Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 5, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #17,866 of 18,491
After listening for the battery-powered HMS for many hours, I am observing unexpected improvements in the base, it has a lot more weight and body.
I rarely pay attention to it when evaluating RF tweaks as I did not know they could impact the low end.
But as I was listening to my familiar playlists almost as a background music, it is the significant change in the base that drew my attention.
These effects can be surprising and unexpected.

The same can happen when attention is paid to vibration isolation.

I used to use a Sony CDP555ES cd player as a disc transport in my main system.

This player is very sturdily built. However, the top plate was just a sheet of thin metal.

I got the idea from the casework of the dCS Elgar that using stone as part of the case has sonic benefits.

I went to a monumental mason and had a 1" thick piece of granite cut to fit, which I blu-tacked to the top of the cd player.

I listened to Messiaen "Pentacostal Mass" not really expecting much at all.

Instead, there was a noticeable improvement in the bass which lost a previous indefinite slightly unstable "wandering" quality and became much better defined. A worthwhile result.

Future plans for my "cave" system certainly include a serious upgrade to the stands presently used.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #17,867 of 18,491
These effects can be surprising and unexpected.

The same can happen when attention is paid to vibration isolation.

I used to use a Sony CDP555ES cd player as a disc transport in my main system.

This player is very sturdily built. However, the top plate was just a sheet of thin metal.

I got the idea from the casework of the dCS Elgar that using stone as part of the case has sonic benefits.

I went to a monumental mason and had a 1" thick piece of granite cut to fit, which I blu-tacked to the top of the cd player.

I listened to Messiaen "Pentacostal Mass" not really expecting much at all.

Instead, there was a noticeable improvement in the bass which lost a previous indefinite slightly unstable "wandering" quality and became much better defined. A worthwhile result.

Future plans for my "cave" system certainly include a serious upgrade to the stands presently used.
I added GAIA feet to my speakers recently, they kill the vibration and de-couple the speakers from the floors as if they were hanged, the difference in sound is striking and yes the bass is much, much better. What was surprising was how the imaging got even stronger and clearer, really amazing.

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #17,869 of 18,491
If a £1250 mains cable improves the sound of a £8500 DAC drawing a few watts then something is seriously wrong, in my opinion.
If that mains cable does improve the sound then it is more likely that there is something wrong with the mains electric supply itself than with the Dave, and the mains cable is suppressing at least some of the mains supply problems.

If the mains problems are that bad then a battery-based solution isolated from the mains should be seriously considered.

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #17,870 of 18,491
If a £1250 mains cable improves the sound of a £8500 DAC drawing a few watts then something is seriously wrong, in my opinion.
It is not about power delivery, it is about protecting the DAC from external interference.

But I could relate to the sentiment that an expensive DAC should be well protected internally.

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #17,871 of 18,491
I liken it to not putting E10 in a Ferrari. When we buy high-precision bits of gear we should look after them do that they can give of their best. Putting an M Scaler and TT2 on a side board won’t stop them working, but siting them away from interference, electrical, mechanical and airborne, will handicap them less.

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #17,872 of 18,491
It is not about power delivery, it is about protecting the DAC from external interference.

But I could relate to the sentiment that an expensive DAC should be well protected internally.
For what it is worth, after I put the M Scaler on a battery, the effect of AQ Hurricane and power conditioner for DAVE diminished to the point that I cannot tell the difference between that and the DAVE plugged into the wall with a stock cable.
It seems that I chose the most expensive way to minimise effects of the ground loop between M Scaler and DAVE.
$200 battery does the job just as well.

Jan 5, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #17,873 of 18,491
For what it is worth, after I put the M Scaler on a battery, the effect of AQ Hurricane and power conditioner for DAVE diminished to the point that I cannot tell the difference between that and the DAVE plugged into the wall with a stock cable.
It seems that I chose the most expensive way to minimise effects of the ground loop between M Scaler and DAVE.
$200 battery does the job just as well.
What battery do you use?

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #17,875 of 18,491
Listen to this on your M Scaler and Chord DAC. Enjoy.
1000124733.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back