Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 16, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #17,611 of 18,495
I put this on the Chord Dave thread but thought as cables can be used on the M Scaler might be useful.

After a number of people asking about my DIY BNC ferrite core cables, referring to the latest and final ones using HFB159079-100 with Oyaide Cable and Oyaide BNC plugs, and if I had compared them to the Wave Storm Reference BNC cables.

Well I have finally got around to completing the test.

I would like to thank my friend who was kind enough to loan me his Wave Storm Reference cables.

Cylindrical Ferrite Cores used in my cables as said previously are HFB159079-100

I used two of the Audiowise SRC-DX so I can quickly switch from BNC 4 input to BNC 3 input on the Dave Dac when testing.

How I set things up.

Identical USB going out of Antipodes Server to USB input of the first Audiowise SRC-DX then my DIY BNC cable goes out of Audiowise SRC-DX BNC output into Dave BNC 4 input.

Identical USB going out of Antipodes Server to USB input of the second Audiowise SRC-DX then Wave Storm Reference BNC cable goes out of Audiowise SRC-DX BNC output into Dave BNC 3 input.

My findings when playing back music is that there was no change in sound when switching from Dave BNC 4 input having my DIY BNC cable to Dave BNC 3 input having Wave Storm Reference BNC cable.

YMMV

Hopefully this has answered all those that messaged me asking. Anyone wanting to have a go at DIY BNC that is unsure with anything such as say the soldering or materials I am happy to help just drop me a PM.

Thanks

These are my DIY cables used in the test.

How much does it cost to make 2?

Oct 17, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #17,612 of 18,495
This one contrasts intimide acoustic guitar with scaled philharmonic, just wonderful on HMS :wink:

Screenshot_20231017-201314_FoobarCon.jpg

Oct 18, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #17,613 of 18,495
A quick question for Rob and everyone else.

I have a DXD recording of Carmen Sings The Blues, which sounds terrific.

After reacquainting myself with some signal theory (my background is applied math), I tried the following interesting experiment. I TPDF dithered the recording to 8 bits, which, after FLAC encoding, cut its size nearly ten times. My theory books tell me using TDPF dither it should have an SNR of about 64 dB at 8 bits. Now I know the M-Scaler will double that, giving an extra 3 dB SNR to 67db. The TT2 does 16x256 = 4096 oversampling or 6 bits, giving an extra 36 dB SNR or 100 dB SNR. I thought there was no way it was going to sound any good. But I played it through my Macbook downsampled to 88.2k, and it sounded surprisingly good - all I could detect was a faint hiss from the TDPF dither on quiet passages.

But now, for the acid test - what would it sound like through the M-Scaler and TT2? I was floored. It sounded the same as the DXD. I tried it on others with the same result. I know 100 db is a reasonable resolution, but I was not expecting this.

Do others have any other thoughts, by chance?

If you have a genuine DXD recording, you might like to try it yourself.

Thanks
Bill

Oct 20, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #17,614 of 18,495
How much does it cost to make 2?
Just a comment that I own the copyright of the design and this protects it from being reproduced for private or commercial purposes.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #17,616 of 18,495
A quick question for Rob and everyone else.

I have a DXD recording of Carmen Sings The Blues, which sounds terrific.

After reacquainting myself with some signal theory (my background is applied math), I tried the following interesting experiment. I TPDF dithered the recording to 8 bits, which, after FLAC encoding, cut its size nearly ten times. My theory books tell me using TDPF dither it should have an SNR of about 64 dB at 8 bits. Now I know the M-Scaler will double that, giving an extra 3 dB SNR to 67db. The TT2 does 16x256 = 4096 oversampling or 6 bits, giving an extra 36 dB SNR or 100 dB SNR. I thought there was no way it was going to sound any good. But I played it through my Macbook downsampled to 88.2k, and it sounded surprisingly good - all I could detect was a faint hiss from the TDPF dither on quiet passages.

But now, for the acid test - what would it sound like through the M-Scaler and TT2? I was floored. It sounded the same as the DXD. I tried it on others with the same result. I know 100 db is a reasonable resolution, but I was not expecting this.

Do others have any other thoughts, by chance?

If you have a genuine DXD recording, you might like to try it yourself.

Thanks
Bill
Interesting.

Oct 21, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #17,618 of 18,495
Just a comment that I own the copyright of the design and this protects it from being reproduced for private or commercial purposes.

Ok I understand but I have a parts list and it's clear you are making an absolute killing on the prices you charge for these cables. Im not being Richard about it, everyone needs to make money don't they.

Oct 21, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #17,620 of 18,495
Ok I understand but I have a parts list and it's clear you are making an absolute killing on the prices you charge for these cables. Im not being Richard about it, everyone needs to make money don't they.
And…it’s not just about the parts.

Oct 22, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #17,622 of 18,495
I find them too expensive also, but where I live it is a used business model to sell at 3x price of strict source material price, be that a Tshirt or cable.
The individual oyaide plug you buy yourself has prolly undergone the very same pricing strategy..

I understand everyone's point of view. All I'm sure of is... not buying them unless for max 1000 a set. Then again I find myself a hypocrite looking what I bought already.... Yeah certainly mixed feelings 🙄

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #17,623 of 18,495
Years of R&D did not go in to designing those cables.

You can make it with the same oyaide silver 5n digital cable, oyaide plugs and same spec ferrite for 1/3 of the wave “reference” model you just don’t get the branding.
Branding?

There will have been quite a bit of experimenting to get to the final design but more importantly, it’s a low-volume and very niche product. If you sell at high volume then you can afford to take less profit per unit sold. He’s not having them made in China - he’s making them himself, therefore he will be putting a value on his time. So you are paying for the quality of components, a proven design and the time taken to produce and supply them.

If I was making them then I’d be applying the same rate to my time as I do in my work - no reason I should sell my finite asset for less - and, as a consequence, they wouldn’t be cheap.

If you want to copy someone else’s design and make them yourself then good for you, but the vast majority of people wouldn’t know where to begin. It’s easy to say how simple something is to do when someone else has put the effort into doing it.

Oct 22, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #17,624 of 18,495
I guess whether or not he’s ‘making a killing’ depends what value your time has. As I said above, he’s not having them made in China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back