 of 18,497
For the ones not knowing Mingus.. really should try his 60's albums on early 80's RBCD like this one.. Just MScaler candy :)

Screenshot_20240213-194346_foobar2000 controller PRO.jpg

Feb 13, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #18,087 of 18,497
So you like the sound of RF noise, like other people like tubes, there is nothing wrong with it :wink:

That’s also the reason people buy the mscaler isn’t it, for a bit of that RF msg. But you can combat it by moving it 30ft away from your DAC and using overpriced hand made ferrite infested cables…

IMG_0134.gif

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #18,089 of 18,497
Is there an appreciable benefit to connecting the M-Scaler to a source via the dual-BNC input vs a single BNC?
(The M-Scaler user manual lists Dual BNC as a possible input)

My M-Scaler is currently connected to a network streamer via a 75Ω digital cable - The streamer's SPDIF output connects to the M-Scaler BNC input 1.

I've begun looking at upgrading my network streamer. I'm wondering if I should include dual-BNC output as a "must have" feature.
One of the only network streamers that I found with this feature is the now discontinued dCS Network Bridge.
If there is a benefit to dual BNC input - can you recommend a ROON ready streamer / network bridge with that feature?

Screenshot 2024-02-14 125812.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #18,090 of 18,497
Is there an appreciable benefit to connecting the M-Scaler to a source via the dual-BNC input vs a single BNC?
(The M-Scaler user manual lists Dual BNC as a possible input)

My M-Scaler is currently connected to a network streamer via a 75Ω digital cable - The streamer's SPDIF output connects to the M-Scaler BNC input 1.

I've begun looking at upgrading my network streamer. I'm wondering if I should include dual-BNC output as a "must have" feature.
One of the only network streamers that I found with this feature is the now discontinued dCS Network Bridge.
If there is a benefit to dual BNC input - can you recommend a ROON ready streamer / network bridge with that feature?

Screenshot 2024-02-14 125812.jpg
IMHO there's no benefit in using the dual bnc in. Let the Mscaler do the upscaling! In addition to this I would use a Bixpower BP90 and use the toslink optical input. This would prevent the Mscaler from passing noise through to your dac.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back