Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 27, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #17,836 of 18,483
Apologies if this has been asked and answered.
I noticed that SQ of my HMS/DAVE setup depends on many things including which power outlet I use for the HMS.
It sounds best when I connect the HMS to a different power line (not a dedicated HiFi 8AWG that the rest of my system is powered from).
The worst is when DAVE and HMS are both connected to the Niagara 3000 conditioner.
At first it appears counter intuitive, but could be explained by a theory the Rob Watts floated regarding a noise path between the HMS and DAVE through the mains.

Anyhow, I am about to explore the battery route.
Already ordered the Bixpower 12V one, but now considering getting a bigger one with a built-in inverter, something like this

https://grecell.com/products/portable-power-station-300w

It is about the same cost as the Bixpower, but more convenient, in my opinion.

Question: does anyone have an opinion on potential SQ differences between the battery and battery powered inverter?
I shouldnt use those stations as they use switching noisy inverters.

The bixpower is so good cause it can be connected using its 'raw' battery cells which are quiet without DC-DC conversion stage.

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #17,837 of 18,483
You have brightened up my christmas with that anecdote.
Wow I love this. It's just what they are told by the cult leader. It's great to feel that paying more money doesn't make any difference, it's pathetic and sad really. In my system and many others the difference is striking, but it's so nice and reassuring to be told others are idiots for falling for the "marketing BS" after all, a cheap Chi-Fi piece of crap DAC does the same and the SINAD is even higher (after the numbers are cooked) of course 😂 😂 😂 😂

Dec 27, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #17,838 of 18,483
I shouldnt use those stations as they use switching noisy inverters.

The bixpower is so good cause it can be connected using its 'raw' battery cells which are quiet without DC-DC conversion stage.
True, but I do not know how much of a problem the inverter’s noise is, given that the HMS PS has an effective filter built into it that in theory should take care of it.
As I understood it, the biggest benefit of a battery is to break the coupling between the DAVE and HMS through the mains with inverter accomplishes.
I will try both with my ears and report back.

Dec 27, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #17,839 of 18,483
I have gone a different route than a battery with good results: Optical isolation via Opto DX and electrical isolation using different power circuits.
- I have one dedicated electrical circuit/outlet for audio. My Dave and amps are connected to this audio circuit/outlet only.
- My M-Scaler and all digital sources are connected to a different power circuit/outlet.
M-Scaler and Dave are optically isolated via Opto DX.
For the Opto DX Receiver, I use the iFi Elite power adapter.

BTW: Has anyone compared the ifi Elite power adapters with a good battery source? I am very happy with the iFi Elite adapters in my Chord-DAC-based audio setups.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #17,840 of 18,483
Hahaha actually it was actually all over in a matter of ten minutes or so and I think he was more shocked than angry. It's funny how people are often decent underneath the vicious anonymous internet persona they can hide behind when with their tribe.
That brainwashing happening at the cult site is crazy man 😂 😂 😂

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #17,841 of 18,483
I have gone a different route than a battery with good results: Optical isolation via Opto DX and electrical isolation using different power circuits.
- I have one dedicated electrical circuit/outlet for audio. My Dave and amps are connected to this audio circuit/outlet only.
- My M-Scaler and all digital sources are connected to a different power circuit/outlet.

BTW: Has anyone compared the ifi Elite power adapters with a good battery source? I am very happy with the iFi Elite adapters in my Chord-DAC-based audio setups.
As far as I know, the OPTO-DX solution still calls for batteries on both sides of the transmission link, but this is a viable route to explore for sure.

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #17,842 of 18,483
Wow I love this. It's just what they are told by the cult leader. It's great to feel that paying more money doesn't make any difference, it's pathetic and sad really. In my system and many others the difference is striking, but it's so nice and reassuring to be told others are idiots for falling for the "marketing BS" after all, a cheap Chi-Fi piece of crap DAC does the same and the SINAD is even higher (after the numbers are cooked) of course 😂 😂 😂 😂
Hahaha, who needs costly gear when you have a low-end Chi-Fi DAC and the ability to prove others wrong with the magical touch of sarcasm?

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #17,843 of 18,483
From memory I think they were talked about as controlling the volume on future digital amps. As FunkyBassMan mentions, Rob already has several projects in the pipeline, so any digital amp is probably still several years away.
Okay, I see. Those buttons must be waiting patiently for their next big moment in the world of sound. They should rest in peace until then....! :beerchug:

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #17,844 of 18,483

Thats how i also see it as the best way.. the source gear can be together sharing a mains outlet or group but keep the DAC on its own isolated island without earth connected. (ideally with headphones)

This is how i use my setup for quite some time:
Simple_diagram.jpg

I have two paralleled toslinks on my music server to switch Mscaler fully in or out my chain. (not using red SR on it) No scaler if i play some modern bad studio over processed stuff.

The PSU on Dave i might want to change for dedicated non switching batteries.

Another idea is using a pair solar panels with a led array attached to make clean power to feed only Dave. Its SMPS can run on 90-240v DC. Then i lose the hassle of charging.
The panels, which take quite some space, i would put in the basement or attic running a cable with a mainsplug socket to only my DAC.

Dec 28, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #17,845 of 18,483
Hahaha actually it was actually all over in a matter of ten minutes or so and I think he was more shocked than angry. It's funny how people are often decent underneath the vicious anonymous internet persona they can hide behind when with their tribe.
I’m sure he’ll be posting his findings on their website though… :smirk:

Dec 28, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #17,846 of 18,483
Thats how i also see it as the best way.. the source gear can be together sharing a mains outlet or group but keep the DAC on its own isolated island without earth connected. (ideally with headphones)

Simple_diagram.jpg

I have two paralleled toslinks on my music server to switch Mscaler fully in or out my chain. (not using red SR on it) No scaler if i play some modern bad studio over processed stuff.

Another idea is using a pair solar panels with a led array attached to make clean power to feed only Dave. Its SMPS can run on 90-240v DC. Then i lose the hassle of charging.
The panels, which take quite some space, i would put in the basement or attic running a cable with a mainsplug socket to only my DAC.
Very nice and sensible approach.
Would I still benefit from expensive ferrite-treated BNC cables between HMS and DAVE in a battery powered HMS configuration?

Dec 28, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #17,847 of 18,483
Very nice and sensible approach.
Would I still benefit from expensive ferrite-treated BNC cables between HMS and DAVE in a battery powered HMS configuration?
I think yes cause HMS still sends out its 2GHz noise which the ferrites suppress.
Unless youre optic linked.

Dec 28, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #17,849 of 18,483

Thanks! That looks ideal if someone has the same needs as you. I do not use the headphone output of my Dave anymore. I now use Dave in my main speaker setup, so I need to connect an external power amp to it via analogue cables. Dave, the power amp and the iFi Power Elite (for the Opto DX receiver) share the dedicated audio outlet, nothing more. I have tried other setups as well, but this seems best for now, though I still have to test some remaining possible configurations in my chain.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #17,850 of 18,483

Simple_diagram.jpg

You're an engineer sir, I think eventually you need to design your own products from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back