Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 14, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #17,102 of 18,491
Is anyone finding value in having the HMS on a hifi shelf or feet? Details of what’s worked for you and what hasn’t, please?

I have my MScaler on a shelf on my solid oak hifi rack, each shelf is isolated on spiked feet. I then have the MScaler sitting on Stillpoints Mini SS isolation footers, which in turn are sitting on Black Ravioli Pads.

Initially I tried the Iso Acoustics Orea, but I found they flattened the soundstage and clarity of imaging was not up to it's usual standard.

The Stillpoints directly on the oak shelf had the opposite effect, they really brought things into focus however everything felt a little exaggerated, dare I say digital. I then came across an article where the writer had had a similar experience with the Stillpoints, after some experimentation he tried the Black Ravioli pads under the Stillpoints and was pleased with the result, hence I tried it myself and for my listening tastes this combination gave me the result I was looking for.

I also have the Stillpoints/Black Ravioli combo under the Dave, with even more dramatic results. Not a cheap solution by any means, but it really works for me.

Apr 14, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #17,103 of 18,491
Is anyone finding value in having the HMS on a hifi shelf or feet? Details of what’s worked for you and what hasn’t, please?
My stereo components are in a BDI TV shelf. Since there’s limited space, HMS is sitting on a glass shelf. And with listening to speakers, you can imagine there’s lots of vibrations. So I actually have the HMS on Nordost Sort Kone TC which definitely improves clarity and low-level details. Not sure why. I presume it’s because the dual BNC cables are vibrating less?

But I presume whether vibration isolation helps HMS depends on whether you’re listening to speakers or headphones and how much vibrations your environment experiences. Sadly, these things are all about trial and error. I have found the same Sort Kones worsen the sound with DAVE and my Chord Etude amp. So I ended up using Symposium isolation platforms for those components. It helps to have a good dealer who can loan you the products to try at home to ensure good system synergy.

Apr 14, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #17,105 of 18,491
I had the opposite effect, the M scaler tamed down the sibilance, then again I am using it with external amps and speakers, I tried the DAVE Headphone amp and I didn't like it at all.
Me too. I have trouble listening to the Dave without the MScaler. I appreciate what it's doing (so transparent, you can hear every little thing). But I don't have the same visceral response from the music.

Apr 22, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #17,106 of 18,491
Apr 22, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #17,107 of 18,491
I second Vibrapod Isolators most definitely. Inexpensive and efficient.

Attachments

• 12A87C6F-02E2-4E96-B550-2936FBF9DB24.jpeg
    12A87C6F-02E2-4E96-B550-2936FBF9DB24.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #17,108 of 18,491
Any of you guys switch out the power cables for higher end ones and use a power conditioner such as torus TOT max? Or is this overkill?
Im gonna try the TOT MAX model. It only has 4 oulets.

I was wondering if I could add a simple powerstrip of 6 outlets and run all available outlets.

Total of 9 outlets and the WATT is under 600watt/4-5A in total.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #17,109 of 18,491
I don't know if I'm going crazy but I changed stock BNC Cables to Geistnote clock cables and i hear changes in sound in a positive way... I do not think its a placebo as the difference was immediate..I was wishing that i wouldn't hear difference now its complicated

May 1, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #17,110 of 18,491
I don't know if I'm going crazy but I changed stock BNC Cables to Geistnote clock cables and i hear changes in sound in a positive way... I do not think its a placebo as the difference was immediate..I was wishing that i wouldn't hear difference now its complicated
Many, including me, have had similar experiences after changing stock cables to a better set. 🤘

May 2, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #17,111 of 18,491
Many, including me, have had similar experiences after changing stock cables to a better set. 🤘
After i went optical linked.. i stopped looking further to that cause thats the reference connection.

May 2, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #17,112 of 18,491
You're not going crazy, I have these 4 sets, the stock, Nordost Silver shadows, Pangea, and Blue Jeans cable Belden. They all sound different, my preference is the Nordost as it allows more resolution to come through.

May 2, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #17,113 of 18,491
Does anyone know if the USB input draws voltage/current from say a Rpi4 when connected? I saw in the manual where it states to use cable which has the 5v wiring when using the USB input, was wondering what the voltage/current draw would be. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back