Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 12, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #17,776 of 18,495
The convenience of not pushing a button is not enough for me to sacrifice that huge amount of sound quality. No way.
If I want that kind of “convenience to sound quality ratio” I would use apple air pods.
Apple air pods, are you having a laugh the level of bias here is bonkers, I have a Focal Stellia, that reassuring expensive enough for you?

You will not be "sacrificing a huge amount of sound quality" try it and see it really is eye-opening the level of detail that can be extracted from CD quality files by pre-scaling with HQPlayer and sending that to Mscaler either over optical or BNC using a SRC DX interface.

I have my HQPlayer embedded running on a Pi4, anything over 48Khz is passed straight through, there is a trial available too so if you already have a pi its free.

HQPlayer supports Roon and DLNA so it provides a good way to play files over Ethernet.

Rather than looking down on HQPlayer because Mscaler must be better cos it costs more isn't this hobby all about finding the best sound for your/my ears rather than just dismissing it.

My last post on this if anyone wants to try it, enjoy, for anyone too prejudiced to even try it, it may be your loss.

Dec 12, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #17,777 of 18,495
I've tried hqp several times (I bought it) and ended stop using it each time. Perhaps I must be not finding the right settings? (Out of a thousand possibilities). Mids and highs were fine, it was in bass texture I could not get it right, maybe my bad, idk

Dec 12, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #17,778 of 18,495
Apple air pods, are you having a laugh the level of bias here is bonkers, I have a Focal Stellia, that reassuring expensive enough for you?

You will not be "sacrificing a huge amount of sound quality" try it and see it really is eye-opening the level of detail that can be extracted from CD quality files by pre-scaling with HQPlayer and sending that to Mscaler either over optical or BNC using a SRC DX interface.

I have my HQPlayer embedded running on a Pi4, anything over 48Khz is passed straight through, there is a trial available too so if you already have a pi its free.

HQPlayer supports Roon and DLNA so it provides a good way to play files over Ethernet.

Rather than looking down on HQPlayer because Mscaler must be better cos it costs more isn't this hobby all about finding the best sound for your/my ears rather than just dismissing it.

My last post on this if anyone wants to try it, enjoy, for anyone too prejudiced to even try it, it may be your loss.
Your answer is full of assumptions. You assume I have not heard HQP. You assume I prefer expensive products no matter what. You assume I dismiss your preferences because I feel differently. You assume I am biased.
I did try HQP and to me it is not an improvement at all. Maybe it is an interesting study on how different filters change sound but none of the filters come close to WTA (of any tap length) imo. In my tests bit perfect data to Hugo 2 sounds better, not even mentioning Dave or M scaler. Maybe the Airpod comment was a bit on the extreme side, I take that😆.

Dec 12, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #17,779 of 18,495
Your answer is full of assumptions. You assume I have not heard HQP. You assume I prefer expensive products no matter what. You assume I dismiss your preferences because I feel differently. You assume I am biased.
I did try HQP and to me it is not an improvement at all. Maybe it is an interesting study on how different filters change sound but none of the filters come close to WTA (of any tap length) imo. In my tests bit perfect data to Hugo 2 sounds better, not even mentioning Dave or M scaler. Maybe the Airpod comment was a bit on the extreme side, I take that😆.
I assume a lot, perhaps I'm an ass.

Have you ever tried the specific setup I mentioned, using HQP to upscale 44.1 to 176.4 and then sending that to mscaler for upscaling to 705.6? Notice all integer up-sampling numbers here.

I suppose I'm sort of asking someone, anyone, to try it and confirm what I'm hearing, anyway I don't care because I like the results.

Its all good whatever, this kind of crazy stuff is just a hobby anyway. Vinyl is better than all this digital rubbish in any case.

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #17,780 of 18,495
I like the results.
Thats all what matters when it comes to your personal audio experience.
Vinyl is better than all this digital rubbish in any case.
Here we disagree again, enjoy👍
Have you ever tried the specific setup I mentioned, using HQP to upscale 44.1 to 176.4 and then sending that to mscaler for upscaling to 705.6?
Not that exact setup. I was prefering bit perfect Hugo 2 to all HQP settings into Hugo 2. I prefer M scaler + Hugo 2 to Hugo 2 alone. So I know that I prefer the wta algorithm. Therefor I am assuming it would be the same with that specific setup.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #17,781 of 18,495
After my new subwoofer//speaker set up i am sadly unable to fit in my wave stream bnc cables in the space i have available. I've put them up for sale at half price. Please check classifieds or message me if anyone is interested. Thanks MK.

BTW digital done properly destroys vinyl IMHO.

Dec 16, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #17,782 of 18,495
Anyone using door stopper for damping on top of mscaler, will it add any benefit?

this would be 1.5 lbs, is it safe to placed on top of mscaler?

61FxOVDFcdL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Dec 16, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #17,783 of 18,495
Anyone using door stopper for damping on top of mscaler, will it add any benefit?

this would be 1.5 lbs, is it safe to placed on top of mscaler?

I am doing it on all my equipement including mscaler and Enleum rm23 recently also using ISO puks mini under them and ikea butchers blocks lift in sound quality is nothing short of outstanding. I recommend trying to play with it it cost next to nothing in grand scheme of things and can be really beneficial.

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #17,786 of 18,495
I have a lamp on mine and I can change the sound from a darker signature to a brighter one by switching the lamp on and off.

How do you cope with a black tt2 and a silver mscaler?

With my ocd that would drive me crazy... 🤯

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #17,789 of 18,495
I'm dealing with that now, my TT-2 is black and M Scaler is silver 😂 😂 😂 I like the two-tone contrast 😂
Same, silver M scaler and black Dave for best transparency and darkest bass.😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back