Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 4, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #17,087 of 18,537
Yep, I can play 24/192 from Qobuz through Roon and HQPlayer with no problem. I‘m using a MacMini M1 for Roon Core and HQPlayer and playback and it is not remotely stressed. There are free trials of Roon, Qobuz, Tidal and HQPlayer so really easy to give it a shot. There is perhaps a slightly longer delay between pressing play and hearing music with HQP than without it, but that depends on the settings you choose.
Awesome, thanks. I adore my M-Dave, but would be curious to hear HQPlayer too.

Apr 4, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #17,089 of 18,537
HQ player can hit or mis depending on what settings it's set. A little can of worms.
Indeed. Mostly miss when compared with the M Scaler in my experience.

Apr 5, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #17,090 of 18,537
Just got KabelDirekt mni toslink cable, wanted to replace Amazon basic cable between Del XPS laptop and MScaler. Unfortunately does not work with 192 Khs, only CD quality it supports.

When I turn off Passthrough MQA on Tidal nothing is passed to MScaler, if turn on MScaler get CD quality input and everything plays.
Surprisingly Amazon basic cable support upto 92 Khz, I can see incoming sample rate turn green on 192 Khs songs.

However with Amazon basic I cannot hear much difference between Passthrough MQA on of off.
Anyone of you can hear with Passthrough switch, what is recommended setting on Tidal for MScaler?

i use kabel direkt toslink cables and they work fine at 192khz with mscaler and tt2 Worked perfect for 4 years now

Apr 5, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #17,091 of 18,537
I am looking for bnc-bnc cables to connect the TT2 +M Scaler.
The favorites would be Wave Storm, Stream, but i live in the EU and the fees from England(customs, VAT and shipping would increase the price by 40%).
That's why I'm thinking about a cheaper variant that would provide a noticeable square shift compared to the original cables. Nordost, Chord, Wireworld, Cardas, Sotm, Audioquest brands are available in my country. Unfortunately, everything is made to order, without the possibility of a demo. Can you recommend some good sounding bnc-bnc cables at a reasonable price?
I'll just point out that I don't want to deal with opto-dx or battery power. I am only concerned with cables available in the EU.

If you spoke to nick aka wave cables, he may be able to help you out so that you might not need to pay the full extra 40% bullschit. I say bullschit because I have all but stopped buying stuff from the eu due to the fee’s.

Send nick a message and see what he says.

Apr 10, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #17,093 of 18,537
That’s how I started. HQ Player trial gives you 30 mins each time (just close the program and reopen for another 30, etc). Hearing what it could do convinced me to buy the HMS
Gotcha, where did you end up? Lol

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #17,096 of 18,537
Very curious if the new Choral Mscaler coming out this year (hopefully) will be better or eliminates current RF issues. Probably will end up getting it used. I really like the concept of it.

I didn't hear much difference when using the Mscaler. I was only using the headphone out of the Dave at the time. I felt it added some slight harshness which I think was due to RF noise. After that I went solo Dave + Farad3 and haven't looked back. Curious now that I have the Envy if Mscaler difference would be more noticeable.

Apr 11, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #17,097 of 18,537
Very curious if the new Choral Mscaler coming out this year (hopefully) will be better or eliminates current RF issues. Probably will end up getting it used. I really like the concept of it.

I didn't hear much difference when using the Mscaler. I was only using the headphone out of the Dave at the time. I felt it added some slight harshness which I think was due to RF noise. After that I went solo Dave + Farad3 and haven't looked back. Curious now that I have the Envy if Mscaler difference would be more noticeable.
That’s an interesting finding. It seems that there’s quite a divide on experiences with the HMS. I do wonder why

Apr 12, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #17,098 of 18,537

I had the opposite effect, the M scaler tamed down the sibilance, then again I am using it with external amps and speakers, I tried the DAVE Headphone amp and I didn't like it at all.

Apr 13, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #17,099 of 18,537
@zenlisten I have a very positive experience with isolation transformer. I can`t say that I had any problems with mains. Everything was great before I bought balanced mains unit, but it becomes clearly better after. I`m using Airlink BPS1502EU. It`s not an expensive audiophile unit in fancy case, but I love what it have done to sound of my system.

Transformer like this might help in your case if the noise is in the mains.
How is the airlink working out?

I have read so much but understood so less. I read they can be dangerous, but why would it be sold if they can kill/shock people?

Airlink has made them since 1982.

How is yours connected - extra powerstrip?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back