Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 10, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #17,763 of 18,478
yes it is but only to 250k taps i think and 176khz

Dec 10, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #17,764 of 18,478
Dec 11, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #17,766 of 18,478
final word on the ddc. i tried my douk audio usb to optical convertor again. it plays 44//88/96 correctly and at the correct volume when compared to usb. optical in does definitely sound more natural. for now ill use it for roon and you tube. however it doesnt lock on 192 the only problem. for 192 qobuz ill use my ipod touch usb roon endpoint which is switched off when optical is used. its very easy to switch between them effortlessly. this might well be my final source solution. concluded many thanks to all.

1702279217076.png

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #17,767 of 18,478
final word on the ddc. i tried my douk audio usb to optical convertor again. it plays 44//88/96 correctly and at the correct volume when compared to usb. optical in does definitely sound more natural. for now ill use it for roon and you tube. however it doesnt lock on 192 the only problem. for 192 qobuz ill use my ipod touch usb roon endpoint which is switched off when optical is used. its very easy to switch between them effortlessly. this might well be my final source solution. concluded many thanks to all.

1702279217076.png
Doesn't lock on 192khz over optical? I do that all the time, check your optical cable, not all work well at 192khz. No need to spend a fortune (here we go again :) ) the one I got from Amazon for less than a tenner works fine at 192khz.

Correct, it just assumes 48k is video. That is the reason I never used it, because I listen to a lot of soundtracks and 48k tracks in general. Since I now have the Nvidia Shield TV, which allows video streaming without the lag as you can set up to one second delay, I only use the video option when playing video games.

Another great reason to pre-upscale 48khz to 192khz "music data" using HQPlayer before processing in the mscaler. Do that on your audio input and feed video input in at 48khz and auto option will work great.

Dec 11, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #17,768 of 18,478
Having lived with the M Scaler for two weeks now I just want to post how I am loving my new hi-fi!

There is something special about what this device does to digital music, particularly the dramatic change to the sound from CD. With just the Qutest on its own I was finding the sound from CD fatiguing and at times too bright - a kind of "glare" to the sound. Since using the M Scaler everything has just snapped into focus. The glare has gone and music just sounds real. You never worry about the listenability of live music, and I no longer worry about it with my hi-fi. Instruments now sound real and tangible, I am even starting to criticise microphone placement! Quite often piano, in particular, is too closely miked so that it lacks the venue acoustic and dominates the soundstage with other instruments pushed into the background, and it becomes obvious when microphones are placed more evenly to catch the natural acoustic making for a more natural live presentation.

CDs I had dismissed as not worth my time previously are now becoming favourites. I am loving Turkish composer Mercan Dede's mix of traditional Turkish and electronic instruments on his album "Nefes" (breath). The sound had me pinned to my seat whereas previously it just gave me a headache. I am also aware how some CDs are mastered for headphones and others for speakers. Streaming via my WiiM Pro is as good, and sometimes better, than from CD. I am mainly using Amazon Unlimited for pop / rock / electronic / jazz, and Idagio for classical. My poor turntable is getting hardly any use - although I have been playing some older classical LPs which still sound surprisingly good.

This is not doing much good for my exercise regime, I am spending far too much time on the couch...

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #17,770 of 18,478

1702279217076.png
The optical cable that comes with Chord products locks at 192 with my douk. It’s actually my goto for all things optical.

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #17,771 of 18,478
Another great reason to pre-upscale 48khz to 192khz "music data" using HQPlayer before processing in the mscaler. Do that on your audio input and feed video input in at 48khz and auto option will work great.
The convenience of not pushing a button is not enough for me to sacrifice that huge amount of sound quality. No way.
If I want that kind of “convenience to sound quality ratio” I would use apple air pods.

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #17,772 of 18,478
Having lived with the M Scaler for two weeks now I just want to post how I am loving my new hi-fi!

There is something special about what this device does to digital music, particularly the dramatic change to the sound from CD. With just the Qutest on its own I was finding the sound from CD fatiguing and at times too bright - a kind of "glare" to the sound.
Yeah, I had the same response. I find it very hard to listen without the M-Scaler (although I do when I'm traveling with the Hugo2). But it's really a different thing entirely.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #17,774 of 18,478
The Nordost Silver Shadow BNC cables arrived today. I must say I'm impressed with the improvements over the stock cables. (Thanks again, @GuiltyRocker for the suggestion!) The first improvement was in the lower treble. There was a very unpleasant grainy edge with the stock cables. It was removed with the replacements.
@rwelles
The most obvious to me is 'lesser in the head, more around the head, actually not in the head anymore at all.'
The M-scaler w/ stock cables brought a huge improvement in a more clearly delineated soundstage for each individual instrument. I didn't find (personally) that the overall size of the soundstage increased much.

The Nordost definitely increased the overall size.

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #17,775 of 18,478
The Nordost Silver Shadow BNC cables arrived today. I must say I'm impressed with the improvements over the stock cables. (Thanks again, @GuiltyRocker for the suggestion!) The first improvement was in the lower treble. There was a very unpleasant grainy edge with the stock cables. It was removed with the replacements.

The M-scaler w/ stock cables brought a huge improvement in a more clearly delineated soundstage for each individual instrument. I didn't find (personally) that the overall size of the soundstage increased much.

The Nordost definitely increased the overall size.
I love those Silver shadows, I removed them for a few weeks and tried different cables, then I plugged them in and wow, what a difference, no placebo whatsoever. It's the monofilament they use, all of the conductors are in air basically and the velocity of propagation is fantastic on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back