Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 26, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #17,161 of 18,492
I’m fascinated by this but relatively ignorant. You’re taking the TT2 off the mains and running it effectively off a battery? Is it as simple as it sounds as in my home set up it could have considerable merit just in terms of freeing up sockets? How often does the battery need charging and what are the specific impacts on sound quality.

May 26, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #17,162 of 18,492
I’m fascinated by this but relatively ignorant. You’re taking the TT2 off the mains and running it effectively off a battery? Is it as simple as it sounds as in my home set up it could have considerable merit just in terms of freeing up sockets? How often does the battery need charging and what are the specific impacts on sound quality.
With the Poweroak K2’s I disconnect the charger from the mains in the morning and then reconnect them when I finish listening. So they charge overnight and are fully charged by the time I start listening. The charge lasts all day and evening.

May 26, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #17,163 of 18,492
I think one of the guys in the US or Canada has posted about using the emergency batteries that he bought as preparation for snowy weather during the winter causing power cuts.

May 27, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #17,166 of 18,492
Interesting. So, sound quality…
To me maybe the biggest thing I prefer running the M-Scaler off battery is that the transients aren't so "poky". Things like hi-hats, snares, beginnings of piano notes, pizzicati lose brashness and have more weight and sound more natural. This makes a big difference to the brain accepting the music as real and it feeling acoustic, at least to me.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #17,167 of 18,492
Rob Watts has posted about using power banks to power TT2 and MScaler on aircraft flights, so it is possible but some power banks are quieter noise wise than others.
I think he travels with the Hugo 2 and M Scaler. And, I don't think he runs TT2 off power banks, only the M Scaler.

Does anyone know for a fact whether he runs the TT2 off of a power bank as well?

May 31, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #17,168 of 18,492
I
To me maybe the biggest thing I prefer running the M-Scaler off battery is that the transients aren't so "poky". Things like hi-hats, snares, beginnings of piano notes, pizzicati lose brashness and have more weight and sound more natural. This makes a big difference to the brain accepting the music as real and it feeling acoustic, at least to me.
I agree.

Jun 1, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #17,170 of 18,492
I think he travels with the Hugo 2 and M Scaler. And, I don't think he runs TT2 off power banks, only the M Scaler.

Does anyone know for a fact whether he runs the TT2 off of a power bank as well?
In my system there was no sonic difference when using power bank (the very good but no longer available in the UK PowerAdd pilot 2) from mains via the supplied SMPS. There is zero difference on the measurements in the audio bandwidth too; there is a negligible 0.5dB degradation with a 100kHz bandwidth - the other multiple SMPS I tested, when selecting the unit for TT2, measured very poorly though with the high bandwidth test. The SMPS supplied is very much a special case.

Jun 1, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #17,171 of 18,492

Jun 2, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #17,172 of 18,492
In my system there was no sonic difference when using power bank (the very good but no longer available in the UK PowerAdd pilot 2) from mains via the supplied SMPS. There is zero difference on the measurements in the audio bandwidth too; there is a negligible 0.5dB degradation with a 100kHz bandwidth - the other multiple SMPS I tested, when selecting the unit for TT2, measured very poorly though with the high bandwidth test. The SMPS supplied is very much a special case.
Isnt it true the power input filters in TT2 are (on purpose by you?) aimed at the specific switching frequency and harmonics of the chosen SMPS?

Assuming your system uses TT2 driving your speakers directly.. did you also measured the SMPS switching noise towards the mains and a possible connected (headphone)amp?

Jun 2, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #17,173 of 18,492
The filters, together with the supercaps, means that it filters from 5Hz to GHz. There are no specific notches to cover the switching frequency.

The APX 555 measurement gear is mains connected too so can be considered as an external amp as the APX 555 suffers quite badly from mains and earthing noise loops.

Jun 2, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #17,174 of 18,492
the APX 555 suffers quite badly from mains and earthing noise loops.
Its a plus the original SMPS has no earth so this cant give issues.

Jun 2, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #17,175 of 18,492
Hi Rob, thank you firstly for beeing active on this forum, think I speak for everyone that this is much appreciated,

So if I understand correctly no additional benefit for the TT2 to have a powerbank compared to the SMPS that it comes with and only the Mscaler benefit with a powerbank?

2. And using a powerbank will substitute any of the expensive special external coax cables and eliminate the possibility of "RFI noise"?

3. Connesting the Mscaler from a steramer as in my case is it always better to use optical or is it the same using USB?

4. Another final ?? if I am looking for a powerbank such as the ones described previously, is there anything specific to look out for? would the below be suitable for the Mscaler? Live in Sweden so need to avoid VAT and import duties...

https://poweroak.eu/power-banks/100...50000mah-laptop-power-bank-8719324080118.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back