Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 26, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #17,821 of 18,497
Has anyone added a tube amp to the HugoTT2 and MScaler combination? If so, was the difference enjoyable? Lastly, anyone use the Woo WA7 Gen3 specifically?
@alishafai yes, I have such setup with Feliks Audio Envy Performance Edition, IMHO a perfect combination for Hifiman Susvara, T+A Solitare (both models), Meze Empys (haven't heard Empys II yet) and Focals starting from Clears and going up in their product line. The only cans I am not yet convince if I prefer directly from TT2 or from Envy are Audeze MM-500 (IMHO a lot more enjoyable from LCD-5). T+A also sound awesome directly from TT2. There is also solid state amp I love using with TT2: AuroraSound HEADA.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #17,822 of 18,497
When i had chord anni with qutest/mscaler with my oppo pm1 headphone removing the anni amp and going direct from mscaler/tt2 the removal of the amp made a night and day difference ie no amp in the chain. Im using the same principle with tt2 powering efficient horn speakers direct with no amp. I dont have the chance to audition but have till the 27th to decide whether or not to go for the heresy 4 horn speakers by klipsch. These speakers are pictured on the previous page reviews are mostly great emphasising the live in your room sound vs the more precise sound from the kefs which are smaller,
As has been mentioned previously, don’t just go on sensitivity. I drive Dynaudio Special 40’s on just 15wpc monoblock valve amps with no problem, and it is not “near field”

Dec 26, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #17,823 of 18,497
I didnt like the sound of my headphones with the anni in the chain vs the tt2 direct so im thinking for me at least that would apply to driving speakers. In fact i returned the anni and found i could only listen to tt2 direct. The latest option are omega the super alnico high output monitors. Many dave users go direct into omegas. Im sure HQ tube amps can sound wonderful with the right speakers though.
1703592397459.png

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #17,824 of 18,497
I didnt like the sound of my headphones with the anni in the chain vs the tt2 direct so im thinking for me at least that would apply to driving speakers. In fact i returned the anni and found i could only listen to tt2 direct.
Chord Anni is probably not the easiest product to compare to.
First, Anni doesn't really provide more power than TT2
Second, I think Anni clips at 2V. So unless you were very careful at setting your TT2 to not clip Anni, you're going to get worse sound simply because you're clipping Anni.
So it's almost a guarantee that Anni would not sound better than TT2.

I think the challenge of switching from the KEF LS50 Meta to a more efficient speaker is that most high efficiency speakers have a bespoke frequency response. I personally prefer a neutral frequency response. So I would take a loss of transparency over an odd frequency response. I personally think that you should at least try TT2 with pretty much any amplifier with slightly more power (even if the amplifier is not transparent) just to see if you'll enjoy feeding your KEF LS50 Meta with more power first.

Dec 26, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #17,825 of 18,497
i meant anni on its own with qutest mscaler against tt2 on its own and with mscaler. for me at least tt2 direct enabled me to listen comfortably again.

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #17,826 of 18,497
When i had chord anni with qutest/mscaler with my oppo pm1 headphone removing the anni amp and going direct from mscaler/tt2 the removal of the amp made a night and day difference ie no amp in the chain. Im using the same principle with tt2 powering efficient horn speakers direct with no amp. I dont have the chance to audition but have till the 27th to decide whether or not to go for the heresy 4 horn speakers by klipsch. These speakers are pictured on the previous page reviews are mostly great emphasising the live in your room sound vs the more precise sound from the kefs which are smaller,
Yeah, I got the Anni (to drive difficult headphones from my DAVE) and really don't like it. The DAVE HP amp alone is much, much better (imo).

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #17,827 of 18,497
M-Scaler does make everything sound ethereal. Thank you! @Rob Watts
Sure does. Funny story, I recently had one of those Sound Science/ASR loonies over to my place because he'd DMed me that the M-Scaler is worthless, inaudible crap and I'm just a lemming who fell for marketing. So I bet him $500 I could hear a difference on my system and he took me up on it! (he's a former friend from high school and lives 20 min away) I put on some well-recorded piano material and gave him the remote. He could only set it to red or white, no intermediate sample rates. I went 12 for 12 - no joke. Of course the punk didn't pay me! In fact he didn't even bring any money, he was so sure he'd win. (I get the impression the whole reason those people pick on audiophiles is because they're too broke to afford anything.)

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #17,828 of 18,497
Sure does. Funny story, I recently had one of those Sound Science/ASR loonies over to my place because he'd DMed me that the M-Scaler is worthless, inaudible crap and I'm just a lemming who fell for marketing. So I bet him $500 I could hear a difference on my system and he took me up on it! (he lives 20 min away) I put on some well-recorded piano material and gave him the remote. He could only set it to red or white, no intermediate sample rates. I went 12 for 12 - no joke. Of course the punk didn't pay me! In fact he didn't even bring any money, he was so sure he'd win. (I get the impression the whole reason those people pick on audiophiles is because they're too broke to afford anything.)
You have brightened up my christmas with that anecdote.

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #17,829 of 18,497
Sure does. Funny story, I recently had one of those Sound Science/ASR loonies over to my place because he'd DMed me that the M-Scaler is worthless, inaudible crap and I'm just a lemming who fell for marketing. So I bet him $500 I could hear a difference on my system and he took me up on it! (he lives 20 min away) I put on some well-recorded piano material and gave him the remote. He could only set it to red or white, no intermediate sample rates. I went 12 for 12 - no joke. Of course the punk didn't pay me! In fact he didn't even bring any money, he was so sure he'd win. (I get the impression the whole reason those people pick on audiophiles is because they're too broke to afford anything.)
Funny, it sounds like your home became a fierce acoustic battlefield! Perhaps the next time, he'll remember to bring his wallet and a deeper appreciation for the impact of well-produced music and of course the M Scaler!

Dec 27, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #17,830 of 18,497
Funny, it sounds like your home became a fierce acoustic battlefield! Perhaps the next time, he'll remember to bring his wallet and a deeper appreciation for the impact of well-produced music and of course the M Scaler!
Hahaha actually it was actually all over in a matter of ten minutes or so and I think he was more shocked than angry. It's funny how people are often decent underneath the vicious anonymous internet persona they can hide behind when with their tribe.

Dec 27, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #17,831 of 18,497
Hahaha actually it was actually all over in a matter of ten minutes or so and I think he was more shocked than angry. It's funny how people are often decent underneath the vicious anonymous internet persona they can hide behind when with their tribe.
Whoa, an audio brawl lasting ten minutes! Brief and direct. It resembles speed dating for audiophiles, complete with red and white buttons. You're right, in person interactions can occasionally bring to light the human side that is hidden online. Who would have thought listening to audio debates could be so eye-opening?

Dec 27, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #17,832 of 18,497
1703701986500.png

Simply inquisitive, is the forthcoming product to which the quick start guide alludes already available or in the works?

Dec 27, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #17,833 of 18,497
1703701986500.png
Simply inquisitive, is the forthcoming product to which the quick start guide alludes already available or in the works?
From what I've read, I believe Rob is buried in three things right now: a Choral line upscaler with more taps, an Ultima DAC and an ADC. So I don't think those buttons will have a function for a while.

Dec 27, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #17,834 of 18,497
1703701986500.png
From memory I think they were talked about as controlling the volume on future digital amps. As FunkyBassMan mentions, Rob already has several projects in the pipeline, so any digital amp is probably still several years away.

Dec 27, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #17,835 of 18,497
Apologies if this has been asked and answered.
I noticed that SQ of my HMS/DAVE setup depends on many things including which power outlet I use for the HMS.
It sounds best when I connect the HMS to a different power line (not a dedicated HiFi 8AWG that the rest of my system is powered from).
The worst is when DAVE and HMS are both connected to the Niagara 3000 conditioner.
At first it appears counter intuitive, but could be explained by a theory that Rob Watts floated regarding a noise path between the HMS and DAVE through the mains.

Anyhow, I am about to explore the battery route.
Already ordered the Bixpower 12V one, but now considering getting a bigger one with a built-in inverter, something like this

https://grecell.com/products/portable-power-station-300w

It is about the same cost as the Bixpower, but more convenient, in my opinion.

Question: does anyone have an opinion on potential SQ differences between the battery and battery powered inverter?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back